Bathing the Dog

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I took Winston for a run in the woods at lunchtime today - he ran I walked ;) and towards the end of the trail was a dam full of mucky stagnant, silt filled water. Two EU's were feeding the resident Ducks and Swans and Winston decided to join in - I don't know who made more commotion, the EU's as they ran screaming from him or the Swans who raised their wings in defence :)

Anyway, unperturbed Winston typical Boxer fashion decided to give the Swans a run for their money and lept into the water after them - I didn't know he could swim, neither did he lol - kerplush, straight in, straight under, back up, thrashed around swam to the bank.
He was black with foul smelling silty water, his white bits were charcoal coloured, the rest of him glistened with rank water :eek:

I got him back to the pickup where he was towelled down but he had to be back at work so no shower for him - the truck stank, the dog stank, the stench was borderline unbearable!

Back on the job he dried out and there was no getting away from it - Bath Time when we got home :ROFLMAO: :p

Now getting Winston up the stairs requires a deal of cunning when he knows what's about to happen, and once on the landing he made a bolt for it - grabbing a back leg, then his collar, then trying to drag him in the direction of the bathroom, eventually picking him clean off the ground where he was digging in with all fours and into the bathroom we went - nope he made a bolt for it, and the same procedure was adopted :LOL:

Once inside the door was shut, the shower head on the bath tap turned on, collar off, shampoo mixed with water, dog airlifted into bath. He surrendered, he knew that resistance was futile, the muck that came off him was putrid, but he emerged from beyond the grime back to his former smooth suave sophisticated self :love:

Tap turned off - towels at the ready, he shook wildly spraying what remained of the dry bathroom, dog hairs, water, and towels everywhere - door opened and woosh he was gone - flew down the stairs and through the house like a dog possessed.
A mad charge around the garden back through the house and he was virtually dry once again lol

He's fed, watered, bathed and tired again now - but clean for now :geek::D

c oo ki e

o_O
our ellie really loved water and swimming etc.
try and get her in the bath though.. absolutely no chance!
bless her.
:)

Last edited:

bluemack

Site Supporter
Same story for me Dave, o.k once he,s in the bath BUT trying to get him in is another story
and take 2/3 hours to dry out.(Border Collie):(

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
:ROFLMAO: Sobbing reading that :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Bet you don't dare put T's version of events on here.:eek:

matchstickman25

Welcome to my world.

Oh I'm really looking forward to the winter (sarcasm). In fact, I don't know how lucky I've been with this drought.

JayBee

Site Supporter
Been there, done that, same problems......We now bath my dog on the back lawn with buckets of warm water and don't let him in the house until he's had a good shake, then towelled over, to at least just damp.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
If you think that smelt rank you've never had a dog roll in fox sh*t,my Springer did it and the drive home was horrendous,fortunately we only have to say 'bath' and she jumps in it,she took to laying in it during the hot weather as it was probably the coolest place in the bungalow.

richc

We've got a 12v portable pressure washer, great for the mountain bikes but ( set to a wide spray pattern ) even better for washing off our two springers.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Know what you mean about the fox doo doos. One of our dogs did it last week and even the other dog didn't want to get in the car with it.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Completely empathise mate, I ended up using the back lawn instead of the bathroom.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
My wife has a similar problem with me, when I come home knackered and stinking after a Sunday club match.
:p

NevG

When I first moved to Frodsham I had two Patterdale Terriers, both were nutjobs and would chase anything that had a fur coat. On one Summers day I went over onto the Frodsham marshes and the one that hated foxes saw one and off they went, every smelly ditch and every stinking hole they went through and the only way I tracked them down was to follow where they went in then follow the black footprints.

When they did eventually come back they had two big like smiles on their chops and were covered in stinking mud. Back at home the fox chase instigator was tied to the back door while I got the hose on the other, the stink was unbearable, the other thought she had escaped and was hiding under a bush she got the hose too.

Then it was bath time, dunno who was wetter me or them

Both these dogs were used in the beat line to flush out birds in the hedgerows where the Springers and Cocker's couldn't get in and went out with me to roost shoot pigeons they had a great life.

Now I have a Cavapoo that can't even remember where he dropped his ball let alone retrieve it:oops:

Last edited: