Basic Pole Elastic Question

Mothman

I have just purchased my first pole a Middy XM10-3 which comes with 1 x Power 2 kit & 1 x Match 3 kit. With the help of You Tube I have manged to elasticate the Power 2 kit with Black 12-14 Hybrid Elastic. I plan to elasticate the Match 3 kit (which is telescopic) with Yellow 6-8 Hybrid, but before I start can someone confirm if I should run the elastic through all 3 sections of the Match kit or is it usual to only eleasticate the top 2 sections of Match kits?

Just to confirm that I will not be using side pullers as I'm reluctant to start drilling holes in my new pole in case I mess it up. Thanks

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think you’ll find putting elastic in the top two is enough Mothman. I use the top two in my match kits. If I’m on a lot of small fish that I know I can swing to hand I have some No1 sections that are elasticated. Same rating elastic but, don’t stretch too far allowing me to swing fish in.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I always leave the slim no 1 section off , bush the number 2 and elasticate the no's 2 and 3. If I am only after silvers then I elasticate the number 2 only usually with a six or eight laccy..

richox12

Unfortunately it depends on the length & diameter of the No 1 section. If it's really thin - the sort you couldn't get any elastic through without cutting most if not all away - then you might be best taking it out and threading the No 2 & No 3. If it's a sensible length & diameter and needs only some cutting you might be OK with the cut No 1 & No 2. Or even all 3. But being telescopic packing away with elastic inside can be a pain so be careful.

Mothman

Many thanks for the replies. In the end I decided to elasticate all 3 Match setions purely on the basis that I can then shorten it to 2 at a later date if necessary. I managed to fit a small external bush to the tip of section 1 without cutting back which was just big enough to allow the 1.4mm Yellow elastic to run, however I needed to use almost all the 3Metres of elastic and closing the telescopic sections back down with the elastic inside was a bit of a pain, so this may not be the final solution.

Last edited:

RMNDIL

1.4m is quite fine especially if you fitted an external bush. You might well find the tip (kit) bends a lot with reasonable fish on.

When pushing the sections back down for storage pull the elastic out from the connector end at the tip as you go to take all of the slack up and then wind it around something to keep it tidy and undamaged.

Mothman

Thanks for the tip. This pole malarkey is all new to me, so I guess it's going to be steep learning curve and I'm bound to make plenty of mistakes along the way.