Barton Court Fishery,Hungerford,Berkshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Witness

It's many a year since I caught a grayling.Memories of fishing the River Wharfe on Bradford City and Bradford No.1's stretches at Addingham keep coming back!
Poles who I've fished with for ages had never caught a grayling and was keen to break his duck and clock up another species in the fishing race.
So at 5.45 on Sunday 23rd we set off from Flitwick and motored steadily southwest towards Hungerford.
We arrived at Barton Court to be greeted by the bailiff's wife clad in her dressing gown!No we did not tarry but armed with a map we drove down to the river to wait for Bob the bailiff.
Having parked and given the river a quick glance I now found out that Poles is not a Maggot Drowner but a member of the Maggot Liberation Front.The boot and the rear footwell of the car were heaving with an army of angry red maggots.BE WARNED IF YOU GO FISHING WITH POLES GO IN HIS CAR OR MAKE SURE HE HAS CLOSED HIS MAGGOT BOX LIDS CORRECTLY!
Bob the bailiff arrived to find us with the spare wheel out and half the car stripped out hunting for rogue maggots.
After some advice and details of the fishery from Bob it was down to fishing!
Armed with my old Bruce and Walker float road and old Youngs cenrepin(makes me sound like Chris Yates) I was soon trotting maggots on a stick float rig down a rapid run near the fishing hut.
After two or three trots the float disappeared and the first fish of the day was on.A nice rainbow of about 2.5 to 3lbs.This was soon followed by a nice brownie of the same weight.Both put up excellent scraps in the strong current.
Poles,armed with his brand new Shakespeare centrepin and virgin Maver float rod was getting a few bites but did not connect.
After the first swim died we leapfrogged downstream and eventually I hit a grayling,very tiny but at least a grayling!
This was quickly followed by a nice dace of nearly half a pound and then a much smaller one.
Poles was now wondering if he was going to catch but fishing a nice racey swim below a bidge he soon connected with a rainbow which gave his new tackle a thorough christening.
Time for a cigar to celebrate!
After lunch we had a lean time until the magical moment for Poles arrived.HIS FIRST EVER GRAYLING.
Photo taken we again took up the roving approach but only managed to pick up small roach everynow and then.
In the late afternoon I arrived at what looked to be a classic swim at the confluence of two feeder streams.So it proved to be.
Roach after roach came to the net among them a fish well over the pound mark.A beautiful fish with thick shoulders,it certainly fought well in the strong current.
Poles arrived and being the perfect gentleman(despite the maggot escape)I let him into the swim where he took several roach and a lovely perch well over the pound mark.
A small perch for me and then it was time to pack in.
A couple of pints in The Sow and Pigs on the way home rounded off agood day out.
A little disappointing on the grayling front but some other excellent fish to compensate.
Poles had his digital camera so I'm sure he will soon post some photos of our trip to Barton Court Fishery.
Richard.
A member of THE ANTI MAGGOT LIBERATION FRONT.
[:(!][8D]

MALC

Nice report Richard....

Glad you both had a good day's fishing [:D]

As you say though it's strange that nick never mentioned the MAGGOT's in his report.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

The Witness

Thanks Malc.
I think Nick was just a little embarrassed about the escape!
Cheers Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.