Barrybloke's guide to a D.I.Y Wormery

chris w

pc problem solver
this was a guide prepared by barrybloke one of our members

Ive had a few Muckers IM me regarding setting up a wormery and Ive answered a couple but theres a few more waiting so here is the way I did it. As always there will be people with different ideas this is the way it works for me.

I went into Hypervalue and bought an oblong clear plastic container with a lid, it also has wheels which may come in handy one day.Its around 4 times the size of a Shakespeare box and the same shape and it cost me a tenner. This is far better than a plastic dustbin for 3 big reasons.

1. Its clear and the heat builds up making the food rot back quicker, Greenhouses arent black right ??

2. When the heats on the little buggers bonk like the clappers.

3. Its a much better shape with a larger surface area, easier to work with,and because its clear the worms dont crawl up the sides as they hate the light.

I drilled decent drainage holes around a centimetre each in the bottom and then put it on top of a small wall in my garden. This to save me getting backache when using it, and I put a brick under each corner to aid drainage.(very important)

I took some weed repressant that I had handy but sacking or any old material that will allow liquid to pass through, and put it over the bottom. Then go to Wickes and buy a bag of ballast, £1.39 and tip it in. Your worms dont like this and wont dig through it.

Go to your local stables with garden fork wellies and buckets and ask them can you take some worms.Find yourself an area in their old dung heap were theres loads of them and fill your buckets up.Its worth digging round for 5 minutes and you will find hotspots.My box took 3 fertilizer sacks full.Tip your worms in their new home but you dont want it more than two thirds full because you have to feed them.

Tea bags ,coffee grains,garden waste,left over veggies,fruit.Some people dont put fruit in because you get fruit flies, they make no difference and the red worms love fruit.

I dont put in onions or egg shells, eggshells bloody hurt if you get one down your finger nail and well onions just stink.

I left mine for a month when I first made it and just fed them every day, (we go through loads of tea bags). Now I can just disturb the top layer and drag a 3 pt tub and fill it in a second, put the lid back and go and catch some skimmers. Hope this helps

tight lines

Last edited:

chris w

pc problem solver
well keep them fed obviously and i would suggest out of the cold if it is not abig wormery other wise it shoud be ok as long as it does not freeze i place mine in the garden shed or if you have a green house put in there

adama

Nice guide. I used to have a beauty of a compost heap at my parents that produced masses of quality worms!

i think Ill give this a crack next weekend though!Do you have to put any small air holes in the lid?

Jimmy P

What a great idea, i might have to try this. Worms from any tackle/bait shop are bloody expensive.
Thanks for the help mate.

bluntbaby

Originally posted by guff

What is ballast (cement)

The stuff you use to knock up concrete, sort of coarse sand and gravel really, we sell it for 1.70 for 40kg so it wont break the bank

The Brattster

I think you mean agregate... I read that they dont like citrus or onions but pretty much anything else like veg and cooked veg scraps.. I usually shave a carrot into em and put a big tile on the surface, when you lift the tile they are rampant, having a nosh... I didnt bother with the sacking and drilling holes but you are right, it is important to get rid of the worm water from the bottom so I just turn mine over as it is just as important to keep it all moist and I keep mine inside in my tackle room all the time.

Mickle

Hi ,I have started a wormery,some months ago with a handfull of worms given to me originally from horse manure. What i'm getting nowis a very large amount of white worms about the size of a fingernail, and not many worms of the normal colour. my problem now is one person tells me that they are the young worms, and another tells me that thay are parasitic worms, thats my dillema. can you throw any light on the subject,I would be much obliged. I don't fancy digging the wifes well kept garden up to much for earth worms
Mickle

rourke7719

Big Stu
the white ones I think are called pot worms, and as far as i am aware they don't have any ill effect. don't use lob worms in a wormery where you are throwing in food on the top, they are deep burrowing worms and not suitable for a composting wormery. best to use denrabaenas or brandlings

thedoggler

Feed the bread to the birds. You don't want to put anything in your wormery that might attract vermin.The best things to feed them are tea bags ripped open and a few finely cruched eggshells once a week which reduce the acidity and keep the worms happier. Stick to dendrabaenas too. They're better for fishing than bandlings (tiger worms) and they breed quicker too, so your supply should replenish itself pretty quickly.

Cooky

my neighbour bought one of these last year and we have been filling it with kitchen waste only peelings, egg shells, cardboard,teabags and garden waste flowers etc

he bought about 5 pots of worms (brandlings) from an angling shop the bin is now around 3/4 full and all i have to do is pull back a little of the waste to reveal enough worms for a days fishing all different sizes so just choose the sizes you want and there is thousands in there and they breed like rabbits lol

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/buy_a_bin/index.html

not the best of pics but here is a few

When white worms are showing this can be a sign of the acidity being high, putting in egg shells once a week will sort this.

T1Cybernetic

I've had mine up and running for a while now (1 year+) and it always has enough worms for hook bait very, very easily but i never have enough for a good chopped worm session and i usually have to go get some lobbies or find some red worms from the local manure which is not so easy some days.

Anyhow i am wanting to make mine BIGGER and better, basically do the same rules apply to a bigger wormery? i just thought i would ask in case there was anything i should be aware of!

I used to have to keep a wormary at my old work (didn't really want to admit that on the net but hey)We used a black plastic full size bin and used the same rules pretty much and that used to produce loads... Prepare to dig though!