Barnburgh Top Lake

ManicMicky

Hey guys just really got started into fishing in Feb time i've been invited to a match on Barnburgh lakes, top lake next month with some mates and fancy giving it a go as abit of fun but alas the competitive side of me really needs some info on this lake as ive never fished it! Just wondering if anyone had any advice on tactics, baits etc..

Cheers

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The pegs on there are ridiculously close. Your top kits nearly touch the guy on the next peg top kits. Very little you can do down the margin unless you agree with an angler on one side that your going to fish either to your left or right. I’d fish top two plus two shallow and one at 14m on the mud line. You ain’t got that many options to be fair. I hope you like the guys aftershave on the next peg as you’ll be smelling it all match. 😩😩

ManicMicky

Wouldnt know where to start with a mudline haha, Wonder why its so close? Other lakes there are 23 pegs thats 32? makes no sense to me would be better suited as 24ish pegs....ah well, thanks for the info mick as always so helpful :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Wouldnt know where to start with a mudline haha, Wonder why its so close? Other lakes there are 23 pegs thats 32? makes no sense to me would be better suited as 24ish pegs....ah well, thanks for the info mick as always so helpful :)
At 14 you’ve got around 18” give or take an inch or two. Ping some 6mm fishery pellets over. They’ll come. Try to get your rig as far over to the island as you can this will cut down on the amount of liners you get. And you will get some. If those little pasties give you grief move to an 8mm or even a donkey choker and then just sit and wait. You can use a bomb or method but, the fish on there spook very very easily. Personally I’d cup a pot full onto the mudline as soon as the match starts then I’d start pinging 6mm pellets onto the 2 + 2 line. Only 4 of 5 but ever 30 seconds or so. You’re bound to get a few early fish. Now sometimes you can hold them all day other times you may have to pop another section on. Don’t feed to that though. Keep your feed going in on the top two + two line They’ll come back. If it slows after 50 minutes or so have a look over on your mudline. Mudlines aren’t like margins. They’ll be fish in and out pretty much all day. Go across when you feel the inside drying up. But, don’t forget to feed that 2 + 2 line. Keep feeding it at all times or your next door neighbour is going to have your fish away in no time. 👍

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's all F1 fishing. 4mm hard pellet, caster or maggot. They haven't had any opens on the Top Lake since we came out of Lock Down, the first one will be next Tuesday. You can only feed fishery pellets and you can park behind your pegs. No walking around, if the fishery management see you walking around you will be asked to leave the fishery.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It's all F1 fishing. 4mm hard pellet, caster or maggot. They haven't had any opens on the Top Lake since we came out of Lock Down, the first one will be next Tuesday. You can only feed fishery pellets and you can park behind your pegs. No walking around, if the fishery management see you walking around you will be asked to leave the fishery.
Which ain’t a bad thing. 😂😂.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
First Open was on there today. Fished really hard.

Barnburgh Lakes
Friday Open,
Top Lake,
31/7/20

1. Gary Jubb, peg 18, 89.13
2. Les Peace, peg 15, 76.09
3. Paul Nash, peg 21, 73.04
4. Jonny Broadbent, peg 25, 64.00
5. Paul Turner, peg 29, 59.06
6. Graham Sykes, peg 20, 26.00

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
First Open was on there today. Fished really hard.

Barnburgh Lakes
Friday Open,
Top Lake,
31/7/20

1. Gary Jubb, peg 18, 89.13
2. Les Peace, peg 15, 76.09
3. Paul Nash, peg 21, 73.04
4. Jonny Broadbent, peg 25, 64.00
5. Paul Turner, peg 29, 59.06
6. Graham Sykes, peg 20, 26.00
Not seen Gary in years. Does he bailiff that place Peter ?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yes Mick, pretty much responsible for running the fishery side and still takes some beating. ;)