Barn owl caught in discarded fishing line

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not the story we want to see on the BBC, or anywhere to be honest

A "distressed" barn owl had to be rescued after its wing was caught in a discarded fishing line.
The RSPCA said the animal could have died and has appealed for anglers to dispose of their litter properly to protect wildlife.
The charity was called on Thursday after the bird was spotted dangling from a tree by its wing over the River Derwent at Allestree Park, Derby.
An animal rescuer and firefighters worked together to cut him free.

rudd

Site Supporter
No not the sort of thing anyone wants to see and it gives non anglers a finger to point with.

A finger that pressed the flush button on their toilet

Or which is used to make up to faces

and wears gloves or helps pin facemasks behind ears

Trouble is the majority will not see their bad but point the finger at a minority. 😐

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I swam across the Swale at Cundall lodge to save a goose a few years ago Dave. Had to crawl out of a cow drink on the other bank. It stank. I got to the goose scruffy and nettled to death then when I reached the goose it beat me up. It was tethered to some strong line. I had to hold the goose with one arm and bite the line with my teeth. Thank goodness there was no one around to see it. I’d have been reported for animal cruelty. A man holding a goose in just his under pants. 🙄🤣🤣

rudd

Site Supporter
I swam across the Swale at Cundall lodge to save a goose a few years ago Dave. Had to crawl out of a cow drink on the other bank. It stank. I got to the goose scruffy and nettled to death then when I reached the goose it beat me up. It was tethered to some strong line. I had to hold the goose with one arm and bite the line with my teeth. Thank goodness there was no one around to see it. I’d have been reported for animal cruelty. A man holding a goose in just his under pants. 🙄🤣🤣
Have I seen you in Mother goose at the Ipswich regent? 😳

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not the story we want to see on the BBC, or anywhere to be honest

A "distressed" barn owl had to be rescued after its wing was caught in a discarded fishing line.
The RSPCA said the animal could have died and has appealed for anglers to dispose of their litter properly to protect wildlife.
The charity was called on Thursday after the bird was spotted dangling from a tree by its wing over the River Derwent at Allestree Park, Derby.
An animal rescuer and firefighters worked together to cut him free.

These type of fisher people make my blood boil. They're not anglers, they're just A'holes with rods.

rudd

Site Supporter
These type of fisher people make my blood boil. They're not anglers, they're just A'holes with rods.
An anglers an angler in joe publics eyes UK doesnt matter who how or when.
I own a pot full of leads, pole floats, wagglers, leadcore, controller floats and a few lures taken out of the trees surrounding the venue I baliff - doubt any were cast there on purpose.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mick, leaving line laying around is a pet hate of mine and the members on our club waters know it.
Me too Peter mate. That and rubbish. Rubbish is my pet hate. We’ve no excuses when you see ground bait and worms bags left on the bank. And those pink cable ties that Willy Worms use to seal their worm bags I see all over our canals. 😡😡

ukzero1

Site Supporter
An anglers an angler in joe publics eyes UK doesnt matter who how or when.
I own a pot full of leads, pole floats, wagglers, leadcore, controller floats and a few lures taken out of the trees surrounding the venue I baliff - doubt any were cast there on purpose.
Have to agree mate. I have a few bits and bobs that I've dragged out of reed beds etc.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Me too Peter mate. That and rubbish. Rubbish is my pet hate. We’ve no excuses when you see ground bait and worms bags left on the bank. And those pink cable ties that Willy Worms use to seal their worm bags I see all over our canals. 😡😡
No excuse is there ?

Attachments

• 8620996B-EC82-4160-94ED-D0A78962897E.jpeg
    8620996B-EC82-4160-94ED-D0A78962897E.jpeg
    715.6 KB · Views: 27

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Yep, litter too. There's no excuse for it, especially when there's bins about to put it in. Or just take an empty carrier bag and put the line/litter in that and take it home and bin it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yep, litter too. There's no excuse for it, especially when there's bins about to put it in. Or just take an empty carrier bag and put the line/litter in that and take it home and bin it.
A lot more rubbish seems to be left on natural venues than commercials I’ve found. ‘ Out of sight out of mind ‘ springs to mind Peter. 😡😡

rudd

Site Supporter
They’re not anglers are they Peter ? 😡

There have been mant times on our beaches when I have felt ashamed to call myself an angler:
Line, newspaper, smouldering fires, beer cans, discarded chairs and fish carcasses left behind.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
The criticism from non anglers at anglers remains the same though unfortunately, there are plenty of anglers that couldn't give a toss, I've chased various swans and ducks with line wrapped round their legs and mouths while others looked on laughing.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I'd disagree, every bird I've seen tangled in line has been on commercials.
General rubbish like cans, bags, crisp wrappers etc then yes.
I was thinking more rubbish than line when I wrote that post in all honesty. Commercial fisheries always seem clean to me.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The criticism from non anglers at anglers remains the same though unfortunately, there are plenty of anglers that couldn't give a toss, I've chased various swans and ducks with line wrapped round their legs and mouths while others looked on laughing.
Tell you what seems to be the new craze on our canals ( besides dog poo hung in trees ) is boaters leaving all kinds of rubbish on the bank before they sail off. Empty shampoo, bleach and washing up liquid bottles. Just left at the side of the canal and then they just bugger off. 😡😡😡

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’d forgot about this little fella. I rescued this gull at Torksey arm of the tidal Trent near Gainsborough. It was hooked in the beak with some discarded line. 🙄. And it bit me. 🤣🤣

Attachments

• C120E29B-6EAD-47A5-B96C-0A6BEAAE2EE1.png
    C120E29B-6EAD-47A5-B96C-0A6BEAAE2EE1.png
    933.7 KB · Views: 16
  • E68127D7-9174-4971-BA3A-F85BF1CB7F1F.png
    E68127D7-9174-4971-BA3A-F85BF1CB7F1F.png
    825 KB · Views: 16