Bargain Hunt does BobCo

Alantherose

Site Supporter
It's my day off today, but I couldn't be bothered fishing (was out over the weekend with the youngster). "I know!" I thought at 11:30, "I'll pop down to BobCo for a browse!" [ed. this could be fatal of course!] So off I went on the half-hour drive, ostensively to have a nosey, but with an ulterior motive to pick up some bait for a week of fishing... and an even sneakier ulterior motive to come home with some kind of bargain ;)

Ten minutes in and with plenty of 8mm pellets in the basket, I found a used Maver Powerlite 11ft match rod for the princely sum of twenty-five notes. No rod bag, but a quick rummage in the bargain bucket found an 11' Sensas one for a quid. Job done. So now here I am at home and wondering if I can sneak out this evening to test her out down at the local carp puddle.

Before I do though, what do you all think? Good rod for the money (I've been on the lookout for a pellet waggler rod)? Have I been conned? Do you/have you owned one and what was it like? I enjoy these little whimsies and the post-purchase google searches to find out what exactly I have just bought (£25 tends to be my limit on these kind of thing- wouldn't want to do it on a brand new rod!)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
A search of eBay sold items might suggest that you've not been had. I've generally found that Bobco price second hand stuff pretty reasonably, even if it's stuff I have no interest in.

As to whether the rod is any good, I've no idea, I've never knowingly held one let alone used one.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I remember the happy day when I laid hands on a Tricast 3piece 12 ft feeder rod (with a little cloth sleeve) for the same sum as you paid (that rod new then was over £100) . I still have it and have many fond memories of big bag bream and roach sessions - Can see nowt wrong with that buy - tight lines

The Landlord

Site Supporter
It's my day off today, but I couldn't be bothered fishing (was out over the weekend with the youngster). "I know!" I thought at 11:30, "I'll pop down to BobCo for a browse!" [ed. this could be fatal of course!] So off I went on the half-hour drive, ostensively to have a nosey, but with an ulterior motive to pick up some bait for a week of fishing... and an even sneakier ulterior motive to come home with some kind of bargain ;)

Ten minutes in and with plenty of 8mm pellets in the basket, I found a used Maver Powerlite 11ft match rod for the princely sum of twenty-five notes. No rod bag, but a quick rummage in the bargain bucket found an 11' Sensas one for a quid. Job done. So now here I am at home and wondering if I can sneak out this evening to test her out down at the local carp puddle.

Before I do though, what do you all think? Good rod for the money (I've been on the lookout for a pellet waggler rod)? Have I been conned? Do you/have you owned one and what was it like? I enjoy these little whimsies and the post-purchase google searches to find out what exactly I have just bought (£25 tends to be my limit on these kind of thing- wouldn't want to do it on a brand new rod!)
You complete & utter b****rd!
You've now made me want to go for a browse round our nearest tackle emporium. That's it now....there's no going back. I'll have to go tomorrow :(

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I never knew BobCo did second hand. Castaway in Lincoln used to do it before they were taken over and I really miss the browsing sessions.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
They have a secondhand corner where they sell on behalf of, or where they might have taken something in part exchange

satinet

Site Supporter
I think the powerlite match rrp was something like £90. it was below the reactorlite in the range I think.

I actually picked up a 12' one for £15 with the wrapper still on the handle some time ago. Seems like a nice rod to me.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Soooo... it’s a lovely rod, light and well balanced, casts wonderfully and handled these beauties very nicely. The bigger one gave a decent account of itself but once the rod powered up it just had nowt else to say 😃 1D7A875B-D201-4733-B99F-2FBC1635207D.jpeg 00BAFAAF-0297-4227-8A92-6BECD932FC8E.jpeg

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve had Reactorlite rods and have really liked them. I think the Powerlite was a really good buy for £25. I’m really glad you like it.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Powerlites, well the 11 foot feeder tip version of them, are very good rods

Ive owned a pair of them for quite a while, they are ideal for commie carp on the feeder,

I wouldnt say mine have been used a massive amount due to its not my normal approach to fishing, fish or venue wise but when I have used them they have handled everything that has been asked of them, and they feel good in the hand

Alantherose

Site Supporter
You complete & utter b****rd!
You've now made me want to go for a browse round our nearest tackle emporium. That's it now....there's no going back. I'll have to go tomorrow :(

So did you go? And more to the point, what did you come home with?!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
So did you go? And more to the point, what did you come home with?!
I couldn't in the end. Some knobhead broke the flush button in the gents on Monday night so I ended up having to go to Screwfix instead & then dismantling the wall panels to fit a new one :rolleyes:
Managed to get out fishing this morning for a couple of hours though.