Barbless Hooks - Another Debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warlock

My local fishing club is considering introducing 'Barbless Hooks Only' rule [:0][:(!] , after 100 years of the fishing club being in existence!
This has raised the issue of the Pros and Cons of Barbless vs Barbed.
This is due to be voted on at our AGM on 19th Dec!!!
[?]My questions are[?]
Do any of you have any info on the Cons of Barbed Hooks and the Pros of Barbless?
Please feel free to add your opinions or direct to sites where this info can be found.
Any of you members of clubs where this rule is in operation (not commercial fisheries) and how is it policed/administered?
Cheers
Warlock

Terrier

I'll have a beer!
Hi Warlock, and welcome to the mad, mad world of MD's
My personal opinion re barbed/barbless hooks.
I use barbless for 90% of my fishing. I consider them to be kinder to the fish as it's much easier to remove a barbless than barbed hook.
I have no problems landing fish with barbless hooks,as long as you keep a tight line.
In fact I would say they are easier to hook as there is no barb to penetrate the fishes lip.

I would say the majority of fisheries now insist on barbless hooks. Think it's not a bad rule as it protects the fish.

I occasionally used barbed for piking(trebles). But saying that I have crushed the barbs on a few of my treble hooks and still caught pike.

Hope it helps mate.

Terrier

You can't beat dipping your waggler!

dave k

have a look at this link for some common sense reasoning against a ban on barbless hooks.

http://anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005712.html

Dave Kennedy
http://usscangling.cjb.net

jonesr

Down here in the South-East a majority of waters have barbless only rule.My own club waters are also barbless.I have fished them for the last 5 years and it doesn't worry me now.I also fish comp's and they are also barbless.BUT I fished for 50 years with barbs and unless a fish was deep hooked I dont think it made a lot of difference.
Now I dont possess a barbed hook at all and I dont think it has made any difference to my catches.

Ron J

Age isn't everything!
EXPERIENCE IS!

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Warlock and welcome on board [:)]

Wow what a first question [:)]

My personal preference is without doubt barbless as I find that there are fewer missed bites/bumps with them compared to barbed and unhooking is easier and quicker.
On the contrary, especially with smaller hooks (20+), I find that I can often loose a few fish so in certain circumstances will opt for a micro-barb if permitted.

The question of deep-penetration? I suppose it could cause harm in certain circumstances with certain species but equally so could the use of barbed so I suppose the best thing would be to leave it to the owner's discretion.

Dave

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i think barbless are by far the best and you dont lose fish because of the missing barb, the only minus point i can think of is that some baits do wriggle off barbless hooks, i do sometimes use micro barb but i never use full barb hooks now, i personnally dont think using barbless makes any difference to my catch rate!

scouse

'River Man'
hi warlock
If you want to get
round barblees hook rule you can use
pinched barb made by preston inovations
there is no barb to speak of,
I only use barbless hooks myself
try getting a barbed hook out of you finger
painful [:(]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Barbless definatlely i only use barbed if the hook is 10 and bigger and i am using worms because the barb helps hold the bait on the hook or when fishiing for trout maybe i would consider using a barb becasue they tend to jump about a bit.. Other than that always barbless far easier to unhook. less damage to the fish.

Tight lines [:D]

norm

my humble opinion

barb-less full stop.
especially for the beginners
i have seen too many damaged fish because of barbed hooks and i can not understand why they even still sell them

as for pike (my favourite species i would not even think of using barbed hooks)

barb-less hooks are so easy to remove (even when deep hooked)

so i think your club is introducing a good rule (for the fish's welfare)

Lid

The last article on this page explores the case against barbless hooks :

http://www.fishingwarehouse.co.uk/default1.asp?section=articles&categoryid=1

In case it's moved place, the article is called Braids and Barbless Hooks by Tony Miles.

However I have been using barbless hooks most of this year after a 15 year break from fishing and find them excellent, even with lobs!!

Last edited:

mike s

As far as commercial fisheries, which are in the main stocked with carp, I agree with the "barbless only" rule. Carp seem to suffer by the fact that they have relatively tough mouthparts which makes: initial hook penetration more difficult with a barbed hook(even microbarb); hook removal more likely to result in damage.
On less pressurised waters containing a mix of species, eg. roach, perch, bream & chub; I see no need for a ban on MODERN microbarb hooks. Barbless in these waters seem to lead to fish being "overpowered" to the net, rather than "played". I have seen this resulting in seriously torn mouths-especially on perch.

"Wot, no Fish!"

Status
Not open for further replies.