Barbel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDM

Danny
I go fishing quite regularly on the local river and have been told by some people that there are barbel in there how would i go about catching them. What baits would i use and what sort of swims would they be found in. Coz i do not have a clue.[?]

Plleeaassee Help
Thanks
DDM[8D]

fishing_mad

well they could be anywere but i think an open swim may produce try a lump of luncheon meat on a feeder or if boilies are ok on there use a john baker frost and flood coated in trout pellet paste and that'll do it if not trout pellet with pellet in a feeder or pva bag. i know it helps non but try the boilie thats the best bet.

Fishing Mad[:)]

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
nah nha nah
Sometimes the basic, traditional baits work best.
Luncheon meat, worms and even corn can have their day and outfish any modern bait. But big pellets can be very good, if the fish are accusomed to them.
A maggot feeder, filled with maggots, casters and hemp can produced barbel and chub. Also an underated method is to use a stick float, and run it down past liely looking spots such as overhanging trees.
Good luck
[}:)]The percher[}:)]

J.Tolley

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Theres no need for boilies. The barbel in a staffs river wouldnt know what they were. As to open swims no way in fact the opposite. Find over hanging trees or fallen trees any where theres a snag and fish close to it. As percher said worms, meat or maggots first. I would also try prebaiting with hemp and leave it for a few hours then fish over it as its going dark.

chill out go fishing

joe1987

'Darwener'
yeah i'd agree with the last two. Barbel are definately evening feeders. Why not try flavouring some of your meat by putting hookbait sized chunks in a bag, a bit of paprika and some turmeric then shake the bag and leave for a couple of hours. Cheaper than the bought sensas stuff and then theres no need to cut it up on the bank and leave a tin lying around.

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Joe as I assume hes fishing a staffs river theres no need to flavour the meat. Use it straight from the tin.

chill out go fishing

joe1987

'Darwener'
Sorry mate just a suggestion. Often a slight change in flavour can really produce. Mind you, I dont have the local knowledge do I? **Joey-Mackeral**

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I didnt mean it as a critisism. Flavouring is a great idea and I do a lot of it, but only where fish are educated to the basic bait ie meat.

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
why waste bait??

Just get a big net, big gun & waste the whole river.

Considering there are actually 3 rivers in stafford borough i would love to know which one you are talking about?

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

TINY

Tiny
He`s talking about the Penk Al.If I`m not mistaken,it will be the stretch called the meadows by the G.E.C footbridge next to the canal at radford[:D]

Andy.

kingkarper

THERE ARE TWO METHODS I WOULD RECCOMEND THE MODERN AND THE TRADITIONAL APPROACH, THE MODERN APROACH IS HAIR RIGGING BOILIES USING A TWO OUNZE LEAD AND THE TRADITIONAL APPROACH IS HAIR RIGGING HUGE AMOUNTS OF MEAT ON A SIZE 4 HOOK AND A BRAIDED HOOKLENGTH

DDM

Danny
And how the hell would you know that andy god its like Big D drags me to the shop every week or something!!!

DDM

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ian
Boilies in the penk would never work because the fish wouldn't know what they were & they are only small barbus anyway.

The actually come up stream from the Sow/Trent confluence & then into the Penk from the Sow/Penk confluence at Tixall lane behind the cement works.

I would have to go with either a maggot feeder or a lump of unflavoured meat, if you can get further down stream towards the tixall lane area DDM you'd find the larger barbus down there mate, they hang around the actuall confluence of the Sow/Penk especially where the Sow flows over the weir but don't tell anyone i told you [;)]

Alan

it wasn't me, i didn't do it, nobody saw me, nobody can prove anything.

buzzer

Educate your fish onto your chosen bait, try something everybody else isn`t using a boilie, paste,etc. Bait up with your hook bait in with trout pellets using P.V.A mesh stocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.