barbel

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I had 3 Blanks Thats nearly 500 Miles Travelled, few hundred on Bait, Fuel, day tickets, Grub etc to Get a Barbel just short of 14 pound on the 4th time down, to me it was worth it (y)
What was the difference on the 4th time mate, weather, water level, bait.......

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
What was the difference on the 4th time mate, weather, water level, bait.......

I was Colder, the river was Running off after a Big Flood and you could present the Bait better without debris getting tangled on yer line. They are the main Differences mate.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I took this photograph for this chap yesterday whilst I was fishing the river Trent. It was this guys first ever Barbel. He was absolutely made up.

View attachment 35692

brilliant for him.
does everyone remember their first barbel?
mine was a captpure of a dozen, biggest about 10oz. on the float between the Weirs at Harrold on the Gt Ouse. It was just at the start of the barbel explosion the river in the early 80s.
chris dawn had done a coverpiece for the AT in the roadbridge pool a few weeks before.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
At least no-one has asked the question if Barbel should be allowed in stillwaters ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've been told about a fishery near me, Alvechurch Fishery, apparently on the Horseshoe lake of 100lb of Barbel in match weights.

Sure there's a few places like that but I haven't fished there yet. To me it's not quite the same as catching Barbel from rivers but makes for a nicer mixed bag at one place I fish when the odd Barbel turns up.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ah very kind total!

My first barbel was from a Stillwater as was my very modest PB. Not really sure how I feel about it really, not really proper but I don't know the ins and outs of the science behind it.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
At least no-one has asked the question if Barbel should be allowed in stillwaters ;)
there is still time for pegasus to ask that question :upthumb:

Last edited: