Barbel taps - Fact or Fiction

SteveinSwindon

Mate i Hair rig a Plaggy Caster in a short hair then 2 real ones on the 14 hook, one up the shank pushing the fake one out and the other nipped on the Point, ive had the rod hit me under the chin :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh yes, I have too, but have also had little dinks from what I thought were dace, only for the rod to arc over as an angry barbel tears off downstream !!!

mimississ

Site Supporter
Back to the 3 ft twitch,,,, I fish the aire fairly often,,, using heavy feeder tactics,,, a very long hooklength., sometimes 5 ft plus,,, and worm/bunch maggots and the takes from barbel could be said to be heartstopping at times,,, just about always hooked in the top lip area and never had one swallow the hook,,,, I never strike at the taps and small movements of the tip as there is that much rubbish coming down,,,,, as for feeling the meat trundelling through its very hard as the current can be very hard to master,,, that is the reason why I use heavy feeder/lead tactics

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not much better feeling then a 3 foot twitch, whether they happen regularly or come out of the blue as this one did.... a Blacktailed Barbel.

blacktailed barbel.jpg

I'd had 3 or so Barbel in the morning before the sun came up then bites tailed off and my dad came and fished the next peg in the afternoon. It was midday, and the reason I remember it was the power of the bite, really powerful 3 foot bang on my Barbel Rod that came completely out of the blue as hadn't had a bite for several hours. It turned out to be not the biggest fish at around 6 or 7lb, but when the bite came I called out to my dad "This is a BIG FISH!". :LOL: (y)

mimississ

Site Supporter
As for hair rigging,,, always used it on the trent,,, but never on the aire,,, mainly because on the trent hook bait was usually pellet whereas on the aire its mainly worm and maggots,,,