Barbel taps - Fact or Fiction

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When Barbel fishing I watch the tip, you notice all sorts of little knocks and movements in the flow especially on a quiver tip.

I remember John Wilson touch legering for Barbel, something I've not tried, and he said before you get a bite you feel a sandpaper sensation on the line, this is apparently the Barbel's whiskers on the line before they take the bait!

Had a few little rattles today and told myself that's a Barbel's Whiskers in hope. I doubt it was and more likely to be stuff hitting the line causing a slight rattle on the tip.

What do you reckon, Barbel whiskers or stuff hitting the line?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Most anglers only talk about the ‘ three foot twitch ‘ but, if you watch very carefully you’ll often see a couple of tiny tell tale signs that a Barbel is taking an interest in your bait. I’m sure Northsantslad, Barbelseeker and Wise Owl would agree. Only tiny taps but, you just know that they are there. 👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Do want to fish the Trent eventually but that sounds familiar haha. 😁

As I said in my write up from today, when my dad is fishing he will strike at any little movement even when it's just the flow but even some of the Chub bites are usually pretty savage, I have had some Barbel, including todays that give much smaller indications... doing a little Roach impression probably.

Seem to get more liners when Barbel are about and not just Chub too.

BoldBear

I have been touch legering for Barbel since I caught my very first Barbel from the river Kennet back in 1975; and you can not only feel when a Barbel moves over your hooklength and bait but after a little practice if your doing it correctly you can feel other things through your finger too like being able to tell if you are fishing over clean gravel or silt, you can also feel the difference between a fish mouthing your bait and the streamer weed rubbing against your line.

Barbel do not always give you the 3ft twitch (although that is more usual) they can also pick up your bait quite delicately sometimes, and when you are touch legering you can feel when this is happening.

J.Wilson was telling the truth, you can often feel when a Barbel moves over your line or bait through the vibrations through your finger(s), it’s definately true. Just try it. It can tell you more things than when you are just sitting there watching a Quivertip.

Keith

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Would love to try touch legering for them but just have to wait until I'm in the right situation. They are wonderful fish in many ways, usually a good hook hold and don't dive for snags!

BoldBear

Another advantage that touch legering can give you is that you can be looking anywhere around you and still instantly feel the bite developing or screaming off; through your finger(s); so you don’t need to sit there staring at a Quivertip or a rod tip for hours.

Keith

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Most anglers only talk about the ‘ three foot twitch ‘ but, if you watch very carefully you’ll often see a couple of tiny tell tale signs that a Barbel is taking an interest in your bait. I’m sure Northsantslad, Barbelseeker and Wise Owl would agree. Only tiny taps but, you just know that they are there. 👍
To be Honest with ya in my early days of Barbel fishing, before Hair Rigs id loose a fair few fish Striking at Knocks, i was told by an old Fireman who fished the same stretch at Boston Spa if a Barbel wants yer Bait you will know about it. Since and now i only Fish for Barbel on Hair rigged Baits unless Maggots or Casters ive seen a massive improvement in the takes as Mick says 3Foot Twitches.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
To be Honest with ya in my early days of Barbel fishing, before Hair Rigs id loose a fair few fish Striking at Knocks, i was told by an old Fireman who fished the same stretch at Boston Spa if a Barbel wants yer Bait you will know about it. Since and now i only Fish for Barbel on Hair rigged Baits unless Maggots or Casters ive seen a massive improvement in the takes as Mick says 3Foot Twitches.
Only time I don’t hair rig now when fishing for Barbel is when I’m bouncing a piece of meat under a chubber. I used to do a lot of that up at Myton grange. That first peg you come to as you get to the river. Some lovely big Chub & Barbel in that swim.

PS .... I’ve just upset myself now. 😩🤣👍

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Just to add to the above i think the length of the Hooklenth is a lot to do with the Fish being Comfortable in taking the Bait, also i toy around with how long the Hair is and how many Pellets or Boilies etc is on it.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Only time I don’t hair rig now when fishing for Barbel is when I’m bouncing a piece of meat under a chubber. I used to do a lot of that up at Myton grange. That first peg you come to as you get to the river. Some lovely big Chub & Barbel in that swim.

PS .... I’ve just upset myself now. 😩🤣👍
I can only seak with the Farmer every year mate and hope he changes his mind 🤞🤞

Wise Owl

Account Locked
What does he drink ? What a shame. I loved that place. 😩😩
I honestly dont think it was an angler that stole his Boat or Outboard, but i have a Inkling it was Angers who damaged his little shanty Hut on the Sandbank. I speak to him at the end of the season just to see if he will let 10 or so on us on in a syndicate but he aint interested. :(

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I honestly dont think it was an angler that stole his Boat or Outboard, but i have a Inkling it was Angers who damaged his little shanty Hut on the Sandbank. I speak to him at the end of the season just to see if he will let 10 or so on us on in a syndicate but he aint interested. :(
Oh. I thought it was the money box that got stolen. There’s some shytes about isn’t there ? 😡😡

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Oh. I thought it was the money box that got stolen. There’s some shytes about isn’t there ? 😡😡
No mate someone took his Boat or Outboard from the Pig pens before ya went through the Sheep Gate. Then he has a little like Gypsy hut caravan thing on the sandbank, he'd gone down and had a nice evening and BBQ locked up and left the BBQ to Cool next evening someone had chucked it in the River. so enough was enough he shut it 2 years back.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I can only seak with the Farmer every year mate and hope he changes his mind 🤞🤞
10 anglers 200 quid a pop ? Each anglers name, address, car reg, telephone number etc. I’d gladly pay it. It takes me back to when I was a kid watching my dad and his mates fish does that stretch. It’s a beautiful place to be on a summers afternoon. Such a shame. 😩

Wise Owl

Account Locked
10 anglers 200 quid a pop ? Each anglers name, address, car reg, telephone number etc. I’d gladly pay it. It takes me back to when I was a kid watching my dad and his mates fish does that stretch. It’s a beautiful place to be on a summers afternoon. Such a shame. 😩
Ive put it in his head mate 10 anglers @ £150 each Photos and Car reg and Booking when ya coming. He seems to be ok with it but is just wanting a bit of a think. He told me it only made him tops a Grand a year with Day tickets and Matches so he might change his mind.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
No mate someone took his Boat or Outboard from the Pig pens before ya went through the Sheep Gate. Then he has a little like Gypsy hut caravan thing on the sandbank, he'd gone down and had a nice evening and BBQ locked up and left the BBQ to Cool next evening someone had chucked it in the River. so enough was enough he shut it 2 years back.
Weren’t there two of those gypsy caravans there at one point ? Those two pegs opposite those caravans were private if memory serves me ??? Maybe one day hey pal. Maybe one day. 🤔