Barbel rod or will carp rod do?

commieboy257

Account Locked
As it says in the title. I haven't fished a river in years but when I get the chance to go on the Trent will the carp rod do it's a JRC 2.25lb 12 footer?

I potentially have the funds for a sub £100 barbel rod and just wondered if, under normal conditions, it would be a better tool than the carp rod?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It all depends how often you are planning on using it.
I can't see the point in rushing out to buy a new rod specifically for Barbel if you might not use it again.
A 2.25lb Carp rod will do the job just as well on the Trent, the only difference being Barbel rods tend to have more rings and finer tips so the line follows the curve of the blank better which helps for a smoother drag I suppose. The tip will bend regardless if you get a 'twitch'

commieboy257

Account Locked
I'll save someone else's money then thanks mate. It would probably only come out 4 times a year so perhaps it would be an indulgence.

PureGenius

I'd also say you are fine with your carp rods. At the end of the day you need the backbone to be casting 4/5/6oz of lead or feeder into the river. I'm currently using a pair of Daiwa Black Widow G50's @ 2.75lb for Barbel fishing the Trent.

I think the only difference you would notice is when playing a fish, the carp rods are more mid to tip section action, where the "Barbel" rods are probably more through actioned, all way to the butt.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'd also say you are fine with your carp rods. At the end of the day you need the backbone to be casting 4/5/6oz of lead or feeder into the river. I'm currently using a pair of Daiwa Black Widow G50's @ 2.75lb for Barbel fishing the Trent.

I think the only difference you would notice is when playing a fish, the carp rods are more mid to tip section action, where the "Barbel" rods are probably more through actioned, all way to the butt.

So there you have it. If you feel some butt action, blame that dodgy curry. :LOL:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
As above, if a through action then ok and if needing to get across. However i haven't used my 2.2 tops for a couple of years now, with 1.75 tops on dedicated Barbel rods doing fine and in the sort of extreme water we have had on occasion in that time-most of my favourite haunts the Barbel are on the inside, more so in high water.

If you get into it, never known anyone to get one and not get the bug tbh, then look at dedicated rods. Which for me are Korum, then you have some change left over (if you buy one) to get what is essential on most Barbel rivers......plenty of leads, feeders and hooklength material.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Has anyone, ever, lost a decent barbel whilst using a carp rod and thought:
"If only I'd had a proper, dedicated barbel rod, I would have caught that fish?"
:whistle:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
No,but I have struggled at times (last time a month ago) and wished I had brought the Carp rods.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Far from my area of expertise but for 4 trips a year surely it would be worth a cheap barbel rod seeing as there seems to be some perfectly decent ones around for well under £100? If your 4 trips all fell in the winter river conditions I’m sure you’d be fine with your carp rod but if they fell in the summer conditions surely you’d be wanting a lighter rod?

I only barbel fish once or twice a year and make do with a 1.25tc Avon as it tends to be in summer conditions but if I went more often I’d definitely get a barbel rod as would be a matter of time before I’d face conditions where I’d be seriously undergunned with the Avon.

Arch

Site Supporter
Treat yourself, life's for living.

Even if you went down the second hand route, £100 will buy you a very good Barbel rod.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I believe in the right tool for the job.

Something that will at least lob a 5oz loaded feeder and bend through playing a fish.

If cost is a concern a cheap pike deadbait rod does all of the above :D

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
We are still waiting for you to put that theory to the test ???
How is the double figure Barbel mission going?

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Over for now until atleast February, getting some Pike fishing in ?