Barbel methods.......sensible or sheer madness!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Hi All --- Just a few words about the recent trend in barbel baits...like pellets...bollies < God forbid !!!!>..whats happened to good ol meat an lobs nowadays !!!!

Also is it sane to use a 15lb hooklink with a 10lb mainline ???? l was always told to use a smaller hooklink than the mainline !!!
Surely with a higher breaking strain hooklink good ole Whiskers wouldnt stand a chance...Surely its the anglers expertise with the backwind on the reel fighting the fish that counts !! not to bully the fish into submission using strong arm tactics...
I would prefer to lose a fish by playing it and having the hook pull out.....than bully these wonderful creatures....

THATS FISHING TO ME !!!! bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif

Cheers all...

MOOKIE....[:D][:D][:D][:D]

reveal13

couldent agree more with you mate, well said, boilies hah pellets hah, can catch barbel on worm meat corn and bread what more do you need as these baits are either free or very cheap unlike the boilies and the pellets

peter

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
One of the main reasons for using strong line is to do with the welfare of the fish.
By using a strong line the fish is brought to the net BEFORE it has a chance to exhaust itself. Consequently it takes less time for the fish to recover. I never go below 8lb BS hook links.
Another reason is one of safety. A large feeder weighing several ounces needs to be used with a strong line or else with a shock leader.

How anyone can guarantee a lost fish will be due to a hook pulling free escapes me. Using back wind instead of the clutch only lengthens the fight as next to no pressure is applied. Using a clutch backed up by extra pressure applied by a finger to the spool allows far more pressure to be applied so shortening the fight.
Bait!! whats wrong with boilies and pellets, there an accepted bait for other fish. If by using them it gives me an edge over other anglers then so be it.
On one stretch of the Severn I fish very few if any barbel come out to meat during daylight. After dark its another matter.
Using new and unusuall bait is called progress as is the change from greenheart and cane rods to carbon fibre etc.

chill out go fishing

angler-mark

I agree with you John, I don't limit the use of any baits, to do so also reduces your chances of catching. The more options you give yourself the better your chances are catching.

Tight Lines

Mark

scouse

'River Man'
hi john
what river are you fishing
useing several ounces on a feeder
or bomb[:0]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

norm

esox
the question was using a stronger hook lenth than main line
so surly if the main line snapped first(which it will) then the poor fish will have more line to swim around with in its gob

thats what mookie meant i think
if not sorry lads i will keep out of it next time

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I agree part way with you norm. It depends on the type of hook length used and its length. Braided hook lengths due to having no stretch or shock loading capabilities may have to be stepped up in strength. Norm as a pike angler you must have seen 'use 15lb line and 20lb/28lb wire traces this to me is the same thing. All I can think is that due to knots or whatever (crimps)is used to secure hooks to the trace reduces the breaking strain so by using a stronger hook length a balance is maintained.

Scouse I didnt mean that a couple of ounces were strapped to the feeder but that the feeder weighs a couple of ounces, what I forgot to add was when loaded with bait.

chill out go fishing

angler-mark

Hi Scouse, I fish the Trent and often use 3ozs leads on my feeders, If you don't, you can't hold bottom, it's even worse when the river is up 3 or 4 feet in winter, then you have to step it up to 4ozs to cope with the flow. If we have another Trent Fish-in and you come, you will see what I mean [:)][:)][:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

martin.

Account Locked
hi norm
quote: if not sorry lads i will keep out of it next time
for you impossible.

hi all
back to origional question
im not a running water angler normaly but on the few occasions that ive fished them ive used heavy gear mainly because there are normally a lot of snags & you have to have some chance of keeping them out of it

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Last edited:

Del-J

' Victor '
Mookie, I am one of those that use 10lb. mainline and 15 lb braid hooklink. John is 100% right when he says strong tackle gets the fish in a lot quicker than lighter gear and the fish will be less knackered. Therefore it will recover a lot quicker. Barbel as you know yourself give their all in the fight. Also IMHO there is far less chance of the heavier gear snapping and the fish being left to tow it around. This is also the main reason I always use a running ledger/feeder link.
Nowadays more and more anglers balance their tackle via diameter than by breaking strain. The 10lb. line I use is definitly of a larger dia. than the 15lb braid hooklink.

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

Tony

Its all about balance. Using a balanced rig/set up will ensure more fish on the bank but also will give the safety factor that is what concerns most.
If you were to use a light line then you would have to play the fish running a greater risk of snapping off. A heavier line doesnt mean that you will be able to drag the barbel from the water against its will, the fish will still resist and the angler would have to make allowances for that when playing it in.
Many a carp has become the subject of a torn mouth partly due to inconsiderate approaches from an angler who because he has strong line feels that he can then just pump the fish in.
With barbel they will fight and resist and the angler needs to respect that and bring the fish to net when it is ready to come and not before thereby risking damage.

Stronger hooklengths are often used with braid to mono because they are less resistant to abrasion and can even though be rated stronger, often be weaker when abrasion, knots and the lack of stretch are taken into account.

As for boilies, each to their own I would say. Personally I am starting to believe that if enough of them are used on a fishery then the fish will accept them as part of the food chain. They do have certain atractive qualities over natural baits that can sometimes give that much needed edge, especially now a days.

Phew,

Tight lines

Tony

john

MUST AGREE WITH ANGLER MARK.4ozIN PLACES.MY STINKY CHEESE PASTE WORKS WELL MOULDED ROUND A BOILLIE ON HAIR RIG.

JOHN.THE BIG TINCA

les middy

'Navigator'
Mark

did you not miss quote ????

(if we have another trent fish-in )

should have read:-

when we have another trent fish-in surely

les

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Hi All -- Thanks Norm yes thats what l meant what happens if the mainline snaps before the hooklink.....thats all l meant...soz if l rattled a few brains with this posting......

Just thought l would never see the day when bollies would find themselves into rivers....

Cheers all

MOOKIE

angler-mark

quote:Originally posted by les middy

Mark

did you not miss quote ????

les

Les, No doubt about it mate! We ARE having another one so I will keep you posted when I have sorted a date out

Tight Lines

Mark

G

I still cannot grasp the idea of having a stronger hook length than your main line ????

It goes against all the text book rules, i was always told to use a lower B/S hooklength,

I once cought a 9lb carp on the pole, no4 laccy, match kit, 4lb main line 2lb hooklength size 18 barbless hook, no bullying tactics as you can imagine, but the trill of landing the fish on light tackle was tremendous,

Never used boilies,each to his own as pointed oout by john, but i agree with mookie on this, is this a pureist point of view ?????

catch me if u can
Andy,

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Heres where I rattle a few cages again. Who invented the boilie and when??? Answer Izzack Walton back in the 1600's.
What is a boilie? Answer a paste bait boiled to put a skin on it. Its done to stop small fish whittling away the bait and so targets the bigger fish.
If one objects to progrees in the type of baits used then do they also object to progress in other areas and use cane rods, centre pins silk lines and cat gut?

I use what ever tackle, method and bait that I feel will give me the best chance of catching.

Boilies are used very sucessfully for carp, tench and bream so why not barbel and chub?

I to have problems accepting a stronger hook length than the main line, But as I said the properties of braid and wire for traces is vastly different to the properties of nylon. It is this difference that may mean using a stronger hook length.
Contrary to popular belief braid has far less resistance to abrasion than nylon so by using a braided hook length improves presentation it may need to be upped in strength to combat rocks or other obstructions.
Lets not forget that the weakest point in any set up is the knot/s so in theory at least any breakage should be at these points. When was the last time you caught a fish trailing line? hooks still in the mouth yes. I cant remember catching any other than pike that had the remains of hooks and trace still attached.

chill out go fishing

G

John i would never knock an angler for his tactics, unless it was illegal.

It is up to the angler which tactics he uses,there is no written rule that you have to use this bait or that bait, but at certain waters we all know that rules apply.

If an angler find a winning comination, stick to it, maybe if i went for specimen fish i would have a different point of view.

catch me if u can
Andy,

norm

toma you do not catch fish never mind specimen fish (LOL)

Del-J

' Victor '
quote:Originally posted by norm

toma you do not catch fish never mind specimen fish (LOL)

Thats because you always cast into his swim norm [:D][:D]
Keep up the good work mate. [;)][;)][;)]

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.