Barbel line

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Looks like its all been said Zerkalo and correctly summised in the case of whom, first thing i thought when i read the OP.
Looks like things been working for you at Arley which isn't much different i don't think, so stick with what you have been doing would be my answer. If you do choose to have a switch, then i too am a fan of flouro, in 10lb-Trent & Severn, the guru one is good and i have yet to see in a couple of years of using it, any of the things you might read about brittleness etc.

I never back wind either, may be adjust the clutch during if needed, horses for courses, sometimes and in some cases, it is anothers prerogative in their role to 'put you right'. Sometimes its helpful, sometimes it is just a reminder to you of who knows best and to ensure the verbal transaction is lead from a direction of their choosing.....let them think it, then everyone is happy and they move onto the next candidate.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers @Northantslad. Hamtpon Loade is going to be the destination I drag my dad along to tomorrow afternoon and evening hopefully in search of his first river Barbel.

Although the river will likely be low and clear, it can't be as bad as it will be later in the week if it's dry all week and it's forecast overcast. We will still be on Korum 8lb Barbel Line hooklengths as I won't have changed to 10lb by then though I will experiment with lengths as last time I fished it when it was low and clear resulted in my PB of 8lb 4oz by switching to a longer hooklength. Maybe a coincidence but it seemed to fool a decent fish.

bettsfan

Your enthusiasm is infectious Zerkalo and hopefully you can get your Dad his first Barbel. For info I use 8lb for all my Barbel fishing and only upping it to snaggy swims and when the river is flying through. Not fished HL but have done Apley and a few other stretches of the Severn but have since moved onto the Wye. Sadly cant find enough time to go as often as I would like as there is a lot of mileage to get there. With a suitable rod I don't see much of an issue with the line strength you are using.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Your enthusiasm is infectious Zerkalo and hopefully you can get your Dad his first Barbel. For info I use 8lb for all my Barbel fishing and only upping it to snaggy swims and when the river is flying through. Not fished HL but have done Apley and a few other stretches of the Severn but have since moved onto the Wye. Sadly cant find enough time to go as often as I would like as there is a lot of mileage to get there. With a suitable rod I don't see much of an issue with the line strength you are using.

Cheers mate, here's hoping. I want to get my dad hooked on it too as we've had a couple of blank sessions at Knowle Sands at start of the season that might have dampened his confidence a bit. I reckon he can get one from HL and it should only take one fish to inspire him. I've not fished Apley myself, just a handful of BAA waters and HL at the moment but would like to try the Wye. I've only fished the Wye once before and that was with John Bailey somewhere as a kid in Wales. :LOL: (y)

Like I say, if you do decide to fish BAA Severn or HL and fancy some company just give me a shout as I'm likely to be about, same goes for anyone on MD. :)(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Trying to book a few days on probably the severn in October mate so if it’s one of your stretches I’ll definitely be troubling you for info haha

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
For me I don’t think I’ve had a fight that has lasted more than 5 minutes but even the small barbel don’t exactly just give up at the net. And about 10 minutes is the longest I’ve had to rest a fish.
Wait until you foul hook one of around 9lb in the tail. That was fun ..... Not. I was knackered. Must have been a one in a million chance that. Happened to me about three years ago. Not done it since .... thank goodness. ???

Total

Site Supporter
Wait until you foul hook one of around 9lb in the tail. That was fun ..... Not. I was knackered. Must have been a one in a million chance that. Happened to me about three years ago. Not done it since .... thank goodness. ???

Must have been on a boat load!..... :love: :ROFLMAO:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Just curious as to the strength of flow of a river would dictate how heavy a line people will use. Does anyone change their mainline if fishing flooded rivers like the Trent for example. I have pondered this and can't decide if a heavier line would be better as more resistance to damage from river born small branches etc or stay on a standard line.

There is also the extra factor of hooking a barbel and it turning sideways in the current downstream to contend with, so not only the fight in the fish, but the extra 'weight' caused by the current.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Just curious as to the strength of flow of a river would dictate how heavy a line people will use. Does anyone change their mainline if fishing flooded rivers like the Trent for example. I have pondered this and can't decide if a heavier line would be better as more resistance to damage from river born small branches etc or stay on a standard line.

There is also the extra factor of hooking a barbel and it turning sideways in the current downstream to contend with, so not only the fight in the fish, but the extra 'weight' caused by the current.
Wait until you get a double on in a flooded Trent. Northantslad, Barbel Seeker and Yuccaman will all tell you Kev .... you need some strong gear and some strong arms. In flood I shouldn’t worry too much about your main line just try and avoid the cows, sheep and farmers that float past. ???

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Wait until you get a double on in a flooded Trent. Northantslad, Barbel Seeker and Yuccaman will all tell you Kev .... you need some strong gear and some strong arms. In flood I shouldn’t worry too much about your main line just try and avoid the cows, sheep and farmers that float past. ???

You'll be telling me next Mick that the farmer was sat on his tractor at the time.......:whistle::whistle:

Barbel seeker

???had to laugh at that mick but it's all spot on, I hooked a big fish the other week when there was a bit of water on and never saw it, it ripped at least sixty yards of me and still going I just couldn't stop it and ended up pointing the rod at it as I'm certain it would have broken the rod and it snapped me clean, I was thinking cat rather than barbel

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
???had to laugh at that mick but it's all spot on, I hooked a big fish the other week when there was a bit of water on and never saw it, it ripped at least sixty yards of me and still going I just couldn't stop it and ended up pointing the rod at it as I'm certain it would have broken the rod and it snapped me clean, I was thinking cat rather than barbel
Only halfway through your post did I think exactly that ..... Cat. Apparently there are lots in the Trent now. My dad got one of around 20 - 25lb to the net but, he couldnt lift it up enough for me to net and eventually he pulled out of it. ??

Total

Site Supporter
Only halfway through your post did I think exactly that ..... Cat. Apparently there are lots in the Trent now. My dad got one of around 20 - 25lb to the net but, he couldnt lift it up enough for me to net and eventually he pulled out of it. ??

The turn of speed by even relatively small cats is really surprising.:oops:....The speed of river carp I've accidentally hooked and landed while barbel fishing at places like Sonning and Staines on the Thames is truly frightening!:eek::ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The turn of speed by even relatively small cats is really surprising.:oops:....The speed of river carp I've accidentally hooked and landed while barbel fishing at places like Sonning and Staines on the Thames is truly frightening!:eek::ROFLMAO:
That’s the closest I’ve ever been to one Mark. I saw it in the clear water but, my dad couldn’t put enough pressure on it to lift it enough for me to get his landing net under it. Saying that, I’m not sure his net would have been big enough. I say 20 to 25 but, it could have been bigger. It was certainly a big fish. Funny thing is, two weeks prior fishing the same peg he got on something he couldn’t stop. It took him nearly six pegs down the Trent before my Dad locked his bait runner up and his hook straightened out. Whatever it was it wasn’t a Barbel.

JayD

Thanks for the reply @JayD it’s nice to read your experience. That’s what I aimed for with this thread, just provoking some experienced replies.

I’ll admit I already had in mind changing to 10lb hooklengths before making this thread, even before the bailiff told me, not because I don’t listen but for some extra security getting the fish out and just wanted to see what other people thought and did.

Id imagine those who advocate lighter hooklengths also use lighter rods than 1.75lb test curve!? Did not take much splashing under the rod tip to do me on 8lb ??

If you already had it in mind to change, then do it, it's the best way to discover what suits you.
As far as rods go, I've never been a 'tackle tart', nor had the finances or the desire, to buy the 'latest' rod/reel etc. I used to have a couple of light float rods, one tip action, and the other a tip to middle action, and a heavier 'avon' through action rod, all 12 or 13ft. The first two were usually matched with 2 to 3lb main line, and 1 to 2lb hook length. The avon 4 to 6lb line, depending on whether I float fished or legered with it. Add a 9ft spinning rod, and a heavy dual purpose rod that covered legering in very snaggy swims, or even pike fishing, and that was it! I've added rods to my arsenal over the years, mainly as new materials came along, but I'm still not averse to using a 40 yr old fibre glass rod if I think it's more suitable, and I don't need to hold it for long periods. I've never been a fan of just using test curves as a guide, because without adding the action into the equation, it tells you very little about the rod.
I can't recall ever having a fish smash even a 6lb line, unless the line had a weak point, or the fish got into a snag, and I had to pull for a break. It takes some effort to break an 8lb mono line on a straight pull from a rod, unless it's a prestretched line, and I don't use them. If in doubt, try assembling your rod and line, tie your line to a set of scales that are anchored to the ground, then stand on a wall or step ladder above them, and lift, get someone to note the reading on the scales, I think you will be in for a surprise.:)
As I've said before, we fished for what we wanted to catch, not what might come along, but learned to cope if it did. Last week I had an experience with a 12lb+ pike that came along while legering with 6lb line, and 5lb hook length, from a pretty snaggy swim, and coped.

John.