Barbel line

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Wondering what barbel line and hooklengths people recommend?

I got told by the bailiff on a Severn stretch the other day that my 8lb Korum barbel line hooklength “wasn’t good enough” as he watched me cautiously play a fish so going to step it up a bit.

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
I use either Daiwa Sensor (10 Lbs), Shimano Aero Specimen or Gardner Pro (both 12lbs) - there are all 0.3 - 0.31 for all my Carp/Tench/Barbel needs.

The Sensor is seriously underrated; most lines around 0.30 will break @ 13-14 Lbs according to tests. The Gardner Pro is co-polymer line a mix of nylon and fluro and i find the Shimano to be very good in snaggy waters.

Last edited:

Robwooly

I got told by the bailiff on a Severn stretch the other day that my 8lb Korum barbel line hooklength “wasn’t good enough” as he watched me cautiously play a fish so going to step it up a bit.
This is a shame that you got told that, as there's no harm in taking your time, feels almost as if the skill of playing fish on light line is being lost. Not that 8lb line is light - far from it, it's fine stick with it, in answer to your original question Zerk I use 4,4llb float fish as I'm float fishing (on float you can get away with slightly lighter line as no lead) Been fishing the same venues for decades and the barbel are still swimming off strong and thriving, had mid doubles on it too. 8lb is plenty enough for The Severn in most cases, remember a good bailiff cares about the angler as well as the fish sounds like he was found wanting regarding the former and dare I say a touch ignorant the latter.

Recently saw a guy on youtube on my little local river where the barbel range from 1-7lb advocating you need 15lb line with a tension you can 'only just' pull of with your hand, jeez what happened to skill?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Can step up to 15/20lb braid hooklengths I spose but I wouldn't be confident in clear water unless it was dark.

When I went with you my hooklengths were a mix of 8lb Supplex fluorocarbon and 12lb N Guage, had 10lb Supplex too but felt too stiff to be fair so didn't use it. Might reconsider if I could get amongst doubles regularly but the 8lb Supplex seems super strong as it is.

For reel line I started with 15lb Tournament ST but I think its overgunned so spooled up my spares with 10lb Tournament ST and its much better, even the 10lb takes a lot of effort to pull for a break when snagged so should have no problem playing fish on it.

Last edited:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Mate I love your optimism but a double Barbel is a special fish and only the Trent is capable of regularly throwing them up.
I know Barbel anglers who have fished the Severn all their lives and never had one.

Barbel seeker

I would have no problem fishing an 8lb hook length on the Severn but to my mind the key is to know the stretch of river you are fishing and also the peg , where I fish on the Severn and the pegs I fish tend to be a bit snaggy so there is no point in letting a fish run up and down a river getting itself Completely knackered and ultimately ending up in a snag with the chance of having to pull for a break and leaving the poor fish with end tackle in its mouth so I prefer to use a 10lbs fleuro hook length to give myself a chance. I do prefer to bully the fish a little as I find it doesn't take as much out of them and leads to a quicker return. On the Trent it is a different kettle of fish ( pardon the pun ) as with the flow being on the other side of the river on our stretch and in places can be quite snaggy, at night I always change to a 10 lbs coated braid hook length called Gardner speciskin and tend to shorten it down to as little as 2 foot long if I think I can get away with it but more than often three foot or so, this braid is amazingly strong and quite a low diameter, also on the Trent my mainline steps up to 18lbs konger, a line recommended by ukzero a couple of years ago and which I quite like with it being just 0.26 diameter I think, this I feel is required for continuously putting heavy feeders 65 yards or so across to the flow. I do think the knowledge of where your fishing , what your fishing for, and also the peg your fishing all add to the equation

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
I have never known any member more that’s asks such Ridiculous questions And needs to be told what to do , for god sake go with your instinct and stop analysing everything .
enjoy your fishing and reel the rewards of what you Believe .

do you enjoy your Fishing ?

Last edited:

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
As you are finding out, there are lots of answers to this question. It isn't as straightforward as 'when barbel fishing, you should use x lb mainline and y lb hooklength'. Your rod, how much lead you're using, realistically, what size fish are you expecting, but also where are you fishing all hugely influence it. A lot of the Trent around here is rocky as hell. You need strong line purely for the abrasion resistance, and in certain areas, braid hooklink can be suicidal. I don't fish for barbel a huge amount, but the stretches I fish, doubles, and big doubles at that are very likely if your rod tip goes round, and consequently 12lb to 10lb fluoro is pretty standard tackle. A smaller river with smaller fish, then yes, lighter line.

Barbel seeker

To be honest irishhybrids I usually let comments like that go straight over my head and I can't make my mind up whether you are a wind up merchant or someone who is downright rude, if you have nothing to offer to the thread I just can't fathom out why you find the need to post such utter rubbish. This forum is somewhere we can all feel free to go to to seek advice if we are unsure of anything involving our sport including venues rigs etc and I and a lot of others would prefer if you can't offer anything constructive just don't reply. I hope Zerkalo doesn't take offence at your comment and realises that's what the forum is about .

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
To be honest irishhybrids I usually let comments like that go straight over my head and I can't make my mind up whether you are a wind up merchant or someone who is downright rude, if you have nothing to offer to the thread I just can't fathom out why you find the need to post such utter rubbish. This forum is somewhere we can all feel free to go to to seek advice if we are unsure of anything involving our sport including venues rigs etc and I and a lot of others would prefer if you can't offer anything constructive just don't reply. I hope Zerkalo doesn't take offence at your comment and realises that's what the forum is about .
It seems every forum has to have the obligatory d1ck head Barbel Seeker. We have ours.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I’ve used 10lb Daiwa Sensor for years as a main line & have never had an issue with it. For hook links, I tend to used 10lb Maxima or one of the ESP braids in 20lb. Use whatever you feel confident in using

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
I have never known any member more that’s asks such Ridiculous questions And needs to be told what to do , for god sake go with your instinct and stop analysing everything .
enjoy your fishing and reel the rewards of what you Believe .

do you enjoy your Fishing ?
he's asking for advice, after being given some information/advice of which he is now entirely sure off!

Given that this is a fishing forum with the subtitle that includes the words "information and advice" , i think he is perfectly entitled to post the question that he did, without your rude and belittling comment!

You Sir, are what is referred to as a "Merchant Banker" and i ask you keep your snide comments to yourself!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
On my Barbel rods I have Guru Pulse for the mainline in 10lb, same in 8lb for the hook lengths. Not had a problem with either.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
A lot of the Trent around here is rocky as hell. You need strong line purely for the abrasion resistance, and in certain areas, braid hooklink can be suicidal.

Does this apply to coated braids (hooklinks)? I'm not sure how much abbrasion resistance the coating gives but would hate to lose my first potential double if i ever hook one because of braid :cry:, if so i'll go permanently to Fluoro.