Barbel Hookbaits

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Confidence in your bait and Putting the bait in the right place in the river are (IMO) the most important factors.

My basic approach to a barbel peg in a match is really super simple (as I don't do it that often):
Kammy Black Cap blockend (no groundbait) - 3 different sizes and clip on leads as appropriate. Alternate to a lead if backing off from the feed.
Mix of 3mm (micro) dynamite halibut pellets and white maggots in the feeder.
Hair rigged 8mm or 4mm halibut pellet or bunch of maggots on the hook. I do have some 14mm pellets as well but have no confidence in them.
Change bait if there is any colour in the water is half a lobworm (I have a lot of confidence in these when it;s coloured).

I'm not targetting specimens but have picked up some double figure fish along the way.

This has worked for me on the middle Severn, Warks Avon, Wye, Middle trent.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I agree on the confidence thing. If you're waiting for fish you want to know that a Barbel or two will find your bait. Only read mixed reviews on the Sonubaits online.

With other baits I am yet to build up the confidence with them yet but going to try and get some lobworms for tomorrow as will be a bit of colour in the water!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Went to the tackle shop on my way to do a 'viewing' job tonight, one in Stourbridge closed at 5pm so just missed it. That's where I would have got my lobworms from (they don't grow in my garden as soil is too compact), went to the other big shop and they only had Dendros so got two small tubs of them just for a change hookbait, will try 3 on a size 10 I think.

They didn't have the groundbait I got last time either, the Big Marine Halibut & Frenzied Hemp, I liked that as it was nice and sticky, but got this instead which I'll sure will be fine just as a 'carrier' anyway and might actually work alright.

2020-08-19 18.26.26.jpg

carphauler

Went to the tackle shop on my way to do a 'viewing' job tonight, one in Stourbridge closed at 5pm so just missed it. That's where I would have got my lobworms from (they don't grow in my garden as soil is too compact), went to the other big shop and they only had Dendros so got two small tubs of them just for a change hookbait, will try 3 on a size 10 I think.

They didn't have the groundbait I got last time either, the Big Marine Halibut & Frenzied Hemp, I liked that as it was nice and sticky, but got this instead which I'll sure will be fine just as a 'carrier' anyway and might actually work alright.

View attachment 39821
I tend to not fish worms as they can attract eels and I hate unhooking them.