Barbel Hookbaits

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've realised all 16 of my fish so far have been caught on Sonubaits Barbel Hookbaits.

I have confidence in them as they seem to work, but have realised if they were suddenly discontinued or I couldn't get any, I wouldn't have as much faith in the other baits I've tried so far.

Tried a few others briefly, the Sonubaits Oozing Spicy Sausage ones, Berkley Gulp Halibut Boilies, and Mainline Dissolvas but not had a take on them. Not really used them enough to see if they work on or not as I'm always on the Sonubaits.

What are you all using/any recommendations?

carphauler

Roachhauler
At the moment I think you'll catch more on caster/maggot and hemp in a feeder, when the rivers got a bit more colour then as I've said, I'll use garlic meat or a plain old halibut pellet, apparently a few fish are caught on the Severn valley barbel baits, I once bought a tub of ambush ones but didn't catch much on them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yep maggots or small pellets or small cubes of meat or small balls of paste are my favourites as only ever fished for them in good or low conditions. Never fished for them in a river when it’s raging but should think that’s the time for the big stinky baits. Severn valley pellets are good. I’ve only used the 4mm and 6mm feed pellets in the feeder rather than the hook myself but my grandads had a few on the 8mm on a hair.

I have been stocking up on some hookable pellets to try (much quicker for switching baits) if I end up getting on a more pellety river in the early autumn. Got some 4mm halibuts, 6mm meatys and I think 10mm cheesy garlics.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've been using 12x15mm in the Sonubaits. And 4mm Coppens pellets through the feeder. Must try maggots/caster or smaller pellets it seems - might get a bit of a mixed bag on them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah that’s the beauty of it, for me it’s better to pick up a couple barbel and a load other fish than just a couple barbel. Maggots will obviously catch everything with dace, roach, chub, perch etc all getting involved and if they are too ravenous you might have to go with a big bunch of maggots on a fairly big hook. Pellets, meat and paste are a bit more selective though and the other fish you do get tend to be bigger.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ask Arch and then Steer well clear of that bait. 😆😆. Sorry Arch. Your time will come pal. 👍

Sticky baits Krill has done me proud this year so far but, dont forget good old sweet corn. Corn seems to catch well in hot weather. Remember me catching eight Barbel in one sitting out of the river Wharfe at Tadcaster ? .... All on corn.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Most Barbel I've had in a day was 9. So that bumped up my total. Had 9 sessions and 16 fish so far so need 4 on the next session to make it 20 fish in 10 sessions and maintain my target 2:1 fish ratio.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most barbel I've had in a day was double figures...from a stillwater ;) dont recall actually landing more than a couple in a day from a river but then I havent done it much and a couples fine when you catch other fish with them.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Most Barbel I've had in a day was 9. So that bumped up my total. Had 9 sessions and 16 fish so far so need 4 on the next session to make it 20 fish in 10 sessions and maintain my target 2:1 fish ratio.
In 2014 I had my best ever Barbel day. 31 from Lady Pit farm below the weir on the Trent. I likened it to a chub session I had many years ago below Collingham weir where the chub were so greedy they were being caught on the black cap feeder itself. Most of my Barbel that day were in the 4 - 6lb bracket with only the one double. Good going really as theres no night fishing allowed on that stretch. I've just been and counted my pellets up ( I put one 6mm pellet in a tub for every Barbel I catch and count them at the end of the season ) and I'm up to 38 Barbel this season so far so you can tell how hard we are having it. Saying that, Ive not been to any weirs and have concentrated mainly on tidal stretches such as Dunham, South Clifton, Laughterton, Girton gravels and Besthorpe.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In 2014 I had my best ever Barbel day. 31 from Lady Pit farm below the weir on the Trent. I likened it to a chub session I had many years ago below Collingham weir where the chub were so greedy they were being caught on the black cap feeder itself. Most of my Barbel that day were in the 4 - 6lb bracket with only the one double.
Blimey that’s a serious session! Proper workout that I bet 👍🏻

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I heard it was bettered the very next day mate from the same peg. I got my Barbel on a 2.5oz lead but, an angler the very next day put his chest high waders on and run a big chubber float tight to the tins on the other side. The bailiff said that he had over 40 Barbel with some very large chub mixed in. A week later my mate fished the same peg and got 15 Barbel and 2 Zander out of it. He's another angler that reminds me I've not had a Zander yet. 😲😣😜

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Forgot to mention .... Dave Harrel and Bob Roberts did a feature there a couple of years ago. Its a nice place to fish but, in this weather we are having it is mega shallow. 😣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
an angler the very next day put his chest high waders on and run a big chubber float tight to the tins on the other side. The bailiff said that he had over 40 Barbel with some very large chub mixed in. A week later my mate fished the same peg and got 15 Barbel and 2 Zander out of it. He's another angler that reminds me I've not had a Zander yet. 😲😣😜
A hell of spot on its day then

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
A hell of spot on its day then
It is pal but, it switches on and off. It shouts Barbel and chub at you but, doesn't always fish. I've fished it on what looked like the perfect day and blanked before now. Next time I'm there pal I'll take some pics for you. You'll not believe anyone could blank from there. Peg 15 is another peg / area which is the low side of a tree is a more consistent peg. But, dont tell anyone. 😆😆

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've fished it on what looked like the perfect day and blanked before now. Next time I'm there pal I'll take some pics for you. You'll not believe anyone could blank from there.
So weird when you get a day like that when everything looks perfect but it doesn’t play ball. Then you get a day where it’s less than ideal conditions but you do really well which makes you think imagine what it’s like when conditions are perfect 😂

It’s all those little nuances that make fishing interesting I guess 👍🏻

JayD

An old, but very underrated, and out of fashion, barbel bait, is cheese. It's among my top three 'go to' baits. I've not fished much for barbel recently, but had a couple, (small by national standards) to around 6lb both on cheese, so it still works.

John.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
In 2014 I had my best ever Barbel day. 31 from Lady Pit farm below the weir on the Trent. I likened it to a chub session I had many years ago below Collingham weir where the chub were so greedy they were being caught on the black cap feeder itself. Most of my Barbel that day were in the 4 - 6lb bracket with only the one double. Good going really as theres no night fishing allowed on that stretch. I've just been and counted my pellets up ( I put one 6mm pellet in a tub for every Barbel I catch and count them at the end of the season ) and I'm up to 38 Barbel this season so far so you can tell how hard we are having it. Saying that, Ive not been to any weirs and have concentrated mainly on tidal stretches such as Dunham, South Clifton, Laughterton, Girton gravels and Besthorpe.
38 Barbel this season sounds pretty good to me! And 31/40 in a day proper arm aching stuff. I need a rest after just the one fish so I can imagine the adrenalin.

I have had 4 this season from 4 sessions! 2 blanks at the very start of the season, then 3 fish, then 1 the other day! Don't want to put too much on this 2:1 fish to session ratio but I reckon that is a reasonable target for me, means I need 4 fish the next session and I will likely still be on these Sonubaits. :) I reckon it should be manageable if the rivers is in nice condition after this rain we're having.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
38 Barbel this season sounds pretty good to me! And 31/40 in a day proper arm aching stuff. I need a rest after just the one fish so I can imagine the adrenalin.

I have had 4 this season from 4 sessions! 2 blanks at the very start of the season, then 3 fish, then 1 the other day! Don't want to put too much on this 2:1 fish to session ratio but I reckon that is a reasonable target for me, means I need 4 fish the next session and I will likely still be on these Sonubaits. :) I reckon it should be manageable if the rivers is in nice condition after this rain we're having.
I do a lot more fishing than I let on mate. 😂😂. Retirement is a bee - atch some weeks Zerkalo. It’s a pain but, someone has to do it. 🤣🤣

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
About to get some groundbait for tomorrow, are lobworms worth trying when the river is up/coloured?