Barbel heavy feeder rod suggestion

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
Hi, I’ve spent a lot of money on 12ft 1.75tc barbel rods over the years and always seem to be disappointed. They are very through actioned and I think I’d prefer a rod with more powerful mid section. My heart also always sinks when I see the large carp style rings that are used on them these days. It’s made me look at older heavy, stiffer feeder rods.

I’m looking for a 12ft heavy, stiffer, fast actioned feeder rod that can cast up to 3oz. It needs to have a locking reel seat. Can anyone recommend such a rod?

Thanks

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Any heavy feeder rod will fit that description you don't need a dedicated barbel rod. Most are progressive tip action and will handle fish well into double figures. Look at the Free Spirit Power Distance models but forget the distance element and look at the tip ratings in 12 and 13ft lengths as there are several models to suit.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Have a look at Daiwa S Nzon 12 or 13 FT Heavy Feeder rod. The 13 Ft can cast up to 180g useful for when the river has some flood water barreling through. There are 12 & 13 Ft version that are rated to 3 Oz. Availability might be your problem it was only thanks to @scuttster pointing me in the direction of a 2nd hand one at Glasgow Angling Centre that I managed to get the 13 Ft 180g model.

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
Thanks. I’ll take a look at those thanks. The two barbel rods I currently have are models that everyone raves about but I dislike their through action.
One is the free spirit barbel seeker, the other a greys prodigy PB. Both expensive, well respected rods. Am I missing something? Why do you want a rod to bend right down to the butt on a modest sized barbel?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
At one time, the go-to rod was the old Daiwa porky pig

sadly not made anymore, but items in good condition often pop up on E-bay and various selling sites for a good price

grey

Site Supporter
I know the sort of rods you mean - not much on the market at the moment that's suitable really.

I'd look towards an older Tricast heavy feeder, such as the triune mentioned above - tricast's mid sections were always particularly beefy on their heavy feeders, or maybe the older XH (or even XXH) Shimano's, not quite as stiff as Tricasts, but still far stiffer than anything today - Extra Heavy Technium DF, and Stradics often crop up at decent prices on second hand sites.

There's always the Shimano Antares Power Barbel Concept if you can find/afford one :)

adriang

Site Supporter
Did you see the new one from Cadence. I saw the YouTube review last week. Des Taylor talked about his preferred action in a rod, and it sounds similar to what you're talking about. Not seen the rod personally, but the Cadence distance feeder I own is very well made.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hi, I’ve spent a lot of money on 12ft 1.75tc barbel rods over the years and always seem to be disappointed. They are very through actioned and I think I’d prefer a rod with more powerful mid section. My heart also always sinks when I see the large carp style rings that are used on them these days. It’s made me look at older heavy, stiffer feeder rods.

I’m looking for a 12ft heavy, stiffer, fast actioned feeder rod that can cast up to 3oz. It needs to have a locking reel seat. Can anyone recommend such a rod?

Thanks
I have 2 of these and rate them highly. 4oz leads/feeders aren't a problem.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I,ve fished extensively for Barbel over the years(not so much these days) and i,ve never used a dedicated barbel rod,
my rod of choice has been the Fox Challenger Heavy feeder ,it has 3oz/4oz/5oz tips,it is an old rod (about 15 years)
but it,s done for me and has landed loads of Barbel to close on 13lb and the occasional carp.
I,m sure there will still be plenty knocking around. (y)

ae111sr

Site Supporter
Back in June 2012 I had a day on the Wye with Dave Harrell fishing for chub and barbel. Dave's rod for this type os fishing and the one we used that day was a Daiwa Connoisseur 11-13ft power feeder rod (fished at 13") with a Daiwa Exceller 4000 reel loaded with 10lb line. An excellent rod and I netted two chub and nine barbel with it. According to Dave the Spectron version is made on the same blank, just a different name. Either might be worth a go if you can find them.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Recent experience of the Korum Barbel quiver. 6 and 4oz tips. Manages 3oz well on the heavier tip, with enough compression for a smooth cast. Light as a feather and well balanced with a 4000 reel. Apologies if the OPs use isn't for Barbel, i read it as it was, but if it is, through action imo is what you want and this rod is seriously good and priced in the usual Korum bracket of 60 odd quid.

grey

Site Supporter
Through action soaks up the lunges but offers less control than a fast action. It's down to personal preference than what you need.

I generally dislike through action rods. I'd rather have a fast action feeder for any river work too. Unfortunately, they're simply out of vogue at the moment.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Thanks. I’ll take a look at those thanks. The two barbel rods I currently have are models that everyone raves about but I dislike their through action.
One is the free spirit barbel seeker, the other a greys prodigy PB. Both expensive, well respected rods. Am I missing something? Why do you want a rod to bend right down to the butt on a modest sized barbel?

I have Greys Prodigy TXL Barbel rods in 12ft 2lb t/c and the action is lovely, progressive not through. and the eyes are all nice and small, this rod could be worth a look (y)

nejohn

Site Supporter
I use an old Shimano Stradic 12ft heavy feeder rod for most of my feeder fishing on the Wye and it works well for what I do, not sure if it would be any good for venues like the tidal Trent but as long as you are not looking to chuck really big feeders to the horizon then it's fine and never had any issues with it controlling Barbel and Chub , never had any real monsters but not an issue with fish upto 10lb. You often see them come up on eBay for not a lot of cash

Lucky Strike

Site Supporter
I use an old Shimano Stradic 12ft heavy feeder rod for most of my feeder fishing on the Wye and it works well for what I do, not sure if it would be any good for venues like the tidal Trent but as long as you are not looking to chuck really big feeders to the horizon then it's fine and never had any issues with it controlling Barbel and Chub , never had any real monsters but not an issue with fish upto 10lb. You often see them come up on eBay for not a lot of cash
I’ve just picked up a 12ft shimano Stradic heavy feeder for a good price. It’s a great feeling rod, very light, stiff and fast actioned. It has 3 tips - 2.5 oz, 3oz and 4oz. Nejohn, what tips do you opt for?

nejohn

Site Supporter
I’ve just picked up a 12ft shimano Stradic heavy feeder for a good price. It’s a great feeling rod, very light, stiff and fast actioned. It has 3 tips - 2.5 oz, 3oz and 4oz. Nejohn, what tips do you opt for?
I tend to use the lightest for most of my fishing unless I am fishing in really heavy flow then I go with the middle one