Barbel habits day/night

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Am i right in assuming Barbel usually stay in the fast water in the daylight and drop back into the deeper slower stuff at night?

I've seen a few vids of Collingham weir and the first couple of pegs are said to be flyers during the day, and the pegs where it slows up don't do anything until after dark.

Not a place i plan to fish yet Collingham weir (don't imagine i'd get a peg), but my local Sawley Weir i'm wondering if i can apply the same thinking?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
No mate,Barbel like all fish are unpredictable and do what they want.
If anything it's the other way round and they will try to find cover on a very clear river during the day.

Only way you will find out is to fish it and try to be a bit different to the herd. One angler catches a massive fish at night and within a short while that's the only time to catch them.

On heavily fished waters then it will always be more a case of "pot luck"

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Different rivers different Habits i see, i catch Barbel throughout the Day on the Wharfe regular, but on the Trent have had very few. Best to cast around different baits, what works one day might not the next, Move Pegs try Longer/shorter hooklengths. As for flyers again what produces one day might not the next, again moving to find em traveling light is the key unless yer there for the long haul then Baiting up sensible is key.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Big factor too is how heavily night or day or both, the river/section is fished, which then contributes to any reliance the Barbel have on anglers bait. As Lee suggested, i agree it is the other way around, and i would almost guarantee that on places that see alot of pressure, that pressure is a massive factor in the Barbel's conditioning and when coupled with all of the variable conditions there are too.

Last edited:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Meant too add.
In terms of the almost commercial like Collingham weir, it isn't the depth or pace of water that sees the fish venture down further later on, it will be the lower light levels that sees them leave the 'safety' of the weir (snags in the weir too). Fish do go on the move later on and spread out, wonder too if the anglers in the weir slow up on the bait going in somewhat, hence they do go looking. Again, for me, its how that conditioning is impacted on by angling.

To emphasise the depth matter, find some gravels first thing once light has broken through and you will see patches of cleaned and disrupted stones, where the Barbel have fed quite happily under low light of dark and in about a foot of water sometimes.