barbel /carp baits

Status
Not open for further replies.

n/a3

deleted
looking for imformation on action baits carp/barbel sausage sizzle bait enhancer

j willson

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I have not used any of these, but I do use the ones from Archie Braddock. There are powdered and liquid flavours in his range.

I use mega spicy powder to flavour hemp, which I use then for barbel, tench and carp. Spice suprise, tench magic and barbel magic I add to corn and meat for use on the hook.

All have taken fish regularly for the last few years.

chill out go fishing

Oerrie

hi i would like to know if you have a good carp bait for me and how do i breed maggots and does maggots work for carp

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oerrie,

Welcome to the wonderful world of maggotdrowners, and all the way from RSA.

Maggots do work for carp. As for breeding your own, best of luck matey.

A good easy bait is cubes of luncheon meat or bacon grill or sweet corn.

Dave is the carp "expert" (ROFLMOL) and he will advise you on carp baits and tactics I am sure.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everready,

Likewise I haven't tried the Action Baits but here is a link to Archie Braddocks site which is packed with information and tales of different bait mixes and additives http://www.braddocksbaits.co.uk/

Oerrie, breeding maggots is one of the messiest baits I have ever tried to 'make' not forgetting the smell.
But if you want to have a go then here's a sure fire way of rearing some:

1) Get yourself an Ox heart or Chicken breast and place in a tin in a sheltered place. In a couple of the tin sides you want to punch holes about 2cm in diameter.
2) Leave for a couple of days and then check the meat for blows. These are white clusters of eggs that should by now have been laid on it.
3) Close the holes and wait until the blows have hatched into maggots and started to feed into the meat. At this point you will need to add some more food such as meat leftovers, chicken, etc but not fish and possibly transfer the whole lot into a larger container.
4) Once the maggots have grown tip the offending mess onto a piece of mesh over a tray with either bran or sawdust in. The maggots once ready will leave the meat and fall below where they can then be collected for bait.

Like I said it is a messy, smelly operation and one thats best not carried out too close to the homestead but catching your first fish on a bait that you have reared does have certain advantages.

Keep the maggots in clean bran until you want to use them but obviously the temperatures in SA will be the limiting factor as to how long the process will take and they will last.

Regards, Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Oerrie - something else you might want to try that the UK folk can't do being as crowded as they are.

Find a nice area that is people free. Take a can with some blown meat in it, holes in the bottom, and screen over the top and hang it on a limb over the water.

This will make a maggot self-feeder that will keep them going slowly into the water for days. You should then have an area that is very fishy.

You can even make sure if it is carp you have attracted if you hang the can over a weedy area. Carp will root out the weed and there will be a clear area under and around your can.

Do you use the Mielie Bom for your carping? Very similar to one of our US baiting techniques and works well unless you are just over-run with small fish.

Newt Vail

Oerrie

thanks Newt and Dave for your tips i did not know you guys know what mieliebom is so i dindnt realy talk about it last night ok but the way i make my mieliebom : i use readymix mieliebom with this i ad 1 cup of custard and one bottel of vanilla essence mix these two together then i have a look at my fishing waters if the water is clear i would ad green floro to my mieliebom if its cloudy i would ad red floro this works for me as ground bait if you have a better idea please let me know and thanks again for replying excuse my english im actualy afrikaans but i try

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oerrie,

You may be Afrikaans but your English is better than that of the posters who live in Yorkshire and all points North.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
OI Geoff,

Waz tha own bar mukka, das dunt know nowt abart t queens english icon_smile_big.gif

Oerrie, Geoffs the fella thas nos, dunt thas Geoff. lol

- Dave
(the Yorkshire man icon_smile_big.gif)

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Oerrie - Not only is your writing fine but I would probably understand you speaking better than I would many on this bbs.

These guys have some really, really strange accents.

Not sure about the UK guys but I have swapped mielie bom / pack bait ideas with a few of your countrymen in the past. We use a lot of oats and a special sort of corn meal called grits where the corn is soaked in a strong lye solution until the hull disolves and the grain swells up (to form homminy) and then dried and ground to a coarse texture.

Newt Vail

Larry

Lazarus
Oerie iv'e found some of the best the baits are whats in the kitchen cupboard ie, Bread,can be used as flake,paste .crust for floating on top,sweetcorn ,luncheon meat,bacon grill,meat balls sausagemeat made into a paste,flavours, curry sauce,aniseed,vanilla, paprika,all spice,oriental spices,get mollasse's from your horse food suppliers ,I get a gallon for the price of a small bottle of Van den end .& don't forget maggot;s worm,s,red worms,lob worms brandling's.Also dog food mixer,cat food go cat also cat meat,I got all this info of a mate who match fish's local carp pool venue's&do's very well out of what he call's his Corner Shop Mix also don't forget ground bait mix which in it you can put in hemp ,& free samples of all the hook bait's your likely to use.& it doesn't cost a fortune i think a lot of this carp bait is meant to catch the angler & not the fish ive only used the system &have caught load's of carp with it.

Cheer's Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.