Barbel Alley

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Where is it?

I've heard it gets its name from a sign at Hampton Loade, but can in reality come to mean anywhere on the Severn from Bridgnorth to Bewdley, but not sure if that's right.

I have been fishing the Severn for Barbel for two years now and only just getting used to fishing a couple of stretches. I have heard it referred to as a 'River Commercial'.

To me I fish Arley RB and Hampton Loade LB but I've only found about 5 pegs that I think are really worth fishing at both (caveat - within comfortable walking distance at least as I've only walked 2 or 3 meadows).

There are more pegs at Highley, which is day ticket like HL, but it gets busy even compared to the BAA stretches.

So other than the Highley and Hampton Loade, which stretches are being referred to as I'd like to fish some other places this year?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I might be wrong but I think it refers to the area roughly from Bridgnorth to bewdley thus including them and taking in the likes of highley, arley, Hampton lode etc.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I might be wrong but I think it refers to the area roughly from Bridgnorth to bewdley thus including them and taking in the likes of highley, arley, Hampton lode etc.
There are town stretches which are supposedly free at both of those towns but I'm yet to find them. I want to get out of the habit of fishing the same few pegs but other BAA stretches I've walked along, Blackstone (doesn't look too Barbel-y to me) and Knowle Sands (treacherous mud and banks in places and not always easy fishing from my perspective) I don't know where to really start despite living 15-20 minutes away from both towns.

Robwooly

There's two thoughts depending on who you ask Bridgnorth to Bewdley is the generic Barbel Alley area but specifically it used to be the straight bit at Hampton Loade near the pumping station. I suppose it depends how big you want your alley :)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think that must be HL right bank. I always fish the Kinver Freeliners LB stretch and to get to decent pegs there it seems you have to walk past the gravel canoe stop and there are two pegs from then on with platforms and then a few pegs fishable from the bank which are all pretty good. That's where I usually fish.

River was up this day, but this is where I'd take people who wanted to come fish the Severn without a BAA ticket. The only pegs I know of really.

Hampton Loade.jpeg

That's the peg @rd115 caught his first Severn Barbel from.

tysontim

Site Supporter
Here you go mate park on pub and river is right in front of you.
Good food good fishing and even camping or stay in pub rooms.
Ferry to the other side where their is another nice pub, I think it’s called the river and railway not sure now, and at the bottom of the drive you can get the steam train, great place imho.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Here you go mate park on pub and river is right in front of you.
Good food good fishing and even camping or stay in pub rooms.
Ferry to the other side where their is another nice pub, I think it’s called the river and railway not sure now, and at the bottom of the drive you can get the steam train, great place imho.
Cheers mate. Don't know why I always fish the Kinver Freeliners stretch so far. Got some exploring to do this closed season.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
there was one place near there that used to make me damp thinking about fishing it

I used to fish Larford lakes a fair bit and on the road to it, there was a pub on the left hand side with a caravan park attached and on the other side of the road one of the nicest weirpools I ever saw, proper big roach water that I would say holds barbels as well,

BARBELIN

Quatford 1 - 4 long walk and a big hill but good for barbel. Meadow 2 walk down to you see a chimney stack poking out of the trees a good area. Peg is known as the stack.
The Danery just up from Quatford short walk from road from road first 3 pegs produce known as the White House bend for obvious reasons and Knowle Sands and Erdington on the opposite bank.

tysontim

Site Supporter
there was one place near there that used to make me damp thinking about fishing it

I used to fish Larford lakes a fair bit and on the road to it, there was a pub on the left hand side with a caravan park attached and on the other side of the road one of the nicest weirpools I ever saw, proper big roach water that I would say holds barbels as well,
That would be Holt Fleet Mick, there was a pub either side of the Bridge one called the Bridge and the Holt Fleet is the one with the caravans on.

The weir pool holds some cracking chub too along with some big old Pike and Eels.

BARBELIN

Bridgnorth AS day ticket stretch along side Bridgnorth golf club can throw up big barbel as well. The BAA have a stretch opposite as well.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
That would be Holt Fleet Mick, there was a pub either side of the Bridge one called the Bridge and the Holt Fleet is the one with the caravans on.

The weir pool holds some cracking chub too along with some big old Pike and Eels.
in reference to Joe C's thread, if I ever owned a dream fishery, that would be way up there on the list

it looks a cracking venue and I love weir pool fishing,

tysontim

Site Supporter
It’s quite a good stretch all along there Mick, you can fish off the Wharf pub as they call it on day ticket right outside the pub and there is camping available on site or stay in the rooms in the pub.

A few of my mates sold their houses and brought caravans opposite the weir pool and live on there 11 months of the year, they reckon it’s the best move they ever made.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Barbel alley is Bridgnorth to Bewdley so just look on the BAA site for those stretches as they're listed in order including Arley, Hampton Loade, Eardington,Danery, Knowle Sands, Trimpley, Coombey farm, Stanley, Alveley, Quatford, etc