Barbados to dump the Queen

genesis

Just Living Leg End
Site Supporter
As long as once they are independant they don't come knocking for a handout
Do you really think they would. It's not as if we are a soft touch is it. It's a nice place as I have been twice on holiday but it does rely heavily on tourism, so as long as people can go there it should be okay.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I think its unfair to use the word "dump". As a nation looking to establish themselves as fully independent after 55 years since gaining that status it would seem a logical progression. It is up to each nation to decide who should be its head of state, that is the meaning of independence.

They will, I am sure remain part of the Commonwealth and as such retain their links to the UK and the Queen.

genesis

Just Living Leg End
Site Supporter
I think its unfair to use the word "dump". As a nation looking to establish themselves as fully independent after 55 years since gaining that status it would seem a logical progression. It is up to each nation to decide who should be its head of state, that is the meaning of independence.

They will, I am sure remain part of the Commonwealth and as such retain their links to the UK and the Queen.
Of course they will as they will want us to keep giving them the cash aid every year.

Reuben

Site Supporter
No great loss imo. I think when the current monarch goes the Commonwealth will fade away too. No real reason to keep it going apart from nostalgia.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Strange that. In many ways Barbados is more British than Britain.