Barb removal, file or crush ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have dozens of packs of barbed hooks, and as a lot of fisheries now want barbless only, I was going to file off the barbs. Just wondering if anyone has done this, does it weaken the hook? . got jag files & pen so should be OK regards rust ( though I wouldn't do them all at once), and does crushing make the hook totally rule friendly if they get you to stick a hook in your jumper ?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
does crushing make the hook totally rule friendly if they get you to stick a hook in your jumper ?

NO and it will result in you being kicked off. ;)

In all honesty it's not worth faffing about with them. Just store them away for when you visit natural venues. Lots of places you can still use them.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You'd be kicked off the waters round here using them. It's still barbed hook, modified granted, but still barbed.

sjmclean

Yeah it's a ban for crushed or filed barbs where I fish.

Natural waters they'll be fine.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I've wondered this for my pike fishing, i usually buy barbed trebles and crush 2 of them so i still have one barb that anchors into a deadbait.

Is there anywhere that sells trebles with only one barb?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Yeah it's a ban for crushed or filed barbs where I fish.
How would they tell the difference between a hook that has had a barb filed, or a hand sharpened hook (which seem to be all the rage at present) ?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Loads on eBay too, from single hooks to packs of 50.

Freesolo82

I have only ever crushed my the barb usually on a small hook when speed fishing for small fish

Freesolo82

How would they tell the difference between a hook that has had a barb filed, or a hand sharpened hook (which seem to be all the rage at present) ?

Depends on the size of the hook. big enough you can tell by sight and you can spot a barbed hook a mile off if someone is using a disgorger on it but like a lot of things in fishing the owner of a lake relies on the good faith of anglers who fish to follow the rules.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
you can spot a barbed hook a mile off if someone is using a disgorger on it

What a load of rubbish. I, and many others, will frequently use a disgorger in conjunction with barbless hooks. It's a lot less hassle to do so with small fish and when using small hooks. Don't assume that someone is using a barbed hook just because they use a disgorger.

Freesolo82

What a load of rubbish. I, and many others, will frequently use a disgorger in conjunction with barbless hooks. It's a lot less hassle to do so with small fish and when using small hooks. Don't assume that someone is using a barbed hook just because they use a disgorger.

I was talking about the motion of the disgorger on a barbed hook being jerky vs smooth on a barbless. I don't quite know what you interpreted from my comment :oops:

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I was talking about the motion of the disgorger on a barbed hook being jerky vs smooth on a barbless. I don't quite know what you interpreted from my comment :oops:

Sorry, even with your jerky motion caveat, it's still a ridiculous assumption. I really hope you don't grass people up based on this rubbish.

grey

Site Supporter
Same as everything else in life, try your best to do the right thing: if you've only got barbed, flatten it of file it - at least you're trying your best to abide by the rules.

On the other hand, I've never had my hook checked at any water, so it can't be that high on the owners' priority of rules on the venues I visit.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think I get the point freesolo. You could see someone taking longer to use a disgorger and presume that they might be using barbed hooks. Personally I would not use flattened barbs on a barbless venue as would get kicked off if caught.

sjmclean

Fairley easily.

Is hand sharpening hooks a thing? Never heard of it.

solwood

Site Supporter
My club this world be a ban, has to be barbless from the factory

Bailiffs regularly check hooks, I use a fishing towel to check, barbless size 12 and up, micro barbed 14 down, I know every manufacturer is different, I find preston PR38 pretty big for their size ship use that as mY maximum guidance when bailiffing. I mostly user drennan hooks

Hand sharpening is generally carp models and it would take some patience to file a barbed hook so it was completely barbless

ukzero1

Site Supporter
The half dozen or so that sharpen their own hooks in our club are Carpers, note the word 'sharpen', not remove a barb. Our waters are barbless only.