Banned Breeds

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice pond BTW mate 👍
Thanks mate. Was in a bit of a mid summer algae bloom at that point hence the commie water colour!

More the colour it’s supposed to be. No Moorhens so no dog this time she’s not interested in fish 😂

1636583388620.jpeg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've had dogs all my life and worked with working dogs.
One dog we had was a Labrador x Rotweiller which we bought from a farm that did boarding kennels as a pup many years ago - basically a black Rottie with a long tail.
She was a brilliant dog, loyal and protective of my missus and young daughter, great guard dog in the home and my missus would happily leave the dog with the kiddie buggy outside a shop knowing that they'd be there when she came back out. (30+years ago mind) .
One day we had an intruder in the house, the dog took the intruder out of the open door, leapt a garden gate with him, and deposited him on the path where he ran off. I wondered what the hell had happened until a neighbour told us. We were upstairs at the time and the intruder walked in the open door; the dog (Penny) was behind the settee at the time until disturbed.

One day at work I got a call and 'Penny' had trapped my missus and father in the house, and wouldn't respond to any commands, but instead was aggressive everytime anyone tried to open the door. The last thing you want is an 8/9stone dog being aggressive towards you.
I came home, went to open the gate, the dog launched itself at me, snarling, aggressive, wouldn't respond to shouted commands.

Cutting a long story short I belted her with a lump hammer as I opened the gate and hurriedly ran down into the cellar with her. Once thrown in the cellar and the door closed she came round and tried to take the place apart... then calmed right down.
Afterwards she was back to her normal friendly but confident self.

A trip to the vets followed and a full check-up revealed there was nothing physically wrong with her. The vet said he thought it was a mix of her adolescence (2 year old) and mixed emotions due to the cross-breeding.
She went shortly afterwards to a farm as a guard dog as there was no way we would risk it happening again.

A good dog turned bad, yet she was so well trained and very loyal.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
OK, what's your thinking?

I have been involved with dogs all my life, been the chairman of several clubs including sport dog clubs. I have seen very good owners who have had a dog that is ‘not right’ and no amount of training or behaviourist attention will sort it. Many years ago I owned a Dobermann that attacked me, it was diagnosed with idiopathic aggression, it’s something also found in Cocker Spaniels. (Idiopathic - no known cause). The dog would be fine and all of a sudden he would attack, his eyes changed from brown to green and he was trance like, when the attack stopped, he would be looking at you wagging his tail, he had no idea what he was doing. The vet thought it might be some obscure thing related to epilepsy, but couldn’t say for sure.

I have a very good friend in Belgium, who has a reputation in Europe and in this country for beeeding dogs with fantastic temperaments, last year she had a dog turn, it had been raised the same as all the others, bred from carefully selected lines and taken out and about, to dog club every week all it’s life.

It’s not always the fault of the owner, it’s impossible to train every dog to behave impeccably, dogs can sometimes react due to pressure, pain, illness, as well as not being given a disciplined and routine lifestyle (dogs like routine). It’s likely inexperienced owners, or those that don’t care might not notice the signs (and be more likely to buy dogs from back street breeders or puppy farms).

satinet

Site Supporter
Dogs are medium sized predatory animals often bred for hunting or guard duties. Therefore attacks and bites etc are inevitable. The idea that if only they had all had lovely owners, and more dog chews, it would never happen is facile.

I've got a ram (sheep). About 120kg. If you go on a field with him he's liable to put you on your arse. Maybe he just had a bad upbringing.

I struggle to see the thought process if you have a dog that's good at guarding you or your property, with the intelligence level that dogs have, that there's no chance it's going to attack the wrong person at some point.

TiggerXFM

Dog was bought from Facebook.
Begs the question of parenting. Why buy a adult dog that’s been sold because it’s been aggressive towards other dogs when you have kids.
Case of bad dog and bad owner.
Looking at the dog. I wouldn’t go near anything that looked like that.

Killer dog's original owner speaks to police after selling 'beast' on Facebook

8B623F70-EAE2-4723-AE64-9293AF7AE889.jpeg

I never believe these stories from the MSN, odds on that picture isn't even the dog in question!
They ALWAYS love to use pictures of bully type dog even if the dog in question is a jack russel !

Also, you never know what has happened to the dog to cause it to freak out. People, kids, can do some very nasty things to animals and everything has a breaking point.
Problem is (for the dog, or animal) you will only ever get one side of the story.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Pitbulls are notorious but I've still seen them on the street. I think they're banned for a reason, to do with their temperament and the amount of incidents involving them. Staffies are not in the same category but you do get people who buy them for the wrong and obvious reasons, I have known a local drug dealer who was criminal in his treatment of his Staffy to the point of feeding it steroids and setting it on other dogs. Then again I have known good owners of reputable breeds, like my mate whose parents had a Great Dane but ended up having to get it put down it when it bit a kid. There are breeds other than Pitbulls that do sometimes attack, mate had an a Akita and I've heard of incidents involving them, doesn't mean they're all bad but you never know..

TiggerXFM

Pitbulls are notorious but I've still seen them on the street. I think they're banned for a reason, to do with their temperament and the amount of incidents involving them. Staffies are not in the same category but you do get people who buy them for the wrong and obvious reasons, I have known a local drug dealer who was criminal in his treatment of his Staffy to the point of feeding it steroids and setting it on other dogs. Then again I have known good owners of reputable breeds, like my mate whose parents had a Great Dane but ended up having to get it put down it when it bit a kid. There are breeds other than Pitbulls that do sometimes attack, mate had an a Akita and I've heard of incidents involving them, doesn't mean they're all bad but you never know..
Just curious how you know what temperement a pitbull has? Have you ever had a pitbull?

After owning numerous bull breeds, working breeds, and even down to the tiny chi's I have found that the most loveing, loyal and gentle breeds are without doubt the bull breeds.
Because they are strongly built and can look after themselves they usualy come out on top in a violent situation which is for the biggest part after another dog has attacked them or similar.
People see the other dog with injuries etc and then look at the bull type dog and instantly find it guilty.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just curious how you know what temperement a pitbull has? Have you ever had a pitbull?

After owning numerous bull breeds, working breeds, and even down to the tiny chi's I have found that the most loveing, loyal and gentle breeds are without doubt the bull breeds.
Because they are strongly built and can look after themselves they usualy come out on top in a violent situation which is for the biggest part after another dog has attacked them or similar.
People see the other dog with injuries etc and then look at the bull type dog and instantly find it guilty.
Fair point, it's just based on what I've seen and read of them compared to owning them.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If you put Pitbull into youtube and avoid the 'rapper' of the same name there's no end of incidents in America, often involving the police shooting them.

grey

Site Supporter
It'd be far safer out there if 'ban the breed' applied to the owner rather than the dog.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My aunt lived across the road from the 'American Bulldog' attack on an elderly woman the other month in Rowley Regis. Not a banned breed in that case but it still happened. You could blame the owner or just see it as an opportunist attack that's part of the nature of owning that kind of dog.

For that reason, I would never own one personally, and have always been on guard going to mates houses who've had Staffy/Lab crosses, Rottweilers, and Akitas. For many it seems the ownership of such dogs is to do with the 'status' that comes with them and you can't get around that so if they weren't banned I'd bet my money on a lot of 'thugs' owning them, even if you can get good owners.

I'll stick to my small breeds if I ever get a house dog.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Years ago I was out with the kids in the local park and we met a guy with a Golden Retriever with a muzzle on. The kids wanted to stroke it, the guy warned against it.

Wolf fish

Zerkalo, a small breed like a Parson Jack Russell are great but nearly all the ones I have known had a strange trait. They would welcome a stranger into the house and loved to be stroked but when it came time for the visitor to leave they would guard the door to stop them leaving, a few even jumped and hung on to their wrist when the door handle was held. They did this gently and did not break the skin. Other owners have recalled the same trait.

I say Parsons because I just don’t like those stunted short legged types.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Punish the deed not the breed!

I had a massive argument with a stupid old fart who was determined a lad i know had a pit bull.... calling the police, going to have the dog shot, the lad is going to prison blah blah blah.

Believe me when i tell you...i took great enjoyment in telling the stupid old fart just what an idiot he is for not being able to tell the difference between a pit bull and an American bull dog.

I've even been accused of having a pitbull because people don't realise there are different 'Staffys' and i had an AmStaff.
i agree with you trogg ,but when kids get mutilated or worse i think we should be doing thinks differently i couldn't live with it if it was one of my granddaughters
All dogs have the potential to turn the problems are when you cant get them off

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Zerkalo, a small breed like a Parson Jack Russell are great but nearly all the ones I have known had a strange trait. They would welcome a stranger into the house and loved to be stroked but when it came time for the visitor to leave they would guard the door to stop them leaving, a few even jumped and hung on to their wrist when the door handle was held. They did this gently and did not break the skin. Other owners have recalled the same trait.

I say Parsons because I just don’t like those stunted short legged types.

My mate had a couple of Jack Russells when I was in Junior school, the were fine, a bit yappy, but like you say... everytime I was left in a room alone with them they would jump up and 'snap' at my face. Only being a kid at the time they came very close to my face! My mate and his parents wouldn't believe it as they only did it when I was left alone with them. One of them also chased me across the park on my bike on the way home from school once. For that reason, I've never been that keen on that breed, but my brother has a Jug and that's a lovely dog.

I've only ever had a Shih-Tzu, so never been much of a 'dog person', it probably influences my opinion, but if I went for another dog I'd want a King Charles Spaniel, a lovely breed even though they have their own problems. Thing is, you don't see many 'local drug dealer' types with these dogs, where I used to live a Staffy was the breed of choice, and if Pitbulls weren't banned I'm sure they'd all have one of those.

TiggerXFM

I'll stick to my small breeds if I ever get a house dog.
As well as bullies, we show the smallest breed of dog in the world, here's one, how cute and nice does she look....

Screenshot-20201218-170905.jpg

She would take yer f'kin leg off given half the chance , seriously 😱