Bankside / Towpath Etiquette - long pole & busy path

Davethefish

Looking at it from another perspective:
As a former club runner regularly pushing myself to extremes in order to improve competitive racing times, I used run fairly regularly on Leeds & L/pool canal, on then relatively quiet areas around Skipton back in the 1980's. This might involve running flat out, say, between two timed marks, sometimes for anything between five and thirty minutes non stop. Other competitive runners I knew did likewise, often because roads were too busy, congested and dangerous. How do you think such runners feel if, after pushing themselves very hard for 15/20 minutes, and, timing themselves, realising that they are very near a personal best time for a particular session/route, they find their canal path blocked by angling gear?

Probably the same way that a pedestrian or angler might feel with runners puffing and panting in close proximity to them on a narrow towpath.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I park at the bottom of Moncktons Lane, Maidstone - it’s signposted as Ringlestone off the roundabout for the barracks.

From the kerbside of the close to the waterside is less than 2 minutes. I usually head to the right and fish opposite the moored boats as I find the pike hunters use the swims to the left (townward) opposite the wooded banks almost all the time - I see a lot of livebaiting and deadbaiting with giant controller floats there but yet to see a pike out.

There is an odd parking restriction (10:00-10:30 Mon-Fri) which is zealously enforced but otherwise a nice quiet secure spot.

I recommend it - the water flow can be a bit varied over quite a short time period depending on what they are doing with the lock at Allington and boat traffic can be irksome too since there are boats thumping up and down there more suited to Monte Carlo harbour rather than Maidstone but a small price to pay for superb free sport.
That odd parking restriction is fairly common. It's to stop people parking there all day.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Get ready for some agro. I stopped going up to the Leeds / Liverpool canal for this reason. Mountain bikers cycling past at break neck speeds. It’s not worth the raise in blood pressure pal.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Cyclists and runners are fine because even though I’m hearing impaired I can still make them out before they get to me - the bigger problem is electric scooters who are silent and hurtle along.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
I know that bit your on about, ever thought of going over the other side of maidstone, out Tovil way,there used to be some really good bream and roach fishing out there

rudd

Site Supporter
Looking at it from another perspective:
As a former club runner regularly pushing myself to extremes in order to improve competitive racing times, I used run fairly regularly on Leeds & L/pool canal, on then relatively quiet areas around Skipton back in the 1980's. This might involve running flat out, say, between two timed marks, sometimes for anything between five and thirty minutes non stop. Other competitive runners I knew did likewise, often because roads were too busy, congested and dangerous. How do you think such runners feel if, after pushing themselves very hard for 15/20 minutes, and, timing themselves, realising that they are very near a personal best time for a particular session/route, they find their canal path blocked by angling gear?
Now 76 yrs old I still run, on forest and lowland hill trails, often still timing myself over favourite routes looking for good times to beat previous personal bests. My present bugbear are inconsiderate dog walkers whose un-leaded dogs run at me/jump up on me/ bark and chase me, while owners bleat, "Oh he won't bite you!" I've had shorts and tops torn, legs scratched, and on a couple of occasions bite marks. "He's only playing " doesn't repair torn £40 running tops!
Rant over for the day, 'cos I was chased by an alsatian this morning!
And this is the point.
There are many users of varying types of users on varying types of terrain.
Each thinking about themselves - not others. Anglers can be very guilty of this - saw an argument mid week beach angler v family whos kids were swimming in same bay!
If you want to run safely - use a running track or sports field! 😉

The Landlord

Site Supporter
On the Shropshire Union Canal between Chester & Ellesmere Port, they used to have a horse-drawn barge that took daytrippers out. One day there was a huge match on there & I remember someone yelling "HORSE!!"..........the bloody shire horse had got loose & was galloping down the towpath. You've never seen so many poles get hastily unshipped & stuffed into the bushes :ROFLMAO:
It's not always cyclists & joggers!

StuH

Site Supporter
Ship to the side but it requires careful setting up of the rollers. I grew up fishing the Leeds-Liverpool canal and it's still my favourite sort of fishing but weekends are horrendous and the stress doesn't make it worth it.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
You asked about he etiquette, most of the answers you have received have been about the method you can use. I still think if the towpath is a busy one you should not use a long pole on it. If a child or an elderly person or even a cyclist trips over your pole you could be facing into a compo claim ! Just saying ! Why leave yourself open ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I know that bit your on about, ever thought of going over the other side of maidstone, out Tovil way,there used to be some really good bream and roach fishing out there
I barely know the river at all Mick - this stretch was recommended first as free with good banks for my boy which is why we’ve spent a fair bit of time on it.

Would be very interested in finding some more spots though, did pop as far as teapot island yesterday evening but only got a very frosty “you can’t fish here it’s club water” from a guy on the bank - thing was I didn’t even have a rod with me, I was just chatting to anyone fishing for tips.
:confused:

Dslayer

dslayer
Personally I would make pole fishing anywhere illegal... full stop ... but only punishable by fine.

Poles on canals or other restricted places .... off with their head!!

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Fished the Gloucester Canal the other week at Pilot and it was absolute carnage.

Im taking my lad to the junior Canal Champs on Saturday on the Shropshire Union and while dont expect the towpath to be as busy the boat traffic will be!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Fished the Gloucester Canal the other week at Pilot and it was absolute carnage.

Im taking my lad to the junior Canal Champs on Saturday on the Shropshire Union and while dont expect the towpath to be as busy the boat traffic will be!
Our Chairman & secretary fished the Shroppy the other day, between Chester & Tarporley. Only two boats all day & there's some massive moorings along that stretch. Is the Junior Champs at Soudley this year?