Bankside / Towpath Etiquette - long pole & busy path

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Moving back up into the big leagues for a little while - being loaned a pole (Maver Match 14.5m) by the son of one of my workmates to have a play on the River Medway - either the Maidstone town stretch or my regular Ringlestone spot.

The bankside / towpath varies in width but usually around 6‘ and is very busy with walkers, joggers, cyclists, prams & buggies, etc.

I‘ve never fished a river with a long pole - plenty of lakes, ponds, commercials but no rivers but I know shipping up a bank onto double rollers is out of the question.

So before I inadvertently do something very silly can someone give me a brief 101 on technique - seen mention of shipping sideways but not seen it done so no idea how. I have inherited some bolt ons for my seatbox from the same lad such as a ripple bar & pole sock to make life a bit simpler.

Karl

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally you wouldn’t be able to drag me with wild horses to a narrow, busy towpath to fish, especially with a pole. The only option is to ship along the bank and not behind you. Seen poles cycled through, joggers trying to hurdle them and it generally being a throughly unenjoyable experience.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve fished it with both waggler and stick but I like the idea of tucking in close to some far bank boats where I’ve seen a bit of activity.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Quite simple really, if right handed you put your rollers to your right along the canal as close to the water as possible so that it points just in front of your chest , l use v rollers on bank sticks. Put your pole made up except the top kit on the rollers. Bait up your top kit and flick rig out in front of you, put your top kit on the pole then ship out to your left keeping close to the left hand bank until you are holding the butt. Swing rig around to your swim and fish. When you hook one swing the pole to your left until you can unship along your rollers remove top kit and land fish being very careful with your landing net handle. Best to net fish from the side not in front of you. Repeat.
Have fun !

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Fishing to hand is another option then you can reduce the breaking down to a couple of sections by fishing say 5 or 6 meters of line and adding sections to suit.

davej1981

Tow path etiquette imo works both ways. I wouldn’t be leaving unused sections across the tow path or shipping back when people ard coming and likwise if ive already shipped back for any reason i would expect pedestrians and cyclists to wait the few seconds it would take to get back into the water. Unfortunately not everyone would think like this

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
We pay a Licence for our Sport but you dont see any special Pole fishing Lane put in place on Tow paths ;);)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fishing long pole and shipping to the side is a recipe for disaster in the hands of the inexperienced as too much side leverage can be put on the pole when playing and netting any reasonable sized fish.
Much better to put the rollers along the right hand bank (if right handed) for shipping in and out for bait changes, small fish, etc, but also use a pair of roosts or seat height rollers in the 4:00pm position so that you can ship back, break down one or two sections at a time, and leave the sections off the ground when landing anything of any size.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Back when I used to fish matches on the canal it was easier as we would all just ship straight back behind as maybe apart from the end pegs, cyclists would know something was going on and have to slow down or stop for everyone. Though I did see at least one juniors pole go crunch. When I'm fishing on my own it's a different story, especially as it's cycle central on the canal near me so I ship to the side.

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
I'd say the pole you've been loaned is in grave danger of getting destroyed and therefore I wouldn't be using it in these circumstances

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Looking at it from another perspective:
As a former club runner regularly pushing myself to extremes in order to improve competitive racing times, I used run fairly regularly on Leeds & L/pool canal, on then relatively quiet areas around Skipton back in the 1980's. This might involve running flat out, say, between two timed marks, sometimes for anything between five and thirty minutes non stop. Other competitive runners I knew did likewise, often because roads were too busy, congested and dangerous. How do you think such runners feel if, after pushing themselves very hard for 15/20 minutes, and, timing themselves, realising that they are very near a personal best time for a particular session/route, they find their canal path blocked by angling gear?
Now 76 yrs old I still run, on forest and lowland hill trails, often still timing myself over favourite routes looking for good times to beat previous personal bests. My present bugbear are inconsiderate dog walkers whose un-leaded dogs run at me/jump up on me/ bark and chase me, while owners bleat, "Oh he won't bite you!" I've had shorts and tops torn, legs scratched, and on a couple of occasions bite marks. "He's only playing " doesn't repair torn £40 running tops!
Rant over for the day, 'cos I was chased by an alsatian this morning!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Out of interest Taff

where do you call ringlestone in maidstone ?
I park at the bottom of Moncktons Lane, Maidstone - it’s signposted as Ringlestone off the roundabout for the barracks.

From the kerbside of the close to the waterside is less than 2 minutes. I usually head to the right and fish opposite the moored boats as I find the pike hunters use the swims to the left (townward) opposite the wooded banks almost all the time - I see a lot of livebaiting and deadbaiting with giant controller floats there but yet to see a pike out.

There is an odd parking restriction (10:00-10:30 Mon-Fri) which is zealously enforced but otherwise a nice quiet secure spot.

I recommend it - the water flow can be a bit varied over quite a short time period depending on what they are doing with the lock at Allington and boat traffic can be irksome too since there are boats thumping up and down there more suited to Monte Carlo harbour rather than Maidstone but a small price to pay for superb free sport.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Looking at it from another perspective:
As a former club runner regularly pushing myself to extremes in order to improve competitive racing times, I used run fairly regularly on Leeds & L/pool canal, on then relatively quiet areas around Skipton back in the 1980's. This might involve running flat out, say, between two timed marks, sometimes for anything between five and thirty minutes non stop. Other competitive runners I knew did likewise, often because roads were too busy, congested and dangerous. How do you think such runners feel if, after pushing themselves very hard for 15/20 minutes, and, timing themselves, realising that they are very near a personal best time for a particular session/route, they find their canal path blocked by angling gear?
Now 76 yrs old I still run, on forest and lowland hill trails, often still timing myself over favourite routes looking for good times to beat previous personal bests. My present bugbear are inconsiderate dog walkers whose un-leaded dogs run at me/jump up on me/ bark and chase me, while owners bleat, "Oh he won't bite you!" I've had shorts and tops torn, legs scratched, and on a couple of occasions bite marks. "He's only playing " doesn't repair torn £40 running tops!
Rant over for the day, 'cos I was chased by an alsatian this morning!
Dog walkers - leaning on an open door there, having an excited pooch bouncing over your rod/pole/whip whilst snuffling through and bowling over your bait containers :mad: