Bank Fraud

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I said a few years ago I wouldn't pee on NatWest if they were on fire - a recent issue where my missus is concerned and them just confirmed what I have maintained - do not touch them with a barge pole
way back, when I found myself pecuniary disadvantaged, my wages were paid directly into the Nat West

things got a bit tough, my outgoings exceeded my incomings (mortgage had jumped to 14% plus)

they took every chance they could to shaft me with charges

changed to the then Midland, now HSBC, far more understanding

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
My experience of various financial institutions is that if you're coining it they're all over you like a rash - yes sir, no sir how can we help you sir.
But when you hit a slightly rocky patch they instantly become like vultures on a corpse.

I currently bank with Nationwide. So far they've been pretty good.

davylad

Site Supporter
I use mobile banking and check my account daily, being very wary of fraudsters since a friend had been caught out.

Yesterday I noticed a card payment of only £4.84 off my account which I did not recognise. I contacted my banks fraud department as soon as it opened to have the payment checked. My card was immediately cancelled and a new one should be with me by Monday. Luckily I keep a small amount of cash in the house and the wife has her card handy.

The charge was returned to my account within 24 hours and it appears that when the fraudsters have a go at an account they take a small amount in the first instance and if that is not noticed they then go in for more money.

To be on the safe side check your accounts daily and always know what is due to leave your account.
I'd be more worried about how they got to your account Geoff, do you know?

John Step

Site Supporter
I never use my debit card for on line purchases. I use Paypal where possible which is linked to a credit card from a different supplier than my bank.
It has a small credit limit.
That way should anything happen I can argue it out with the card supplier and there is no link for any deficit to be deducted from my current account.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I'm with the Nationwide and their security seems pretty good - the two step login procedure involves a unique number and then a second code generated either via a card reader or a text message.
I transferred £5k to my stepsons account a couple of years ago as part of his house deposit and called my local branch before doing so - it went through without a hitch. He's with the Halifax and when he attempted to pay me half the money back last year they refused the payment and froze his account until he contacted them.

Simon

davylad

Site Supporter
That's strange, I've recently moved quite a lot of money from Halifax accounts, to Lloyds accounts, without a hitch. The extra security text could be a pain, if you have no access to your mobile for some reason, but that's hardly ever I suppose.