Banded pellet on pole - at what depth?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Just a quicky (ooh err missus).

When fishing banded pellet on the pole (band is in a hair loop) is it best to fish at dead depth, a few inches over depth or slightly off bottom ?

I’m guessing the last option risks foul hooking.

Ta muchly

Karl

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Ask the fish.

Seriously each day can be different as fish can and do change their preferences. I will normally try and fish as close to dead depth as I can manage to start with but be prepared to adjust depending on bites.

Of course up in the water with hard pellet you are off the deck.

Foul hooking can occur whatever depth you fish.

tysontim

Site Supporter
Depends on how they want it on the day TBH, I always set up a few rigs from dead depth up to 12in sometimes as shallow as 6in and start at dead depth and feel my way in by looking for any signs of fish coming up in the water.
You will know by the way your rig behaves where they are, etc if its moving around a lot and you missing bites try shallowing up until you get the more positive bites.
If you dont have spare kits for different rigs try feeding then lower your rig in directly over your feed until you get a take noticing how deep your rig was when you got the bite then shallow up to suit.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I think Taff uses rod & line though, which will be more difficult to be as precise when plumbing.
On the pole you would normally plumb to the base of the float body, giving a slight curve to the rig in the water (according to videos from Jamie Hughes etc)

scuttster

Site Supporter
I think Taff uses rod & line though, which will be more difficult to be as precise when plumbing.
On the pole you would normally plumb to the base of the float body, giving a slight curve to the rig in the water (according to videos from Jamie Hughes etc)
Taff joined the dark side this week!!

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Caveat: Novice

I plumb up to the middle of the float, which I think is about right for dead depth given the stretch on the line due to the plummet. Start from there, try to read the peg and adjust if necessary. If there’s a tow maybe go an inch or two over depth to try to counteract it.

SUFC

On commercial fisheries, I normally fish at dead depth. However, depending on the venue, this means I will catch at least half a dozen nuisance crayfish, so I will then fish under depth.

OldTaff

Site Supporter

I’ve gone to the dark side - used a proper pole for the first time yesterday and it was a success - looking to avoid glaring errors

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Depends on conditions. Perfect conditions on a flat bottom, dead depth to 1in over. A good breeze 1-2ins over switching to an 8mm pellet if it's blowing and presentation is difficult.

On slopes and shelves 2ins over with the rig pulled back slightly and tight short line to ensure bait is on the bottom.