Banded casters, and peg etiquette….

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
Couple of questions arose from my session today:

1) Trying to band casters for shallow fishing. Using a banding tool thingumebob, kept squishing the caster, is there an easier way of banding them? Lost a fair bit of time so would like to speed things up for Sunday’s match.

2) Fishing the mudline across, (snake lake at 14.5m), kept hooking fish which then went sideways into the next peg. Not an issue today but on Sunday all pegs will be in. Stronger elastic to try to control the fish within my peg? Or just keep apologising and do the best I can ? (Was using 13 Dura Slip)

Thanks in advance 👍

Stewie

Total

Site Supporter
@Stewie74 ....
1. I presume your referring to your session at Rookery today?:unsure:.....Banded caster, use the Preston medium bands, and gently push/roll caster in....No need for Guru pliers or banding tool etc

2. Step up your elastic size or tighten your 13 Dura slip up....You wouldn't want other peoples fish ploughing through your swim....(y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@Stewie74 ....
1. I presume your referring to your session at Rookery today?:unsure:.....Banded caster, use the Preston medium bands, and gently push/roll caster in....No need for Guru pliers or banding tool etc

2. Step up your elastic size or tighten your 13 Dura slip up....You wouldn't want other peoples fish ploughing through your swim....(y)

Attachments

• 26E5085E-5020-43B4-B86B-59C8365FA69E.png
    26E5085E-5020-43B4-B86B-59C8365FA69E.png
    896.2 KB · Views: 12

Stewie74

Site Supporter
@Stewie74 ....

Yep, Rookery waters today.

As I haven’t mastered tying my own hooklengths, I’m limited to pre-tied. The ones I was using today were Matrix MCX3. I’ve got some Guru banded hooklengths which look like they’ve got slightly bigger bands, I’ll give them a try on Sunday.

I’ll also up the elastic, I’ve got a few topkits with 15 Dura slip👍

Total

Site Supporter

As I haven’t mastered tying my own hooklengths, I’m limited to pre-tied. The ones I was using today were Matrix MCX3. I’ve got some Guru banded hooklengths which look like they’ve got slightly bigger bands, I’ll give them a try on Sunday.

Chances are Rookery will fish very different on Sunday, especially with most pegs in, it usually does....(y)....The few matches I've fished on there, it's usually early and late catching periods and the fish you do catch go like stink....So generally upping your gear/elastics ain't a bad thing....No prizes for lost fish etc...

May I respectfully suggest you make tying your own hook lengths a priority/skill as your present situation is undoubtedly costing you time, fish and results...etc etc;)(y)

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Chances are Rookery will fish very different on Sunday, especially with most pegs in, it usually does....(y)....The few matches I've fished on there, it's usually early and late catching periods and the fish you do catch go like stink....So generally upping your gear/elastics ain't a bad thing....No prizes for lost fish etc...

May I respectfully suggest you make tying your own hook lengths a priority/skill as your present situation is undoubtedly costing you time, fish and results...etc etc;)(y)
Yep, there’s a lot of ghost carp and generally angry fish in the lakes at Rookery. Cracking fishery though, very well run, a great tackle shop and awesome sausage sandwiches😂😂

Agree, I need to get my head around tying hooklengths, as I’m restricted to the hook size and line diameter that is available from the manufacturers. I’ve played around with it in the past but was never 100% confident that I was doing it right so have gone with the easy option….

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Yep, there’s a lot of ghost carp and generally angry fish in the lakes at Rookery. Cracking fishery though, very well run, a great tackle shop and awesome sausage sandwiches😂😂

Agree, I need to get my head around tying hooklengths, as I’m restricted to the hook size and line diameter that is available from the manufacturers. I’ve played around with it in the past but was never 100% confident that I was doing it right so have gone with the easy option….
Buy some sea hooks, cheap aberdeens in size one and practice with old line

endpeg

Makes it harder for small fish to burst it when shallow fishing.
Makes a massive difference.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter

The shop at Rookery sells ready-tied Guru hooklengths with microbands on. I used trhese at Rookery a week or two ago, and had no trouble banding my casters. A good tip is to us a floating caster, or a very dark one, as their shells tend to be harder.