Band Size

TonyA

Site Supporter
Is there an optimum band size v pellet size on a hair rig?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
As above and the tighter they are they cut into the wet Pellet and are better Disguised.

TonyA

Site Supporter
Thanks Guys, that makes sense and, I suppose, the micros are lighter too, giving more natural movement to the bait.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I use micro bands for everything, they’ll do from 4mm to 11mm pellets, OK for meat, worms, bunches of maggots, single maggot, caster, corn, pretty versatile really.....
Any particular brand ? Been using Gardner ones, but unsure if they are any better than cheaper ones.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Any particular brand ? Been using Gardner ones, but unsure if they are any better than cheaper ones.
I use Drennan, can’t fault them. I did buy a few hundred off eBay - recommended on here - and they went in the bin, they were disintegrating during a match. The cost is pretty irrelevant, they aren’t expensive.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I prefer Gardner 3.2mm but be careful where you buy them as I bought some from the bay once and they weren't a patch on the shop bought ones. Not sure if they were seconds or not, but came in the Gardner tube and packaging

johng19

me@home.com
I use micro bands for everything, they’ll do from 4mm to 11mm pellets, OK for meat, worms, bunches of maggots, single maggot, caster, corn, pretty versatile really.....
Nothing worse for me than a band half the size of the pellet.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Just taken delivery of a thousand red micro bands on eBay from China, 3.99 including postage from China , and they are brilliant , super micro size for red 4mm pellets. I’ve used their normal colour ones all summer and can’t fault them.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I never fish on the drop.
You miss a lot of fish, all species feed off the bottom at times. Some commercials are so silty the fish don’t want to be down in it, it’s not pleasant stuff, so they are easier to catch on the drop or off bottom. On many silty venues, the skimmers sit off bottom and follow a bait down, often the best fish come just as the float is settling. By not fishing a rig that drops slowly through the water, these weight builders can be missed.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Won my match today fishing on the deck.

You are possibly correct but I have enough decisions to make without adding to my confusion by including how deep. I know how I fish best.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Won my match today fishing on the deck.

You are possibly correct but I have enough decisions to make without adding to my confusion by including how deep. I know how I fish best.
You can fish on the drop and on the deck, just have an extra rig set up with just 3 or 4 No11’s spread out, so you get the slow drop (lay it in rather than lower it) it’s worth a go, some days you will catch fish on this type of rig when you struggle for bites on a standard bulk and droppers. Plumb it up at depth and you’ll cover all depths by laying it in.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
If using pellets, I prefer to use a band slightly smaller than the pellet i am using. If i use a micro band with a big pellet, it tends to slice the pellet in half as the pellet absorbs water and expands, and this means you need to change the bait more often.