kettle
Twin tub
Tv
Iron

toast was done on grill
Open fire.
windy alarm clock.
no phones or tablets or pc
Must be 20% at the most compared to today.
about 10 items using my WiFi atm.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thinking back to my youth
What used electric in your house.
kettle
Twin tub
Tv
Iron

toast was done on grill
Open fire.
windy alarm clock.
no phones or tablets or pc
Must be 20% at the most compared to today.
about 10 items using my WiFi atm.
I read an article in an electrical trade magazine some time ago that the government were thinking that with the onset of low wattage LED usage in our homes the electrical infrastructure in our country would in the near future be able to cope with the extra demand that vehicle charging from our homes would impact. 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Oh that did make me laugh. Talk about the blind leading the blind. If we carry on down the road of sticking our heads in the sand like this you won’t be able to boil a kettle soon due to the unprecedented volt drop on our supply cables. Rocket science it ain’t.

Maybe Arch ( electrical supply engineer ) would like to give his views on this subject.

satinet

Site Supporter
Bet me to it. As an electrical engineer I’ll tell you now … for this to happen in 20 years we should have been digging up roads and laying larger cables in to accommodate the use of battery vehicles some 30 years ago. Don’t panic peeps. It ain’t going to happen. 🤣🤣
They cancelled that replacement nuclear power plant on Angelsea as well. As an example.

Better batteries are all well and good but as pointed out above fast charging requires huge amounts of current that the infrastructure doesn't support.

Not heard a peep about how all this is going to be achieved it where the jungle juice is actually going to get generated.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
At the moment there is no ban on the sale of new diesel trucks by 2040, the story stems from an article on advice from The National Infrastructure Commission (NIC), so no need to get knickers in a twist just yet!!!!

They provide the government with advice regarding long-term challenges, and published a report saying that Whitehall must come up with a “comprehensive cross-modal freight strategy” that ensured the sale of new diesel heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) would be phased out completely by 2040.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
with trains it will require the full electrification of all the network and the abandonment of diesel electric, doubling and trebleing the power requirement of the railways, plus more costs for the infrastructure

add to that, the rest of public transport, and the amount of electricity required by road going commercials vehicles

then we get to the plebs, whose new homes are soon to be all electric, notwithstanding the current housing stocks power demands, add to that commercial supply for shops, lighting, manufacturing usage and suchlike

where is all this generated electricity going to come from ?, the power network is almost at full capability at this moment of time, let alone with the significant demand that going greener will require

build new generating stations ?, what will you power those with, as gas as well as oil and coal as a medium is also a major carbon producer, more nuclear ?, how long does it take to construct those

so your left with solar or wind generation, how big will these need to be, they are springing up all over the place and still only produce a small percentage of the public requirement and cannot be relied on as a permanent source, and there are so many NIMBY planning rejections as to thier situating

so we are left with educating the public with getting them to reduce thier usage, will you give up your personal transport and start using public transport or dare I say it actually walking, stop using all the labour saving and electrical pastime items, will you turn things off rather than on standbye, streetlamps, lights and power on in places that are shut, advertising signs, etc etc etc, I dont think so, everything new for the last 50 odd years has required electrical power, this present generation would have no idea of what the 60's and 70's survivors used to do without all the modern devices and do such things as the washing up by hand or using a broom

things and habits will have to change, and thats a recipe for a shitstorm of protest, Im glad that Im getting old and in reality have only a short time left on the planet, times are a changing, will the population realise it in time, that Im not so sure of
Currently there's a nimby row going on somewhere on the south coast about a sub-station to handle a cross channel electroshitty cable bringing in electroshitty from France. (There's another one adjacent to the M2).
So, to sum up. Idiot and naive government here are closing down reliable power stations whilst importing nuclear generated power from France whilst telling us that windmills and solar panels are the way forwards.
****s!

Chervil

Site Supporter
I fully understand that we need to move forward and you have to remember that the EU have similar plans, so I'm assuming that any HGVs driving over to the EU will also have to fit into their timeframe for electrification.

This is an interesting report from 2018, these paragraphs did stand out.

4. Charging requirements and its impact on the grid and electricity generation

Total energy demand The total energy demand of a fleet of BETs in the EU is an important metric for anticipating generation requirements. As will be discussed in this section, it will depend on charging strategies that are employed by the haulier. As a point of comparison, the average annual electricity consumption of a household in the EU is 3.5 MWh , implying a single truck charge of 1 MWh would be the equivalent to under a third of 25 the annual consumption of an average house, or for the BYD truck, around 6% of an average houses. In terms of power, 3.5 MWh spread over the year is 0.4 kW; assuming fast charging with a 1 MW connection, the battery electric truck would draw as much power as 2500 houses. This can be compared to a recent article from the Financial Times that reported a long-haul electric truck requiring the electricity of 3000 to 4000 average UK houses per truck charge.

With a full fleet of electric vehicles on the road, the question often arises as to whether or not the EU grid and generation capacity could cope with the new demand. To get an order of magnitude appreciation of the total electricity required to charge a European fleet of long haul BETs, the energy consumption per truck (1.44 kWh/km, noting that this from the less aerodynamic heavy duty truck travelling at 90 km/h) can be combined with the number of trucks in the EU (4.5 million) with calculated average mileage (50 000 km/year, covering all truck sizes and ages [15]). This would equate to 324 TWh, or just over 10% of EU generation in 2015 which was 3000 TWh . For comparison Bitcoin estimated global annual 27 energy consumption is 45 TWh as of end of January, or 0.2% of world consumption.

The EU executive has set a target of building one million public recharging points by 2025 across the EU, with three million by 2030.

Environmentally, heavy-duty vehicles are responsible for around a quarter of carbon emissions from road transport, or some 6% of total EU emissions, according to European Commission statistics.

A switch to electric freight vehicles, which generate no emissions if powered by renewable energy, would help to cut this figure, putting Europe on track to meet its carbon neutrality target by 2050.

The European Commission’s strategy for sustainable and smart mobility, unveiled in December 2020, set an objective of having 80,000 zero-emission trucks on the road by 2030.

However, industry has warned that this figure is insufficient to meet the EU’s CO2 targets. The European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) has said at least 200,000 clean trucks will need to be on the road by 2030 to meet emissions goals.

ACEA estimates around 6.2 million medium and heavy commercial vehicles are currently in operation in the EU. Only 0.04% of these vehicles are zero emission.

Last edited:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Currently there's a nimby row going on somewhere on the south coast about a sub-station to handle a cross channel electroshitty cable bringing in electroshitty from France. (There's another one adjacent to the M2).
So, to sum up. Idiot and naive government here are closing down reliable power stations whilst importing nuclear generated power from France whilst telling us that windmills and solar panels are the way forwards.
****s!
We have been importing nuclear electricity from france for over 20 years

the cables come ashore in folkestone, go up country to the converter station at aldington (next to the M20) and then all over the grid

62tucker

Site Supporter
Just a thought as someone said technology will move in 20 years.
Could we not just improve what we have now with better engines. If I can get 60mpg out of a old Diesel engine surely in 20 years time that can be greatly improved and with near zero emissions.
And save billions on new power stations etc.
it’s about time we started using the seas as a power source. Tides come in and out twice a day most days without fail.
When I was at school we watched a programme on electric from waves in a swimming pool in science. Over 50 years ago and no further forward.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Was thinking about this thread whilst under a vehicle working, so we have to go carbon neutral so everyone in electric vehicles. Meanwhile the richest men on earth are developing space travel for holidays, shock news those aren’t electric.

So I’m summary if I’m rich enough I can carry on burning whatever decomposing dinosaurs I like and punch holes into the atmosphere, but as a mere pleb I must change everything.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Few more horse and traps around our way atm. Could be way forward.
or is there poo polluting the atmosphere as well

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
And the rich boys can carry on playing on their space rockets and traveling to space for 4min of zero gravity flying

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Its all our fault for leaving that little red light switched on in yer telly thats doing it... if we all turned off that little red light we'll be fine.... so we're told...😜🤣

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
You’re only jealous
I'll admit i am 😂😂

At the moment there is no ban on the sale of new diesel trucks by 2040, the story stems from an article on advice from The National Infrastructure Commission (NIC), so no need to get knickers in a twist just yet!!!!

Well, that will teach me not to believe the news channels or government ministers when they announce that the sale of new fossil fuelled cars will be banned by 2030 and lorries by 2040!

Screenshot_20210714-161510_Samsung Internet.jpg

And that's just the first page of results, i even checked that bastion of truth the never lie BBC and, although it is buried in an article about flying they also mentio the ban on new cars by 2030 and lorries by 2040!