Ban on petrol and diesel lorries

Trogg

the bouncer
Site Supporter
From 2040 there will be a ban on the sale of petrol and diesel lorries.
Now i know it's hard to believe that this government have little to no idea about electric motors, Batteries and the 'more load more draw' on them but you'd think they would know electric cars are lucky to get 250 miles to a full charge.

How far is a fully loaded 40 foot lorry going to get?
The battery bank for trucks is going to be huge and is going to take a lot more than an hour to reach full charge so how much of a delay is there going to be on getting goods to retail places and delivered to the home?

2040 may sound a long way off but it isn't in reality it is only 19 years away!

62tucker

Site Supporter
£500 to fill a lorry up and government gets over half of that. How’s that shortfall going to be made up.
I remember a early trial on a electric car. 1 seat. Bare doors. Basically shell and engine.
But car company’s would do that nowadays to fiddle distances

Chervil

Site Supporter
Perhaps they should have held on to the rail network, rather than the destruction of it under beeching.
They are reopening one of the links that runs near me, Oxford to Cambridge. Although when it gets to my area, there does seem to be a lot of argument in the local paper, that some people don't want it near them, whilst others are concerned that if they move the station, that serves the line into London, it will kill their town, reduce house prices etc.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
We won't have the same battery tech in 2040 as we have now. Expect solid state and lithium Sulphur batteries which are far lighter, faster charging and more energy dense.

Robwooly

They are going to have to be instant charging as most people now don't have driveways, these charging points will pop up everywhere and will also be eyesores at car parks in scenic areas and at the coast yet there still won't be enough to cover the rapid turnover petrol stations do in regards cars fueled per hour.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I remember taking part in trials of the very first mobile phone technology in England. The handset was the size of a house brick, conected by wire to a battery which was carried separately in a briefcase and lasted a matter of hours.

Technology moves on at a pace when the need arises.

Robwooly

Technology only moves at a real pace if it has potential military uses or in times of war. These deadlines they set for being carbon neutral, diesel and petrol free etc are political soundbites to get the green vote most the time. 19 years is really short time to roll this out, too short surely

chris1967

Site Supporter
Thing is i work for them testing trucks and what makes me wonder is when they parked up overnight at the services say 100 trucks all on charge ,how are they going to control the draw on leccy for 100 electric trucks each motorway services will need it's own sub station

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
with trains it will require the full electrification of all the network and the abandonment of diesel electric, doubling and trebleing the power requirement of the railways, plus more costs for the infrastructure

add to that, the rest of public transport, and the amount of electricity required by road going commercials vehicles

then we get to the plebs, whose new homes are soon to be all electric, notwithstanding the current housing stocks power demands, add to that commercial supply for shops, lighting, manufacturing usage and suchlike

where is all this generated electricity going to come from ?, the power network is almost at full capability at this moment of time, let alone with the significant demand that going greener will require

build new generating stations ?, what will you power those with, as gas as well as oil and coal as a medium is also a major carbon producer, more nuclear ?, how long does it take to construct those

so your left with solar or wind generation, how big will these need to be, they are springing up all over the place and still only produce a small percentage of the public requirement and cannot be relied on as a permanent source, and there are so many NIMBY planning rejections as to thier situating

so we are left with educating the public with getting them to reduce thier usage, will you give up your personal transport and start using public transport or dare I say it actually walking, stop using all the labour saving and electrical pastime items, will you turn things off rather than on standbye, streetlamps, lights and power on in places that are shut, advertising signs, etc etc etc, I dont think so, everything new for the last 50 odd years has required electrical power, this present generation would have no idea of what the 60's and 70's survivors used to do without all the modern devices and do such things as the washing up by hand or using a broom

things and habits will have to change, and thats a recipe for a shitstorm of protest, Im glad that Im getting old and in reality have only a short time left on the planet, times are a changing, will the population realise it in time, that Im not so sure of

Last edited:

Robwooly

The government could easily make a rule that all new houses have to have solar panels as standard.

But it's much easier and much more lucrative to screw the motorist, sorry but we get shafted all the time as drivers lets face it, yet we take it every time and they know it.

satinet

The people who influence these things via the media etc are generally arts graduates who don't know the difference between AC and DC. They're just good at talking in the right place.

Anyone with even a perfunctory knowlt off electrical systems knows that you can't just switch everything to electric.

satinet

The government could easily make a rule that all new houses have to have solar panels as standard.

But it's much easier and much more lucrative to screw the motorist, sorry but we get shafted all the time as drivers lets face it, yet we take it every time and they know it.
The motorist is going to get screwed with road pricing (and associated satellite tracking).

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Hydrogen by then, possibly even conversions. The fossil fuel companies are starting to.panic. Once they diversify developmement of new technology will increase exponentially

62tucker

Site Supporter
Technology only moves at a real pace if it has potential military uses or in times of war. These deadlines they set for being carbon neutral, diesel and petrol free etc are political soundbites to get the green vote most the time. 19 years is really short time to roll this out, too short surely
Battery tanks 👍

62tucker

Site Supporter
I remember taking part in trials of the very first mobile phone technology in England. The handset was the size of a house brick, conected by wire to a battery which was carried separately in a briefcase and lasted a matter of hours.

Technology moves on at a pace when the need arises.
I remember having a tiny Nokia 7202 or was it 8050. Now phone is size of a house brick.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Just need a better electric grid to make it work.
Bet me to it. As an electrical engineer I’ll tell you now … for this to happen in 20 years we should have been digging up roads and laying larger cables in to accommodate the use of battery vehicles some 30 years ago. Don’t panic peeps. It ain’t going to happen. 🤣🤣