Balling it in for Bream

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How much is too much?

I've started fishing a Bream feeder venue, you don't need to prebait it as even though it's a big lake, there are plenty of Bream. I normally go for about 16 medium sized balls which works out to around 3/4 of a kilo of groundbait at an estimate, judging by what it takes up of my groundbait bucket. That's mixed with micropellets and sweetcorn.

I'm going to experiment by putting a lot more than that in, say 25 medium sized balls. Medium sized because I need to get them far enough with my groundbait catapult. I usually try to spread them over a 5 meter square area.

How does that sound? Any tips or advice? Also the first few times I've fished it I've only fished one line. If you was fishing two lines would you ball it in on both lines?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If you don't need to pre-bait, then putting that much in could have a reverse effect, in that the fish can scoff what they want, when they want and not bother about any hook baits. Personally I'd just rely on the groundbait in the feeder when casting. Little and often is better than bringing up the water level by a couple of foot.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was thinking that, and that I might experiment by not balling it in as well as trying by putting even more in. I have heard that Bream like a bed of bait to feed over and don't like it going in over their head though. It's just that with a big lake I like to think there's enough down there to hold a shoal in the peg and not having them swim off. Although one thing I've noticed is not many bites for the first couple of hours, not even from Skimmers. I mght go and watch a match or two there and see how it's done.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There was an article in the Angling Times a few weeks ago that said the key to big weights of Bream is getting them feeding on the bottom, especially in deep water, as this one is 20ft deep. I think I might change my Guru Distance Cage Feeder for an Open End feeder to make sure it's not coming out at mid depth.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
One other thing when fishing for bream. Dont keep your feed too tight. In my opinion just over a square metre is a good ball park figure. You can imagine, 4,5,6 - 5lb bream on the feed take some room up. No good trying to stack them all on a tanners worth of crumb.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Buy the biggest feeder you can find to introduce your feed. Spend the first few minutes of your session casting it in to the clip. Unless your g/Bait is perfect and your cattying skill spot on you risk spreading g/Bait over a large area with balls breaking up in mid air etc. If you have an old carp rod and reel use that and measuring sticks to get the correct distance on all your rods.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One other thing when fishing for bream. Dont keep your feed too tight. In my opinion just over a square metre is a good ball park figure. You can imagine, 4,5,6 - 5lb bream on the feed take some room up. No good trying to stack them all on a tanners worth of crumb.

I go for about 5m as no way am I that accurate with my casting anyway. Maybe I should try and get a bit tighter.

@Zerkalo .......Is the venue you mentioned above Patshull Park again?:unsure:

Yeah Patshull Park. Going to be fishing it again early next week, work permitting.

So far I haven't done bad there. Average about 40lb over the course of a full day. Which isn't really as good as I was hoping for considering the fish I have been catching have been 4lbers. I've had to wait for bites early in the day for it to pick up later with not many small fish showing. It's my goal to pull at least 100lb out of there.

Buy the biggest feeder you can find to introduce your feed. Spend the first few minutes of your session casting it in to the clip. Unless your g/Bait is perfect and your cattying skill spot on you risk spreading g/Bait over a large area with balls breaking up in mid air etc. If you have an old carp rod and reel use that and measuring sticks to get the correct distance on all your rods.

Interesting. I'm probably more accurate with a catapult than I am with casting though. Got the groundbait mix down I think.

Wondering if 5m square is too big an area now though?!

johng19

me@home.com
If it is Patshull park, if you talking pole line, we use to put that and more in. Make hard as it is deep. Just to add to this didn't fish that far out.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If it is Patshull park, if you talking pole line, we use to put that and more in. Make hard as it is deep. Just to add to this didn't fish that far out.

Haven't tried a pole there yet. Something to consider but I need a new seatbox and platform first due to the steep banks so has just been feeder so far. I might try a short feeder line next week.

Been casting about 30 to 40m with the feeder.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I thought I'd like the post as it looks like a classic match angler I should know but don't. Makes sense now, Ivan Marks. :ROFLMAO: :)

:beer-toast1: