Balancing wafters

chrisdobb

What is the general opinion of balanced wafters.
It seems to me that a 8mm wafter will "lift" an average 16 of 14 hook, so do we just fish it like that and use the hook length as a tether or counterbalance it?
I have started using no 10 shot, immediately behind the hook and from what I can see this seems to mitigate the hook and the wafter does indeed waft.
My thinking is the fish are decending on the feeder and hoovering up the pellets so the wafter should also end up in fishes mouth!
What are others thoughts and observations regarding this.
Thanks.

davej1981

Never used them myself but alot of people test them in a box of water and trim the wafter to suit. May just be you need a bigger/heavier gauge hook if you dont want to trim

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
It needs to be balanced so the hook will lay on the bottom but very lightly. Enough so the bait should waft around freely around the hook.

The wafter shouldnt lift up the hook entirely, it's not a pop up.

Try using a metal bait screw.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Good question. Personally I’m still experimenting. I’ve tried guru MWG hooks in 16 and 18, LWG in 16 and 18 and the LWG seem to have the edge. I’ve only swapped and changed on half a dozen sessions but, I have seen a slight improvement on catch rate. Still too early to say though just yet.

Silver fan 82

As has been said a good idea is to test it in the sink with a suitable size hook to match the bait. Try different size shot near the hook if needed until your hook is laying just on bottom. I've trimmed wafters down before to get it right.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
As has been said a good idea is to test it in the sink with a suitable size hook to match the bait. Try different size shot near the hook if needed until your hook is laying just on bottom. I've trimmed wafters down before to get it right.
Yep. Me too. Tried them in the margins. But then doubt starts to set in as to exactly what is happening out there in my swim where undertow could be present. 🤷‍♂️ Last week I was experimenting with some new micros I fancied using on the method. So, I soaked them, got them nice and spongy, put them on a Preston method using a mould and on a piece of line I ‘ dunked ‘ them into my garden pond just to see how they reacted / came off the feeder. Before I’d chance to witness what was happening one of my larger carp came up virtually swallowed the whole of the feeder plus micros and off it went at 100 mph. 🙄. I tried it a few times but, every time one of my larger carp came close I had to pull the feeder out or they would have swallowed the feeder again.

Silver fan 82

Yep. Me too. Tried them in the margins. But then doubt starts to set in as to exactly what is happening out there in my swim where undertow could be present. 🤷‍♂️ Last week I was experimenting with some new micros I fancied using on the method. So, I soaked them, got them nice and spongy, put them on a Preston method using a mould and on a piece of line I ‘ dunked ‘ them into my garden pond just to see how they reacted / came off the feeder. Before I’d chance to witness what was happening one of my larger carp came up virtually swallowed the whole of the feeder plus micros and off it went at 100 mph. 🙄. I tried it a few times but, every time one of my larger carp came close I had to pull the feeder out or they would have swallowed the feeder again.
Try it in the bath mate?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Fill the bath with water and put the rig and wafter in the bath so your fish don't keep getting to it? Lol!
With or without a dash of Radox ? 🤣🤣. I have a little fish tank somewhere I used to use for things like this. Will the missus not get annoyed when she steps into her bath tonight only to find a pint of Ringers micro’s stuck to her arse ? 🤣🤣👍

Total

Site Supporter
What is the general opinion of balanced wafters.
It seems to me that a 8mm wafter will "lift" an average 16 of 14 hook, so do we just fish it like that and use the hook length as a tether or counterbalance it?
I have started using no 10 shot, immediately behind the hook and from what I can see this seems to mitigate the hook and the wafter does indeed waft.
My thinking is the fish are decending on the feeder and hoovering up the pellets so the wafter should also end up in fishes mouth!
What are others thoughts and observations regarding this.
Thanks.
Use a bigger hook....Saves sodding about with adding shot on hair/hook length....;)(y).....You can thank me later....:love::ROFLMAO: