baits for barbel

Status
Not open for further replies.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
going to be trying for a barbel or two this season, whats the best baits and rigs.
thanks,

teepee.

Polepot

Poles
Teepee,

It is a number of years since I fished the severn for barbel but in those days a cube of meat was the most effective, or a large bunch of maggots. This was fished on a standard feeder rig. The steach I used to fish was the town streach in Bridgenorth, just down from the old bridge on the eastern bank. Walk down till you see the new river bridge and that's where we used to find large heads of barbel.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

n/a3

deleted
i use strawberry meat very large at night up to 1/4 tin on hair rig . in day time size of 5 pence coin also meat balls on hair up to 3 a time .corn also catches when sometimes meat will not be touched . carp pellets into a paste works well

j willson

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi everready and welcome!

Like the info, but where do you fish ?
The river will do, but any further location helpful

I have club tickets for the Trent,Derwent and Dove, mostly South of Nottingham

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

darryl

you could try a big lob worm free lined or even cheese paste one over looked bait but i`ve scored on it is mussels............darryl

work`s for them who can`t fish

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
thanks for the replys,
what size lines and hook length [lbs. b/s]?
does any of you use braid for hook links,?
is it best to hair rig.?

going to try the trent at collingham, anyone no any peg No.s that are known to hold barbel ?
straight lead or feeder.?

Darryl, are those mussels cooked like you get in a jar or raw ?

once again thanks for the replys

teepee.

darryl

raw 8lb main line 4lb hook length collingham has got a good head of barbel ask localy but has a rule if a peg holds chub it holds barbel.........darryl

work`s for them who can`t fish

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
These methods work for me on the severn. I tend to use flavoured dyed corn in the day searching the swim with a rolling leger.

I prefer to fish into darkness so I look for a comparatively deep swim down the near bank preferably going under a tree. Starting about 3 hours before fishing the swim, I pre bait with hemp and corn chopped meat etc. Up to 4 pints are introduced in 2/3 baiting sessions prior to fishing over it. A bait dropper is used to concentrate the feed no further out than the length of the rod.

The bait is normally flavoured meat in big chunks. I cut the meat in to strips and then tear off a piece for bait. I hair rig this to a size 6 wide gape hook.

As this is a very short range type of fishing I use nylon mainline in 8lb bs with a dacron hook length of 8lb bs the hair "no knotted to the hook".

As a precaution cos most bites at night tend to be smash takes hold the rod at all times, or as I do use a bait runner reel for those occasions when you need to relax for a ciggie or a drink etc.

Infact I have tried watching a bobbin and using the bait runner to show bites, and yes it does work if the baitrunner clutch is set for the flow of the river.

The flavours used are from the Archie braddock range of liquid flavours applied before freezing the meat.

Worms are a good bait when I say worms I mean big lobworms and 2 at least on the size 6 hook. Eel's will be a problem at night.

As far as maggots are concerned yes a good bait, but I want Barbel and chub so I tend to avoid these. John

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Tony,
There are 2 access points at Collingham and the best reprts I have over Barbel fishing are for the south stretch towards Cromwell Lock.
Here, a lot of carp boys catch barbel on boilies!!!
The local butcher, Nicholson ,in the main street ia a great contact. 01636 892280.
He is also a great chub bait supplier!
He sells 'match packs' (enough for a 5 hour match) of mince feed and frying steak for the hook for stick float or feeder fishing!
The barbel are also being caught on this!
I fished this in Jan on peg 228, north side, a wade out stick peg opposite the mill.
Thats when I posted that I caught for a 1st, a flounder!(Collingham is Tidal)
Ask for J.Nicholson if you phone (Father)
This is a wide stretch (S.Side) and like daz says, 4lb lowest line strength possible and all braid would likely smash off, so I'd tend to fish heavier, or with a long shock leader.
Might even join you!
Cheers

Trev

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
thanks esox for the info, it will be day/light fishing for me,

cheers Trev, regards the braid i meant just for hook length, iv'e got some cryston merlin what iv'e used for carping and wondered if it is ok, or is better to use mono for hook length.? i'll use mono for main line,

cheers.. thumbsup.gif

p.s. Trev i'll let you no when i'm going ,sure we can arrange something.

teepee.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Braid Hook length will be fine!

Better presentation!

Dependant on flow, (tidal) you can get a big bow on the feeder main line, but because the bites are real sailaways normally, it acts as a good shock absorber!

Look forward to your dates, I cant get anyway near Trent until July!
Ireland from 15th June 'til 30th, so perhaps you'll have sussed it by then!

Talking Cormorants up that way!

CYA

Trev

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
cheers Trev i'll mail you after your Ireland trip.
talking cormorants eh!icon_smile_big.gif

teepee.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Although I use dacron as a hook length, I had previously used a couple of Krystons braid. These were left over from my carp fishing days. I found them to be too supple, and this led to some tangling of the hook length around the main line. I also ensure that I do have a couple of nylon hook lengths ready tied in my rig bin, for use in faster water.

chill out go fishing

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
esox thanks for the advice about the braid and tangling, iv'e another one of kryston braids that has a coating on to stiffen it up and you just bare the last couple of inches so you can tie the hair & supple for the pick up of bait, do you think that would be any good? do you use the high tech. nylon for your hook links,?
cheers.

teepee.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I have no experience of these coated braids so I cannot comment.

I use normal nylon for hook lengths.

The other thing I forgot to mention was regarding rigs. I use the traditional running leger attached via a link bead so I can easily change size of the lead. A leger stop is used to vary the hook length. trev tells me that leger stops wont work with braid main line. An alternative is the leger stop available from Enterprise tackle that attaches differently.( the ones I bought trev had off me to try) All in all keep it simple. Simple does work best of luck for the new season. ps. dont hesitate to email me if you feel the need John

chill out go fishing

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
cheers John, no doubt once i get going i'll need some advice so thanks for the offer.
all the best.

teepee.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Teepee,

My experiences of braid hooklengths when barbel fishing have always been tangles. The braid tends to twist too easily in the current.
I use a minimum 5lb bs line depending on the strength of the river. Slow moving ie Trent and Ouse (Yorkshire Ouse icon_smile.gif) 5, faster waters such as Wharfe and Swale 8lb straight through.
Baits usually luncheon meat but rather than the square chunk I use a piece of plastic overflow pipe as a punch. Push this into a 1inch thick slice and use a longshank hook generally size 8 pushed into the 'plug' of meat until the bend just shows at the other end. Here the obligatory blade of grass goes to keep it in place.
Rig wise a straight leger with a flattened bomb or sometimes a drennan type feeder with maggots.
Usually I leave 18 to 24 inches of hooklength before the legerstop which allows the barbel to 'feel' the bait without much resistance but when a bite occurs make sure you are holding the rod preferably with either a baitrunner or the drag backed off as the bites are savage icon_smile.gif

Dave

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Dave, nice one mate cant wait to get going now,roll on the new season, oh! and waiting for my new barbel rod to come, [Tri-cast 1 LBS. T/C] thumbsup.gif

teepee.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Dave, re using plastic pipe.... have you tried an apple corer this allows you to punch as many pieces as you want. Alternatively a piece of ally tubing cut like an apple corer allows different sizes to be cut. John

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi John,

The plastic pipe that I use is blunt on the punch end and cut at a 45 degrees on the other. When pushing through the meat it rends to 'tear' its way in rather than cutting which has the added advantage of leaving a rough surface to the plug of meat. When the luncheon meat is cast in what happens is that small parts of this surface break off and the grease in the meat is released adding an additional attractant.
It seems to work well compared to the smooth faces that a cut piece has. Te reason behind the 45 degree cut on the other end is it just makes life a little easier if you use it for hair rigging.

Try it and see icon_smile.gif, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.