Baiting UP feeder rods- any ideas ?

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Been pondering about and like the idea of a rod for baiting up only. I know Preston do a FEEDA Rod for such work but I want to keep it simple and shorter. Not purely for distance but general up to 50m. I know people use a "Carp Rod" of 3lb but what length. I would favour 9ft for usual short chucks of large loaded feeders for baiting up only, for feeder, bomb and maybe slider work. 12ft would be an overkill, 10ft would do but I like the idea of a little 9ftr to punch out feed when needed. Could you get away with 2.75lb test ? These rods can get the distance without being such long beasts. anything longer then 50m I would be using a 140gr 13ftr so no need for a distance feed rod.
Any thoughts please.
o' and what would you recommend as I know little of rods from the 'dark side"
martyn

PureGenius

Hi,
I use the same feeder rod as I'm going to fish with, running rig with a snap link, but made my own cage feeders with only a 10g strip of lead attached to aid retrieval, then your only really casting the weight of the feed.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Same as, feed with the rod you're going to fish with. That way you you get the distance without having to swap from one rod to another which may be a totally different test curve or a softer/stiffer action. You can get the accuracy better with using just the one rod.

Freesolo82

Some use a carp rod for there big bait up feeders some matches don't allow a bait up rod or have a feeder size rule and just use the same rod as they fish with, can take a while to put a bed of feed down though.

Simon R

Site Supporter
If I'm introducing a load of groundbait I'd be reaching for the Whopper Dropper - once the groundbait is mixed and balled up it's far quicker than any rod and also a lot easier to spread the feed a little - when using a clipped up rod it's all too easy to end up dropping every feeder load down the same hole which can prove to be counter productive.

Simon

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Thanks all so far, keep them coming all are relevant . maybe you will talk me out of this idea- who knows. BUT, Using one of those very large Preston baiting up feeders New Cage or Through types on the rod being used I think is asking for a "broken tip" they are too much. Having a short beefed up rod would enable me to bait up an area whatever the size, dinner plate to dinner table size. Casting a short rod a short distance is very accurate and made up with a feeding feeder on a snap swivel, its always there to reach for topping up. No need to unclip feeder rod change tip to stronger to cope OR feeder rod may not be capable because to fine i.e. 10ft Acolyte say. Anyway thanks for all. martyn

lliopp

Site Supporter
Why not use your heavy feeder rod to bait up the shorter swims?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Are we talking about baiting up heavily at this time of year?
It's the kiss of death at most large venues I fish?

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
No, obviously looking forward to warmer months- forward planning. Trouble with a heavy feeder rod is that with casting weight the length increases and short chucks with long rods are not as accurate as short rods short chuck. Also a little dedicated cheaper rod could be carried easier with no fear of damaging an expensive one. Those large bait ups when loaded are heavy.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t be without my bait up rod,, I use a 12ft carp rod and shimano baitrunner reel,, the set up cost less than £100,, 0.17 braid with a 12lb shock leader,, just a swivel on the end, ive used it all year.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Shorter distances up to around 30 meters in warmer months I bait up by hand, or use a pult. Otherwise I'd use the same rod I'm fishing with

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
With reference to the original poster... if you want a short rod capable of baiting up, then a 9 or 10' Dwarf in 3lb or go the whole hog and look at a second hand Dwarf Spod rod

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use a spomb on a 2.5 lb light carp rod. It will go 10 to 100 yds , just clip up !
The good thing with a spomb is l can put 3 small balls in it so l can bait up a little patch each chuck.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
To be really basic here, If all you are going to use the rod for is baiting up then I think any rod with a 3lb (or thereabouts) tc and some half decent wideish rings will do. Just use a decent sized reel with spool capacity for heavier line and a line clip. I have a 9ft Wychwood Extricator MLT rod which I used for stalking/ margins - that would do that job easily. The 10ft version will cast a 80g weight 100 mtrs. You can get a new one for around £50

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Thanks to all for replying. I do take what most of you say on board on the reasons for not needing as such. For the couple of you who do you seem to se the benefits. Those anglers in the press who show they use one do not go into much detail. Even Preston's Feeding Feeda Rod has little to no direct publicity. I suppose we are talking about a casting "stick" with a reel, tough enough to cope with the projectile weight and a casting ability to put it out there. There is no playing action involved only casting action and the retrieval of the large feeder. So, I suppose as long as the thing casts, does it accurately, does not break and retrieves - thats it ! There are no rules to this.
Thanks all again much appreciated. I will let you know how it goes.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I will say that if you are going to be feeding at distance a lot you really need a dedicated set of rod and reel , this will save on wear and tear on costly fishing tackle. Rods and reels for fish fishing is not up to the wear and tear caused by constant heavy duty work, also a spomb will do the work so much quicker.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Thanks to all for replying. I do take what most of you say on board on the reasons for not needing as such. For the couple of you who do you seem to se the benefits. Those anglers in the press who show they use one do not go into much detail. Even Preston's Feeding Feeda Rod has little to no direct publicity. I suppose we are talking about a casting "stick" with a reel, tough enough to cope with the projectile weight and a casting ability to put it out there. There is no playing action involved only casting action and the retrieval of the large feeder. So, I suppose as long as the thing casts, does it accurately, does not break and retrieves - thats it ! There are no rules to this.
Thanks all again much appreciated. I will let you know how it goes.
Good luck.