Baitcaster.

feldri

Site Supporter
Just packed my coarse gear away for the hibernation period and came across a rod I had bought around 3 years ago and never used. Fastened to it was a Daiwa baitcaster reel.
I'd forgotten I'd bought them, along with some wire traces and lures.
Never having used a baitcaster reel I was wondering if they were as hard to use as people say.
I'm thinking walking up and down the local cut looking for pike would keep me warmer than just sitting on a box, or waiting until march for my next session on the bank.
Any of you lads ever used one?
I've heard a lot of stories about horrendous birdsnests that can be a nightmare to untangle with cold fingers.
Thanks in advance for any tips.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Feldri,

Sorry, cant help you that much myself but, my dad does a bit of beachcasting with a multiplier. The trick is to slow your lead down just before it hits the water. You basically use your thumb as a brake. Theres some adjustments on most multiplier reels. These alter magnets on the reel which inturn help slow the drag ( I think thats what my dad told me ) My dad uses a leather thumb protector when hes using the multiplier but, I dont think you would need that to throw a spinner or plug. Good luck. ?

spittlebug

Hi, what model reel is it ? (mainly for size & what braking systems it as on it).
Plenty of vids on youtube.
First i found.

Start off finding dropping point of lure you have put on.
With more experience back it off, till just were spool don't move side to side.
Then as said get to use your thumb.
Everybody gets odd, at least small birds nest over time (normally when distracted etc).
You have spool brake (as above), plus centrifugal, magnetic or both of these.
Might have to use if getting problems.

Its when you get into doing Ultralight, BFS it gets very tricky to use one.

Bob

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The secret is to start off with mid range weights for your rod but chuck them a short to medium range until you get used to it with the braking system on full.
Then as you get used to the very different casting style gradually back the brakes off until you feel comfortable with it.
Use nylon to begin with and dont try and thumb the reel until the lure hits the surface which you always have to do, and a trip or two should have you confident with the set up.

feldri

Site Supporter
It's a Daiwa Megaforce 100THSL. Apparently, it's got a twitchin' bar, autocast, star drag and magforce-z, and spool tensioning. Oh, and a magforce anti-backlash control, whatever that may be. :confused: It's now loaded with 15lb line ready for the off. No rain forecast for tomorrow so going to give it a go.

mbuna_matt

try a few casts with a bomb in the back garden, that way you can sit in comfort if you do have a few miss casts, after a while its second nature and easier than say for example - a centre pin.

Carry a knot picker as well if you use braid and DO NOT wrap it round your fingers and try to pull knots out,

rudd

Site Supporter
There are many ways to slow down a multipliers or baitcaster depending on model.

Adjusting spool drop speed.
Centrifugal brakes
Magnets
Oil type in bearings.
Thumb

And yet on mine I have all options, tuned reel and still get a few ?

spittlebug

Hi, sure you will have some Fun, if nothing else.
Good Luck, Enjoy.

Bob

ps you will see alot of Pike Fisherman, use very heavy Braid, its to straighten Hooks out, get your lure back (especially if expensive), not leave lures in the swim.
Not to reel Pike in.
I use 0.36, 0.43 & just got some 0.46mm Powerpro Braid. Knot strenght of these are from 50 Lb to 100 Lb.
Plus Nickel Titanium Traces, from 45 to 100 Lb BS.

With braid, if lure gets stuck, find a branch etc, wrap braid around it & pull.
Lot better if really stuck, than hand or reel/ rod.
Braid is lethal.

Mono is generally underated.
Braid overrated.

Search Google for The Tackle Box Line Tests.

Last edited:

feldri

Site Supporter
I've got some Daiwa J-Braid x8, 0.20mm, 13.0kg which is 29lb. 300m spool. Would that be better than the 15lb mono I've just spooled up with?

spittlebug

Hi, a lot like J-Braid, i like 4 strand thou.

As said use mono till you feel OK, less expensive, if nothing else.
Find out how far you can cast with Lures your rod will chuck etc.
Then you will know how much braid you will need on reel, accounting for fish playing etc.

Bob