Baitcaster beginner braid or mono?

Gandad50

Hi all Im putting together a bait casting out fit for perch and small pike etc.

I have a lixada baitcast reel, and a WCKJT rod which appears to be a Shakespeare one.

Can anyone tell me which is better Mono or Braid. The maybe suggest a brand to buy please?

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
If your new to baitcasting reels I would go mono first until your used to casting with it as braid is too costly to be throwing away after any potential birds nest, but would move onto braid when ready as the feel is alot better.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I agree with Cap'n pugwash......stick with mono unless you really want to practice with braid, if you do i'd recommend you buy some of the cheaper braid off ebay to get used to it, watch the thickness though as sometimes it can wear the guide pretty quickly if it's to thick.

PAB

Site Supporter
I only use Braid but as a warning if you get caught up DONT just reel in as hard as you can or lean back on your rod it can ruin your rod and break your reel just wrap the line around a bank stick or something sold and pull against the snag with no tension on rod or reel it takes some getting used to but I find it worth it.