Bait-up feeders

corkycat

I know there is an earlier thread on this subject, but still seeking further advice, if I may.

For my Irish bream fishing I am thinking of changing from a spod to a bait-up feeder, which is something I have never used before. My thinking is that the latter will get the bait down to the exactly the same spot as my swimfeeder, whereas a spod landing on the surface can have a scattergun effect. However rather than use a different rod for the purpose I would much rather use my one feeder rod. That way, the clipped up line means that my bait-up feeder AND my swimfeeder will land on the same spot every time.

My question is this: would my rod and tip (Prestons Monster 13' with 1-2 oz tip) withstand the cast of a 30g Prestons bait-up feeder (filled, of course, with bait)?

Dusty

I know there is an earlier thread on this subject, but still seeking further advice, if I may.

For my Irish bream fishing I am thinking of changing from a spod to a bait-up feeder, which is something I have never used before. My thinking is that the latter will get the bait down to the exactly the same spot as my swimfeeder, whereas a spod landing on the surface can have a scattergun effect. However rather than use a different rod for the purpose I would much rather use my one feeder rod. That way, the clipped up line means that my bait-up feeder AND my swimfeeder will land on the same spot every time.

My question is this: would my rod and tip (Prestons Monster 13' with 1-2 oz tip) withstand the cast of a 30g Prestons bait-up feeder (filled, of course, with bait)?

Could you not use a large feeder on a carp rod or spod rod and then just use marker sticks or similar to clip up to the same distance?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not sure about this but I had heard or read on here that tip weight means very little to how much a rod can cast. 30g doesn't seem too heavy even when loaded with bait so I would have thought it would be ok.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Genuine questions.
What benefits are there for using a bait up feeder over a spod?
If you use the feeder then do you not have to move it to empty the bait out anyway?
Does any bait fall out when it falls through the water?
How many casts are needed to deliver all the feed you need?
Unless you can cast 100% on the money every time then you are still spreading the bait and for Bream then that's not a bad thing anyway is it?

corkycat

Genuine questions.
What benefits are there for using a bait up feeder over a spod?
If you use the feeder then do you not have to move it to empty the bait out anyway?
Does any bait fall out when it falls through the water?
How many casts are needed to deliver all the feed you need?
Unless you can cast 100% on the money every time then you are still spreading the bait and for Bream then that's not a bad thing anyway is it?
Thanks for your thoughts. To answer a couple of these; (and it may just be my perception, which could be wrong):

A spod will deposit the bait on the surface and then obviously sink to the bed. However if I cast a clipped-up feeder to the same spot, then the feeder will fall towards me as it sinks, thus landing short of my spodded bait. (There is a previous a thread on this issue, the consensus being that there will be little difference).

The Prestons bait-up feeder has no holes in the side and the blurb says it will not release any bait until it hits the bottom.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Anybody know the name of the venue in the video? If Darren said it, then l missed hearing it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The Prestons bait-up feeder has no holes in the side and the blurb says it will not release any bait until it hits the bottom.

Am thinking of trying these bait up feeders for that reason this Summer on my Bream lake. Alternative to several casts with a smaller feeder or as I usually do, balling it in with a Groudnbait Catapult lol.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I use a cheap 12ft 3lb test curve carp rod and cheap reel, it was £100 for the pair,, I chuck very large bait up feeders,, upto, 60mtrs with this set up,, any further and I switch to the largest 75gram window feeder,, I’ve hit 96mtrs with this set up,, ts not worth risking your good rods for doin this