Bait storage

CarpCatcher86

I used to use a selection of particles etc from dynamite baits, mainly I used to buy the big sweetie jar type containers. I stopped doing this and switched to the smaller tins after a shorter session which resulted in left over bait. Rather than throw it away, I read every inch of the containers and searched the internet trying to find out how long it could be stored for once opened. Freezing of course is one option, but does anyone actually know how long baits such as hempseed will keep unfrozen once the tin is opened? Possibly stored in an air tight container.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Always refreeze mine so can't help with keeping it unfrozen, but another option is to look for a cheap vac pack machine.

CarpCatcher86

I still have and use the drennan aqua boxes with the air tight lid. Handy for storing unused pellets if they happen to come in a bag that you can't re seal.
For a while I did try to make sure I bought such bait in smaller bags or tins to make sure I had no unused open bait left at the end of a session
I think I might just stick with the 700g tins of hemp which I buy from my local tackle shop for £3.35. A quick look on ebay shows the same tins being for anywhere from £4 to £8 which is a joke.
Sorry for time wasting guys.

aseadabite

I find that if you place the hemp in a sealable container and add plenty of salt it will last for a couple weeks. Salt is a preservative and fish like it.
I have used it like this and found fish will still take it.

grey

Site Supporter
The problems with storing wet natural baits is mould/bacteria and yeast.

Yeast leads to fermentation which is not always a bad thing, but does change the nature of the bait. smallest hint of mould/bacteria really can ruin a bait. Both are airborne, so once the jar is opened there's every chance the bait is at risk of being ruined after just a couple of days in the right conditions.

The challenge is to slow these two natural processes down: keeping the jar cool in the fridge should keep it fresh for up to 3 weeks. If you wish to keep longer, then add half a campden tablet (sodium metabisulphite used in homebrewing) before returning to cool storage - this will sterilise the bait against mould/bacteria indefinitely and will delay fermentation for a couple of months or more.

Sodium metabisulphite shouldn't affect the flavour/texture of the bait and is used elsewhere in the bait industry, so is fish safe.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
fermented hemp was a thing not long back

lots swore that it helped thier catch rates

CarpCatcher86

The problems with storing wet natural baits is mould/bacteria and yeast.

Yeast leads to fermentation which is not always a bad thing, but does change the nature of the bait. smallest hint of mould/bacteria really can ruin a bait. Both are airborne, so once the jar is opened there's every chance the bait is at risk of being ruined after just a couple of days in the right conditions.

The challenge is to slow these two natural processes down: keeping the jar cool in the fridge should keep it fresh for up to 3 weeks. If you wish to keep longer, then add half a campden tablet (sodium metabisulphite used in homebrewing) before returning to cool storage - this will sterilise the bait against mould/bacteria indefinitely and will delay fermentation for a couple of months or more.

Sodium metabisulphite shouldn't affect the flavour/texture of the bait and is used elsewhere in the bait industry, so is fish safe.
I always wondered how air tight those big jars from dynamite baits were. Surely not everyone who buys those big jars is going to use the whole thing in a day/session. So you would think the jars would seal well enough to facilitate the storage of any unused bait.
As for storing wet natural baits, is it not an option to let them dry out a little before storing and then re hydrate them later when you are ready to use them?

feldri

Site Supporter
I bought a big jar of pre-cooked hempseed. Took some out to take with me and put the jar in the fridge. A week later I opened the jar to take some more out and the stench that hit me nearly made me puke, the liquid had gone all slimy. Straight in the bin. Now either cook it myself and freeze or buy the small tins.

grey

Site Supporter
The jars are a good seal - they're food grade quality so should be air tight. However, bait provided in this manner is primarily designed to last a single session of up to 3 days.

Out of a newly opened jar, the bait is always consistent manufacturer intended. You can prolong the life of the bait various ways such as freezing, but it does have a varying effect on texture/taste - not always a bad thing, but difficult to replicate should you wish to use the same effect again.

Adding half a Camden tablet and keeping in the fridge is probably the best way of keeping the bait usable and as near to fresh as possible, and will stop the problem of slimy bait (caused by bacteria) as Feldri suffered.

Alternatively, you can put the unused bait in a saucepan after a session, add a little water, boil and put into a clean jar whilst hot and seal the jar - it'll stay good until the next time you open the jar. That's roughly what Dynamite does in the first place!

CarpCatcher86

The jars are a good seal - they're food grade quality so should be air tight. However, bait provided in this manner is primarily designed to last a single session of up to 3 days.

Out of a newly opened jar, the bait is always consistent manufacturer intended. You can prolong the life of the bait various ways such as freezing, but it does have a varying effect on texture/taste - not always a bad thing, but difficult to replicate should you wish to use the same effect again.

Adding half a Camden tablet and keeping in the fridge is probably the best way of keeping the bait usable and as near to fresh as possible, and will stop the problem of slimy bait (caused by bacteria) as Feldri suffered.

Alternatively, you can put the unused bait in a saucepan after a session, add a little water, boil and put into a clean jar whilst hot and seal the jar - it'll stay good until the next time you open the jar. That's roughly what Dynamite does in the first place!
So when dynamite baits claim that things like hemp are cooked in the container, meaning the container they are sold in, they are talking rubbish.
Hemp is cooked and transfered to either a tin or a jar while still hot.

grey

Site Supporter
Not really, if I remember rightly, Dynamite partially cook the hemp and transfer to continue cooking in the jar - a bit like the flask method if you've ever tried it: boil up hemp in a pan, simmer for 5 mins and transfer to a flask with quarter the water to continue cooking over night. It helps minimise the amount of liquid required meaning the hemp retains more flavour and oils.

CarpCatcher86

Not really, if I remember rightly, Dynamite partially cook the hemp and transfer to continue cooking in the jar - a bit like the flask method if you've ever tried it: boil up hemp in a pan, simmer for 5 mins and transfer to a flask with quarter the water to continue cooking over night. It helps minimise the amount of liquid required meaning the hemp retains more flavour and oils.
It makes sense, but why don't they just say partially cooked in the container?