bait restrictions ,dont blame the owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ada

brummie
on recently visiting a venue to fish a club match,on a water that I have fished many times before,I set my pole rigs for a plan of pellet and cat meat attack. on previous visits the pellet and cat meat had both produced nets close to 80 pounds.imagine my surprise when arriving at the water to see a sign stating "no pellets or cat food" good job i'd taken some meat and corn with me.on tackling up the baliff turned up and his reply to my complaint of "why ban the pellet and cat meat" his reply was "people were using 5 tins of meat and 3 pints of pellet in contests" the match was fished and weights were well down on previous visits and we wont book it again.this bait restriction was caused by anglers going overboard.I know some of the rules at fisheries are far too much but as anglers we also must take some of the blame.I also should have phoned to check the rules

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Ada,

A very good point and often the case especially with matches on enclosed waters. Once a winning method becomes known it can be exploited to the max with scant regard to the consequences.

At a fishery in Yorkshire the winning method was the floating pole fished close to the islands but the islands were a good 20m, if not more, away from the bank.
The regulars on the matches here developed a method of extending the poles using plastic pipe as used in plumbing which mean't that any length of pole was acheivable.
The rig was nothing more than 6-10lb line to doubled-up 20 elastic and 6-12 inches long to a hooked bait. The carp took the bait, hooked themselves and were then dragged in to the net. Consequently this method won on most occasions. The owners have since revamped the fishery.

Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Some of the bans make good sense. The two mentioned above for instance.

But some seem (to me anyway) more than a little strange.

For instance, I was looking thru the advertised fisheries in one of the UK angling magazines and in the part where they list the prohibited stuff I saw spinning (which I took to mean all sorts of lure fishing).

Are they afraid lost lures will liter the bottom or something?

Newt Vail

MALC

Must admit i'm 100% against bait bans.
But 100% for bait limits.

Newt,
Many of the commercial carp (match) pools in the UK ban any form of spinning/lure fishing as it's a regular occurance to foul hook carp whilst shotting up a float rig with a bare hook or plumbing the depth on the ledger and it cause's some fun when it happens prior to the start of a match.
Also the UK is as you know a lot more bait fishing than Spinning/lure fishing unlike in USA.
Also a lot of the pools over here are not stocked (legally) with Pike which are the main target (not forgetting perch/chub).

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
A pool i fish when ever i get the chance has just been enlarged & Jonh the owner has now banned pellets, boilies & ground bait & asks that any left over bait goes in the bin & not in the pool.

He found a thick black sludge on the bottom & got a bit worried as to what it was so he called in a fisheries expert who told him it was all the bait that hadn't been eaten.

As (i hope) Cyp will verify when to much goes in the fish can't eat it all & so it rots this sludge drains the water of life giving oxygen & so the fish suffer.

No don't blame the owners blame the arseholes who can't catch anything unless a few kilos of bait has gone in to help them & the sp called "stars" (idiots) who advocate using such large amounts.

(bit like Dave with his groundbait icon_smile_tongue.gif)

Alan
You've just been moderated

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Alan,

I have heard of that before.
Bollingey Lake several years ago had a fish kill wich was reportedly down to the amount of rotten bait on the bottom, something that especially the 'puddles' icon_smile.gif, could quite easily find happen.

As for my 500lbs, being a true Yorkshiremun I went in and took back what wasn't eaten - froze it for another day icon_smile_big.gif

lol, Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well that explains why i didn't get a decent carp whilst at Yateley then, they saw your butt uglyyyyy face looking for the uneaten bait n scarperd.

dave i never did ask you mate, did you put any Tench into those stupid little floating nets at Yateley??

I had a couple of nice little tincas but there was no way i was gonna put them in one of those things.

The bailiffs only checked them once in the three days i was there.

Oh n i'm going fishing on saturday so when i get a monster carp (well the pool holds carp to at least oooooooooooooo lets think ......10lb LOL) i'll get me kid brother to take a pic just to bloody prove i do catch every now n then .

Alan
You've just been moderated

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Alan,

No I didn't catch one just concentrated on the 20lb carp lol. Stu got a tench but his didn't go into the net as the guys who placed them there didn't come over very well when they tried to explain why they were there.

The photo will be worth the wait, lol. I've only been waiting a year icon_smile_tongue.gif

Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Malc - thank you for the "no spinning" explanation.

I can see where match angler's during a match might have a slight problem with lures. In fact, the thought of using a modern buzz bait (they now have a triple blade and a hanging piece of metal the blade will bang against as it rotates) to churn the surface during a match strikes me as a good way to get beaten up. LOL Wouldn't be shot since you folks have strict gun laws but likely would see the business end of a large stick.

FWIW - my guess is that with the proper lures you could get action from lots of fish other than the usual pike/zander. For instance, a soft plastic resembling a lobworm can be rigged and fished so it behaves exactly like a lob that has fallen into the water. If it also was heavily salt loaded (tastes like worm blood to the fish I think) with just a smidgen of the proper scent, I think you would be amazed at which fish would get themselves caught on the thing.

A Senko (looks like a worm or a ball point pen) rigged wacky (light hook right thru the center) and left on the bottom (they are heavy with salt & scent and sink without extra weight) will wriggle nicely if you simply shake your rod tip. Drives fish absolutely bonkers. Maybe a 3 inch if you are targeting small fish up to a 7 inch for bigguns.

Trev - are you paying attention here? John (esox)? Are there any other lure users on here?

Newt Vail

MALC

Newt,
Must admit since you and Trev started posting regards some of the small worm type lure's (jigs i think) i have been taking a bigger interest in them and may try some for pleasure sessions.

But in UK (NFA) match rules artifical baits are banned so it would get very limited use as most of my fishing these day's is either match or practice for matches.

But i've found your artical on Paylake's very interesting.

Malc

scott essery

'Silver man'
I agree with Malcs first post

If i pay 5 or 6 for a days fishing i dont want to be told i can or cant use certain baits. Where I live, i'm at a stage where I have to choose what fishery to go to if i want to practice a ertain method. thats crazy and bad for the sport.

Its far better and easier to monitor if limits are emposed and everyones a winner. the fishery doesnt get polluted, matches arent 'bought' and kids can aford to catch a lot of carp (2pts of pellets isnt much )

But I have a gripe with fisherys who insit on buying their own bait. Its bloody expensive and people are bound to flout the rules. Nameing no names it cost me 10.80 (4 sensas gold, 2 method mix, 1.20 micro pellets, 1.20 mini pellets, 1.20 paste and 1.20 for a lbs of 'groundbait') on top of the 6 day ticket to practice pellet and paste fishing and throwing a method feeder out to the island. To make it worse i caught bugger all :(

So lets start thinking a bit more about the angler and not how much you can extract from us! {:(}

MALC

Must admit that i agree with Scott regards Only bait bought at the fishiery rule can be a real rip off.
Take Cudmore (i'll name them Scott) only bait bought from them can be used and it's marked at a dearer price than most would pay.
But they are not alone in this and one that is even dearer than them is Packington as their pellets are 1 a bag which is only pint.

It's fair enougth for the fishery to say only use bait bought on site as they then have a good idea as to what is going into there water's but to be forced to pay over the odds just to feed their stock is in my opinion a bloody cheek and a rip off.

Scott,
So Tara was hard then.

Malc

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Newt, yes I do agree with what you say. The problem is one of tradition and custom. We have no history of using plastic baits till these last few years,and even then only for the few predators we have. The conservative attitude we seem to have makes it worse. Another big problem we have is the size of fisheries and the number of anglers fishing. Lure fishing to some is seen as anti social in that it disturbs the fishing for others, so the opportunities to practice these skills in the summer is restricted.

In very general terms the majority of our fish tend to shoal from a few in number (chub) to Hundreds (roach/bream)for example, this challenge to catch leads to using groundbait to attract and then keep them in the swim.

I hope this has gone some way in explaining some of the differences between the styles of the 2 countries. John

chill out go fishing

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I do blame the owners in MOST cases. They ban this ban that, except for the bait that they sell. Its all down to greed and money.

The majority of commercial carp puddles are small in size and vastly over stocked, anglers are packed in to maximise profits. If it wasnt for anglers bait these fish would starve.

I have only once fished a commercial fishery I hated it. Due to this as several people can confirm I refuse to fish these places. I do not object to others fishing as I believe in every one to their own. John

chill out go fishing

ada

brummie
have you noticed most of the bans on carp pools that the baits banned are usually the ones that catch the most fish,not only do owners rip us off in many ways they actually try to stop us catching fish which is the only reason we visit there mud puddles in the first place.....

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Thanks John. That explanation helped as did several of the others. One day I may get my head around UK angling. Sometimes I think I have and then I hit another of these "blind spots" of mine.

I am preparing a post now called "Lure Angling on the Cheap" to give some ideas for fishing soft plastics and you have shown me another area I need to speak to. Doing it from work so if things are slow, it should be ready soon. Otherwise, may be tomorrow.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.