Bait questions...

steve 56

I recon it was a crafty ploy by your dad and uncle to get some cheap bait 🤣 send a young lad in with only 50p and the bloke behind the counter will more than likely fill the bait tub up far more for that than an adult going in asking for a 1/2pt!!

The adult is already hooked. Get the youngster hooked and shopping in his shop from then on!
Personal experience from a certain mr wickham by any chance😁

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
It was written ten years before I started fishing ... aiming to get the freshest bait (ie. The turn on the Friday night for a Saturday match) .... so wouldn’t be far out.
with shrinkage of fish fed maggot and a few skins, I reckon my 3 to 2 ratio is more likely.
@Total ... my bad memory ... the Ivan book says 5 to 5.5 pints from a gallon of maggots.

similar quantities according to Benny Ashurst’s book

smiffy

Site Supporter
It seems a far cry from when we were first using chopped worm in the late 80s on the canal ... where 10 lobbies would last you two matches! we fished redworms over a single minced up lobby, and fished it out before refeeding.
Yes. One of Dickie Carr’s teabags would last all match.
It was a bit of an eye opener moving on to the broads and fens rivers/drains where the Bream shoals can munch through a whole lot of bait.

Total

Site Supporter
Yes. One of Dickie Carr’s teabags would last all match.
It was a bit of an eye opener moving on to the broads and fens rivers/drains where the Bream shoals can munch through a whole lot of bait.
Ward, It was prolly a tight/stocking bag ....back then.:LOL:...The quantities shocked me when I started to fish natural waters, especially ressy's:oops:

I fished with/against Mr Carr a few times at Stanborough Park and on the Paddington Arm of the GUC.....Fantastic company and he can fish a bit....(y)

Last edited:

smiffy

Site Supporter
Ward, It was prolly a tight/stocking bag ....back then.:LOL:...The quantities shocked me when I started to fish natural waters, especially ressy's:oops:

I fished with/against Mr Carr a few times at Stanborough Park and on the Paddington Arm of the GUC.....Fantastic company and he can fish a bit....(y)
Yes, it was a pair of tights. He can fish a bit and,,,,, he doesn’t keep any secrets. Always forthcoming with any info. All you had to do was ask. Ran into him on a ferry home from Dublin once and chatted to him for the whole journey. Fascinating insight into the thought processes of one of the country’s best anglers at that time.

Total

Site Supporter
Yes, it was a pair of tights. He can fish a bit and,,,,, he doesn’t keep any secrets. Always forthcoming with any info. All you had to do was ask. Ran into him on a ferry home from Dublin once and chatted to him for the whole journey. Fascinating insight into the thought processes of one of the country’s best anglers at that time.
Provided you could make head or tale of his 'Carrism's'...:D:ROFLMAO:.....Fantastic car ferry story....Ya lucky fella....;)(y)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Met him a few times but never fished with or against him, we called him ' 0o har dickie carr " ( not cantona ) always had a good point about a problem when asked. Really good bloke.

grey

Site Supporter
You can still try ordering 50p worth of maggots, it shouldn't take the assistant long to count them out for you.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I believe that the same apples with tackle and methods Dave.
There will be some anglers that will take everything they have and chop and change so regularly they never give the method/swim/bait a chance to work.
See it quite a bit on our pools and I will be building a couple of swims towards the middle ledge and the margin and once I start to catch on the one you can guarantee that some of the other anglers will abandon the swim they have been feeding and try to catch from the same areas that I have. (ledge/margin -and not my peg, but some do try- bloody wannabe Carpers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
They either start hammering the bait in or cast all over the swims trying to find the fish.
Its usually the "all the gear no idea" brigade and all they have to do is ask & watch.
Will help anyone if they are civil.
Spot on Lee, you see matchmen with a dozen or more top kits set up, if they wanted to try every one in a 5 hour match that equates to less than half an hour for each one. I can understand a couple of duplicate rigs in case of breakage but the extra kits are often packed away unused at the end. I’m not knocking any particular discipline but I often think we are our own worst enemies for over complicating things. It must be absolutely bewildering for a newcomer. Like you, I will help anyone, if they ask and are polite.