Bait questions...

JLK

1/4 pint in the shop I use.
Worth trying in yours if all you want is a few samples of say flouro maggot or pinkies for hookers.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I like the eat it idea haha. :LOL: If I froze it, next time I'd have used it would be next season now so not worth it. :(
Another one of the joys of carp fishing. Bacon grill fried in pan with eggs and add beans! 😋

The first fishery I'm going to try has parking directly behind the pegs. Might take my carp stove and start peddling Hotdogs out the back of my truck.

May cover the cost of my ticket and Bait... 🤔

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
1/4 pint in the shop I use.
Worth trying in yours if all you want is a few samples of say flouro maggot or pinkies for hookers.
I don't want to look like a Jeremy Kyle contestant asking for 50p worth if they don't do it like that anymore 😄

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Interesting that you would take squatts, pinkies and maggots for a session.

I used to loose feed squats and pinkies on the hook or loose feed pinkies and maggot on the hook - if it were a carp session I’d not bother and just take maggots then put deads in my groundbait or loose feed, with dead or live on the hook usually in bunches.

Good luck with your session, look forward to seeing a report.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Interesting that you would take squatts, pinkies and maggots for a session.

I used to loose feed squats and pinkies on the hook or loose feed pinkies and maggot on the hook - if it were a carp session I’d not bother and just take maggots then put deads in my groundbait or loose feed, with dead or live on the hook usually in bunches.

Good luck with your session, look forward to seeing a report.
I have only ever used maggots carp and course. Want to try pinkies and squats coarse fishing this year

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Only ever used squats on the canal and that was during winter sessions. You may be bleaked out on them in warmer months.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Get friendly with the shop staff and ask for a handful of hookers.

Molehill soil is a good additive as it contains worm juices etc and creates a good cloud. Ivan made a fair bit from it🤔

JLK

Make sure you get a nice fresh molehill. You don't want one that a dog might have peed on. 👍🏻

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Always wondered about the mole hill soil attractant concept and IMO I think the soil having worm juices,dna etc is a bit of a fisherman's urban legend.
How much "juice, dna" would have to be in soil for it to have any effect., soil already has a smell of its own and I can't see anything else overpowering that.
The reality is it is just the fact the soil clouds up the water a bit or provides a different shaded on the bottom - it's this what attracts the fish.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Always wondered about the mole hill soil attractant concept and IMO I think the soil having worm juices,dna etc is a bit of a fisherman's urban legend.
How much "juice, dna" would have to be in soil for it to have any effect., soil already has a smell of its own and I can't see anything else overpowering that.
The reality is it is just the fact the soil clouds up the water a bit or provides a different shaded on the bottom - it's this what attracts the fish.
How good is a fish’s sense of smell?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Would have to be incredible to pick up digested worms that have passed through a moles stomach acid or the secretions from a worm underground.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Lee Richards I don't use molehill for its smell, but it's weight and cloud and helps to breakdown groundbait more quickly, but leam is better for cloud. Molehill is free and from the same soil as the river so its no alian to the fish.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Same as my approach Fugley
I will cap an open end filled with chopped worm with mole hill soil as it riddles to a nice fine size.
Now and again when fishing to the shallows of an island I have done the same with compost and when the woody bits hit the surface you get a good cloud in the water.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Yea I can't seem to find the compost/peat without additives these days, and a worm molehill mudball for perch, sometimes perch just don't want groundbait.

@Corn Master its not a faff all you need is molehill and a riddle, when the river is 10+ft deep and you want your bait to get to the bottom and still in your own swim its invaluable.

Total

Site Supporter
Yea I can't seem to find the compost/peat without additives these days, and a worm molehill mudball for perch, sometimes perch just don't want groundbait. its not a faff all you need is molehill and a riddle, when the river is 10+ft deep and you want your bait to get to the bottom and still in your own swim its invaluable.
Mole hill soil can also be used as a bait carrier on its own....Coming up to worm fishing in about a month or so on the commercials...

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Total I'm sure it work the same on any fishery, I very rarely fish commercials so I've no experience or it.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Make sure you get a nice fresh molehill. You don't want one that a dog might have peed on. 👍🏻
Get it from a field, not the side of the road where according to some ,exhaust fumes can taint the soil.