Bait questions...

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
1. Can you still buy 50p worth of maggots?

When I was a youth my dad and uncle would take me on the canal for an hour or two after school. They would send me into the shop and I would ask for 50p worth of mixed maggots. That was around 20 yrs ago.
Don't want to get laughed at if I go ask in the tackle shop.😂

2. Will taking/ trying too many baits spoil the fishing?

When carp fishing I tend to have one sweet and one savoury flavour of boilie and stick with them all year. (I compliment them with matching pellets, groundbait, glugs) is it better to stick with a handful of baits or take everything?

3. Does mole mud add anything beneficial to groundbait or is it just because people are tight? Never heard of it until a few days ago. Seen a few do it on YouTube.

⚠️ I will probably have other questions...

Please don't roast me in the replies..... I already know I'm "differently abled" 🙄

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
1) Half a pint is the smallest amount you can buy near me.
2) Depends if you're feeding loads of lines or just trying different hookbaits. Back when I used to fish canal matches we'd often feed 4 different lines with different baits. I keep my fishing a lot simpler these days and usually go with a plan to keep the bill and wasted bait down.
3) Adds weight to the groundbait and some reckon it has nutrients too but to me it's more to change the consistency and weight.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
1) Half a pint is the smallest amount you can buy near me.
2) Depends if you're feeding loads of lines or just trying different hookbaits. Back when I used to fish canal matches we'd often feed 4 different lines with different baits. I keep my fishing a lot simpler these days and usually go with a plan to keep the bill and wasted bait down.
3) Adds weight to the groundbait and some reckon it has nutrients too but to me it's more to change the consistency and weight.
2. I mean hookbaits. On the occasion I have gone to fisheries I have taken... maggots, worms, bread, corn, meat, spicy meat, krill paste, bloodworm paste, mussels, prawns, cockles, pellets....

Was wondering if you can give them too much choice 🤔

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I would keep it simple, and maggots pinkies caster are sold by the ½ pint lol, pellet and corn worm maggot, I have a tub of mixed bandums, pellets, saves carrying a tub of 6mm 8mm red white ect just put some of each in one tub there only for the hook, mole Hill soil is used to make groundbait heavier and to cut the feed content also breaks down quicker, unless your fishing deep venues, or in depths of winter or rivers I would not bother with soil. If that's to general let me know.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
2. I mean hookbaits. On the occasion I have gone to fisheries I have taken... maggots, worms, bread, corn, meat, spicy meat, krill paste, bloodworm paste, mussels, prawns, cockles, pellets....

Was wondering if you can give them too much choice 🤔
I would say you could never have too many hookbaits within reason, just as many as you can try in a session. But everyone's different.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I would say you could never have too many hookbaits within reason, just as many as you can try in a session. But everyone's different.
I noticed people coarse fishing turn up late compared to me at fisheries and leaving early. I generally do a 7-7 when I go. (Earlier if permitted). I can try a lot of baits.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I would keep it simple, and maggots pinkies caster are sold by the ½ pint lol, pellet and corn worm maggot, I have a tub of mixed bandums, pellets, saves carrying a tub of 6mm 8mm red white ect just put some of each in one tub there only for the hook, mole Hill soil is used to make groundbait heavier and to cut the feed content also breaks down quicker, unless your fishing deep venues, or in depths of winter or rivers I would not bother with soil. If that's to general let me know.
No it's fine. The reason I ask about maggot quantities is because I have never tried pinkies os squats. I want to try them but don't want to end up with pints and pints of bait

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
So 50p worth of maggots isn't a thing anymore! I knew I was right to ask before I went the shop! 😂

OldTaff

Site Supporter
1) Half pint of maggots is the least they sell in tackle shops around me & that’s £2 a time

2) I keep it simple with a maybe 2 or 3 hookbait choices and then change presentation to find the fish, if they are on the feed they will take a bait properly presented.

3) Mole soil - my dad taught me to use it because it’s normally very fine in consistency and adds weight to groundbait which can be essential on the river at times. It is also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying bags of leam to do the same job.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
A pint of pinkies, squats goes a long way pinkies kept in the fridge will last a 2-3 weeks, squats are a canal bait traditionally I've never bothered as no canals round me so no shops stock them,

scuttster

So 50p worth of maggots isn't a thing anymore! I knew I was right to ask before I went the shop! 😂
I recon it was a crafty ploy by your dad and uncle to get some cheap bait 🤣 send a young lad in with only 50p and the bloke behind the counter will more than likely fill the bait tub up far more for that than an adult going in asking for a 1/2pt!!

The adult is already hooked. Get the youngster hooked and shopping in his shop from then on!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like long sessions too but more so in summer. I can fish till my hearts content when the weathers nice. Today I took a chopped up tin of Bacon Grill for the hook and ended up throwing it all at the end without even trying it, things like that are I why I tend to stick to a few baits. Other times I will take shelf life baits with just in case.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
1) Half pint of maggots is the least they sell in tackle shops around me & that’s £2 a time

2) I keep it simple with a maybe 2 or 3 hookbait choices and then change presentation to find the fish, if they are on the feed they will take a bait properly presented.

3) Mole soil - my dad taught me to use it because it’s normally very fine in consistency and adds weight to groundbait which can be essential on the river at times. It is also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying bags of leam to do the same job.
I don't mind the price just don't want pints of leftover maggots. So ½ pint red, ½ pint white, ½ pint pinky and ½ pint casters should be plenty for 12hrs.

Don't need mole soil as its not deep water.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I recon it was a crafty ploy by your dad and uncle to get some cheap bait 🤣 send a young lad in with only 50p and the bloke behind the counter will more than likely fill the bait tub up far more for that than an adult going in asking for a 1/2pt!!

The adult is already hooked. Get the youngster hooked and shopping in his shop from then on!
😂 no it was a tiny little round bait box and 50p worth would fill it. Two shops sold them by 50p!

They did it because we only went from 6:30pm til 8:30pm ish...

I'm not poor! 🤣🤣🤣

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@RegalisXFM everyday is different but that's a good starting point, you will only know after you start feeding what the response is if your float fishing feeding by catapult your going to feed more than with a feeder most of the time, I spent 5 hours at our club lake feeding 15-25 maggots a cast nearly went through a pint ish, on another day it could only be ½ pint as I would only feed every 3rd cast.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
@RegalisXFM everyday is different but that's a good starting point, you will only know after you start feeding what the response is if your float fishing feeding by catapult your going to feed more than with a feeder most of the time, I spent 5 hours at our club lake feeding 15-25 maggots a cast nearly went through a pint ish, on another day it could only be ½ pint as I would only feed every 3rd cast.
I like using maggots a lot for carp fishing but I'm used to buying 5 or more pints at a time. If I start to run out when course fishing I will have to cut the loose feed maggots with some hemp or micro's maybe.

Until see a pattern in how much I need to feed..

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
It all depends on the day. At least with maggots if there are leftover bait fridge it or freeze it problem solved.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I like long sessions too but more so in summer. I can fish till my hearts content when the weathers nice. Today I took a chopped up tin of Bacon Grill for the hook and ended up throwing it all at the end without even trying it, things like that are I why I tend to stick to a few baits. Other times I will take shelf life baits with just in case.
I would either freeze the meat or take it home and make fried rice and put it in! 😄

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I would either freeze the meat or take it home and make fried rice and put it in! 😄
I like the eat it idea haha. :LOL: If I froze it, next time I'd have used it would be next season now so not worth it. :(