Bait presentation tips please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightycee

Hi All, Ive heard the term bait presentation batted around a bit when ive been out fishing and to be perfectly honest im not sure how to present my bait other than put a big old block of PLM on a hair rig or a boilie on a hair rig. What size cube of meat should i use and is there any truth behind carp not biting square lumps of meat because of the edges?...Also,, How far or close to the hook should my boilie be as i tend to buy my hair rigs ready made and my boilie is quite a way away from my hook. Cheers once again!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I always nibble the corners and edges off a cube of luncheon meat.

Don't know if it really makes any difference.

But I DO know it tastes bloody 'orrible,
[xx(]

gillm

As for cubed meat, that's nonsence, carp do take it. I cube and punch my meat though and prefer punched.

I would try and match the size of the bait to the size of the hook. The bigger the meat, the bigger the hook.

I only fish small comercials, so I have my bait as close to the hook as I get. I tie my own hair rigs with quickstops, but I do have some korum pre-tied ones, on them there is a big gap. Carp anglers tend to use long hairs and have a gap so the 'rig mechanics' are better. I have a short hair and no gap. It's all down to personel preference.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
with meat a more natural look is to simply rip some meat off and mount straight on the hook, more than likely get you more bites than not....

boilie rig, well, it really all depends on the situation mate, you can have a long hair, short hair, long hook link, short hook etc...

i use hte KD rig for all my boilie work, its simple and give me a perfect presentation when fishing over any bottom. The hook is simply protected with a small stick of boilie crumb in a PVA mesh bag.

if you fishing a standard KK then i would have the boilie a around 5mm off the hook bend.

KD a litte longer

HattMayes

Its your rig that is likely to put fish off, not square luncheon meat. IMO food is food. The size and freshness of the bait will affect catch rate, but not the shape. That sounds like another excuse for not catching, and one i might use next time i return home after blanking :)

mightycee

Im new to angling Hatt, its not an excuse mate. Ive heard various terms batted around and want to know if they are gospel or just hear say.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by mightycee

Im new to angling Hatt, its not an excuse mate. Ive heard various terms batted around and want to know if they are gospel or just hear say.

i have caught on square, rectangular, ripped off pieces of meat, singles, doubles etc.....

present the bait in the right manor, with a nice area of freebies and you will catch..

pole addict

If carp were put off by cubes of meat they wouldn't sell so many meat cutters.

Presentation refers to a few things....

The way your bait is mounted on the hook, hair rig, hair length, size and gauge of hook,size of bait.

The diameter and material of your hooklength, also the length of it.

Float, leger, method feeder, bottom bait, popped up, shallow.

A lot is trial and error and a bit of experimenting. You can always try what has been successful for other anglers on the lake. Ask them, or the bailiff.

At the end of the day, you have to make your hookbait look and behave as closely as a free offering does.

What works one day will not necessarily work the next although certain rigs and methods do go in phases. As the fish wise up to them and get caught more often then they lose their effectiveness and then some innovative angler comes up with something new, or an older method once more becomes effective.

If you're not getting bites then change something.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have known days when decent sized carp would only take 1/8th inch cubes confidently. Anything larger resulted in bites with no hook up. Normally though I will use 1/4 inch cubes. But as I cut by eye with a knife its not exact.

As for presentation, I tend to fish about 4 inch overdepth and have just started using the Korum Quickstops which are superb. Normally have the bait on a hair quite tight to the hook. But I haven't noticed a problem with the bait about 1/2 - 3/4 inch away.

bigp27

Big Pete
Put your bait on the hair and if you think that it's too far away from the hook just wrap the hair around the shank until it's at the desired distance fron the hook, (saw Mick Brown do this on telly and it works a treat).

Status
Not open for further replies.