Bait Pouch

kingfisher5

Now summer is over, I’m looking at getting in a few short sessions on a free stretch of the Soar near where I live.

Can anyone recommend some form of bait pouch to save having to keep reaching for the bait box for a few maggots to throw into the swim?

Thanks

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Are you after one that ties round the waist or an apron type? Shakespeare do both...

Waist type..

Apron type...

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Diawa, Sensas and Dynamite Baits also make them.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I hate waist pouches with a passion, and they are mostly designed for clean/dry baits like boilies anyway. I don't mind a bait apron, but they are a bit of a pain when roving. A good old fashioned maggot bag is my preference. However, I'm glad I managed to get hold of the upgraded confections (waterproof/resistant Cordura) that Lone Angler produced a few years back while I had the chance. If I didn't have them, I'd make do with bog standard cloth bags. Sensas is the only tackle brand I've seen doing them for a while, but there are a few little cottage industry producers.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I've still got my Brennan and Hickman bait apron somewhere. Anyone remember Brennan and Hickman ?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I still have my Dick Clegg International apron. Try and find one of those now.

adriang

Site Supporter
If it's 'stand up float fishing' using maggots/casters/hemp, I'd suggest a bait apron. I bought a new one about a year ago, the Shakespeare one mentioned above, and it's spot on. A deeper pouch for 'main bait' and a smaller one, which I use for hemp plus another what I'd describe as a 'non-bait' pocket for things like a disgorger, hooks, weights, etc.

I looked at one of those boilie caddy pouches, and I thought that if open, its a risk for spilling (slipping, knocking wth the rod butt while feeding, etc) so stayed with a bait apron. I previously had a really old Daiwa one, and it was falling apart, but I've had it for about 25 years.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Coincidence , have just ordered an Apron myself from Halkon Hunt . Looked the most favourable for what i wanted. Sometimes using as in roving, wading etc but mostly for Whip and Long Lining Pole work, swinging to hand it can get very messy with slime and bait and cleaning one of these is easier than cleaning a jacket. Maybe its an age thing but river pole / whip work an apron always was part of the set up- continental you know !

Fred Davis

diawa do a bait apron/Smoch which has a rain flap which means you won't have maggots climbing everywhere when it rains

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Coincidence , have just ordered an Apron myself from Halkon Hunt . Looked the most favourable for what i wanted. Sometimes using as in roving, wading etc but mostly for Whip and Long Lining Pole work, swinging to hand it can get very messy with slime and bait and cleaning one of these is easier than cleaning a jacket. Maybe its an age thing but river pole / whip work an apron always was part of the set up- continental you know !
If it's from Halkon Hunt it will be good quality. I didn't know they made them. Well done. ?

kingfisher5

Thanks for the feedback gents.... I’m off to look for an apron from all your advice. Having had a Halkon bib and braces and jacket for the past 5 years which has been brilliant, I think I will have a look at theirs first