Bait options please?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s a well known fact that you can change a pellet line to maggots, but not a maggot line to pellet, it just doesn’t work..that’s why, as long as the water temperature is around 5-6 degrees, you always start on pellet, if it’s only a couple of degrees, then start with maggots, well that’s what I’ve been shown , others may have different views 🤷‍♂️
I must have fished some weird or easy waters then as I've always gone from maggot to pellet or meat, often have fed pellet alongside the maggot from the start though so maybe that makes the difference? This place is the first I've fished where maggot to pellet doesn't seem to work. Hoping to get a swim on it again tomorrow (near empty on a sunny Friday but a sunny Sunday could be the opposite!) so will try two lines and see what happens 👍🏻

Will fish proper gear again as well as going with full on roach gear yesterday meant it felt like I spent more time playing fish than fishing 😂

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Ive had that happen many times ,thought it was me lol. Maggots first swap to pellets and just an occasional fish . The only way i got out of that was a completely different line
🤷‍♂️Don’t know why, I usually fish all the lines first with pellet, looking for a response, if I get one happy days, if not I go back over all the lines with maggots, you can always try maggots on the hook on pellet lines without wrecking them, the results are instant, they’re attracted to the pellets, but for some reason don’t want to eat them , put a maggot on and -bang !!🤷‍♂️

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I must have fished some weird or easy waters then as I've always gone from maggot to pellet or meat, often have fed pellet alongside the maggot from the start though so maybe that makes the difference? This place is the first I've fished where maggot to pellet doesn't seem to work. Hoping to get a swim on it again tomorrow (near empty on a sunny Friday but a sunny Sunday could be the opposite!) so will try two lines and see what happens 👍🏻

Will fish proper gear again as well as going with full on roach gear yesterday meant it felt like I spent more time playing fish than fishing 😂
I’m not being funny but if you fished like that on a match you’d get absolutely mullered 🤷‍♂️You could probably come to tunnel barn , for instance, and pleasure fish like that and catch 50lb, which if you’re happy with that ,great, but in a match you need 150-250lbs, and it’s a lot harder than sitting on your own chucking bait about

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
🤷‍♂️Don’t know why, I usually fish all the lines first with pellet, looking for a response, if I get one happy days, if not I go back over all the lines with maggots, you can always try maggots on the hook on pellet lines without wrecking them, the results are instant, they’re attracted to the pellets, but for some reason don’t want to eat them , put a maggot on and -bang !!🤷‍♂️
The only time i had a result was at redwood in winter ,pellets over groundbait , then swapped to banded caster and or maggot up in the water ,weird combination and tactic but i came 3rd , i surprised myself ,what a day 34lb ish on crazy winter tactic

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The only time i had a result was at redwood in winter ,pellets over groundbait , then swapped to banded caster and or maggot up in the water ,weird combination and tactic but i came 3rd , i surprised myself ,what a day 34lb ish on crazy winter tactic
It’s like anything mate, nothing is set in stone, you just have to have a starting point which is right 90% of the time , and adapt accordingly.....I was pegged next to a lad at Tunnel once, in the winter, he went straight over and potted in a full big pot of maggots, then fished a pellet over the top, I thought, you’ve f****d that mate, he went on to win our section 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

It’s like anything mate, nothing is set in stone, you just have to have a starting point which is right 90% of the time , and adapt accordingly.....I was pegged next to a lad at Tunnel once, in the winter, he went straight over and potted in a full big pot of maggots, then fished a pellet over the top, I thought, you’ve f****d that mate, he went on to win our section 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Its mad ,i think ,mine and that tactic must only work once in a blue moon. I only went to up in the water to add fish to the net (silvers) because i wasnt catching on the deck ,sheet or bust ,never dreamed id come 3rd with 34lb ,2 or 3 sponsored anglers there and loads of locals .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m not being funny but if you fished like that on a match you’d get absolutely mullered 🤷‍♂️You could probably come to tunnel barn , for instance, and pleasure fish like that and catch 50lb, which if you’re happy with that ,great, but in a match you need 150-250lbs, and it’s a lot harder than sitting on your own chucking bait about
Oh mate if I fished like I do on the rivers (where I sort of know what I'm doing) in matches I'd probably get mullered let alone with how I fish on commercials where I just do a bit more than chuck and chance. I just don't fish hard enough I just do enough to get enough bites for a busy day. On the rivers that means I do have to fish fairly properly to catch well but when I'm on commercials when they're fishing well it's just a novelty for me to be able to get bites easily so I don't tend to go too hard. It's nice enough for me to just have a day catching plenty on such places and not be mentally cooked at the end of it.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
It’s a well known fact that you can change a pellet line to maggots, but not a maggot line to pellet, it just doesn’t work..that’s why, as long as the water temperature is around 5-6 degrees, you always start on pellet, if it’s only a couple of degrees, then start with maggots, well that’s what I’ve been shown , others may have different views 🤷‍♂️

Gaz, that’s the sort of gold that I love about MD 🤩👍🏻

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Gazza the bagga knows his stuff 😁

Yup. And my devious plan is to siphon off all that he knows from this forum and by asking the odd question (not so many as to raise his suspicions). I shall then suddenly appear at a match and soundly thrash him by means of his own tactics.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Only joking (or am I?) 😜

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Yup. And my devious plan is to siphon off all that he knows from this forum and by asking the odd question (not so many as to raise his suspicions). I shall then suddenly appear at a match and soundly thrash him by means of his own tactics.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Only joking (or am I?) 😜
Ive been told -Pick your matches, and fish to your strengths 🤷‍♂️Keeps your success rate looking good 😂😂😂😂😂

baggy

Mark Saunders
Temperature has warmed up enough for pellets now, I never take worm on commercials in winter
It’s dropping again from tomorrow with an easterly wind. If it stayed warmer worm would be a good option, worm is like a carp magnet at Viaduct and Stafford so much so you can’t use too much in silvers match from September to March as you will hook upwards of 30 carp in a match

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It’s dropping again from tomorrow with an easterly wind. If it stayed warmer worm would be a good option, worm is like a carp magnet at Viaduct and Stafford so much so you can’t use too much in silvers match from September to March as you will hook upwards of 30 carp in a match
Kiss of death at Tunnel 🤷‍♂️