Bait options please?

Rick123

Site Supporter
So I'm out Monday, couple of questions for commercial bait choice please? I'm thinking of taking some casters for the roach on the waggler?

Then some expanders 4mm for the pole. Is it the right time for expanders at this time of year guys please? Maybe feed some 2mm soaked over the top with a bit of flavour on them for the pole? Corn and worms as back up baits?

Hoping to get a full seasons use out of the Acolyte pole in 2021.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’m out Monday as well, on a lake that’s all carp from 8oz-15lb ...I’m trying out some different combinations of GB...but I’ll mostly be using micros, again trying different options, 4, and 6mm hooker(expander)pellets, and some maggots(live and dead)..I will have some 4,and 6mm hard pellets as well ..

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Had probably 50lb of mixed species on maggot on Friday, couldn’t get a definite bite on expander or hard pellet let alone catch a fish on them.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Had probably 50lb of mixed species on maggot on Friday, couldn’t get a definite bite on expander or hard pellet let alone catch a fish on them.
Well the good thing about pellets is if you start on them, they’re an instant bait, so you soon know if the fish don’t want them, and you can change over to maggots...No good starting on maggots and switching to pellets it just doesn’t work, unless you start a new line up 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

pies

Site Supporter
Temperature has warmed up enough for pellets now, I never take worm on commercials in winter
I know air temps are up but water still like ice. Will see tomorrow im taking expanders and maggot might try a bit of GB

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I know air temps are up but water still like ice. Will see tomorrow im taking expanders and maggot might try a bit of GB
Some water is still cold depending on the venues really, and as I said if you start on pellets, and can’t get a response, then just change to maggots...personally I think it’s warmed up enough for micros and expanders, maybe not a hard pellet approach 🤷‍♂️I guess I’ll find out on Monday 😂

Total

Site Supporter
I’m out Monday as well, on a lake that’s all carp from 8oz-15lb ...I’m trying out some different combinations of GB...but I’ll mostly be using micros, again trying different options, 4, and 6mm hooker(expander)pellets, and some maggots(live and dead)..I will have some 4,and 6mm hard pellets as well ..
Be interesting to see how it works out for you on that lake Gaz as If I remember correctly it's only a couple of feet deep?:unsure:......Might be a late job?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Be interesting to see how it works out for you on that lake Gaz as If I remember correctly it's only a couple of feet deep?:unsure:......Might be a late job?
5ft deep at 10-13m, 3ft at about 5m, very shallow edges

pies

Site Supporter
Some water is still cold depending on the venues really, and as I said if you start on pellets, and can’t get a response, then just change to maggots...personally I think it’s warmed up enough for micros and expanders, maybe not a hard pellet approach 🤷‍♂️I guess I’ll find out on Monday 😂
Hope your right 😃

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well the good thing about pellets is if you start on them, they’re an instant bait, so you soon know if the fish don’t want them, and you can change over to maggots...No good starting on maggots and switching to pellets it just doesn’t work, unless you start a new line up 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Ah that’s interesting, is that a cold water thing? Generally I start on maggots then go onto pellet if I get bitted out which tends to work but doesn’t seem to on this place.

Was always going to start on maggot yesterday with the frost on the ground as tbh I thought it was going to take quite a while to get a bite! Was so surprised that I hooked a carp first cast that I made a complete hash of it and lost it then almost fell off my chair when I got another second cast! Did get that one in though. Was then just silvers til about midday then the carp really started up. Thought switching to pellet would get one a Chuck then but brought nothing at all yet back to maggot and one on every time that something else didn’t beat them to it.

Makes sense what you say that they must have got preoccupied with the maggots. Think it was the ground bait that really pulled them in though as I was getting way more carp in my swim than grandad who didn’t ground bait. Gets you thinking doesn’t it 🤔

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Mr Ship says the same ,weird how they wont switch frim mags to pellet well

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Ah that’s interesting, is that a cold water thing? Generally I start on maggots then go onto pellet if I get bitted out which tends to work but doesn’t seem to on this place.

Was always going to start on maggot yesterday with the frost on the ground as tbh I thought it was going to take quite a while to get a bite! Was so surprised that I hooked a carp first cast that I made a complete hash of it and lost it then almost fell off my chair when I got another second cast! Did get that one in though. Was then just silvers til about midday then the carp really started up. Thought switching to pellet would get one a Chuck then but brought nothing at all yet back to maggot and one on every time that something else didn’t beat them to it.

Makes sense what you say that they must have got preoccupied with the maggots. Think it was the ground bait that really pulled them in though as I was getting way more carp in my swim than grandad who didn’t ground bait. Gets you thinking doesn’t it 🤔
It’s a well known fact that you can change a pellet line to maggots, but not a maggot line to pellet, it just doesn’t work..that’s why, as long as the water temperature is around 5-6 degrees, you always start on pellet, if it’s only a couple of degrees, then start with maggots, well that’s what I’ve been shown , others may have different views 🤷‍♂️

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
It’s a well known fact that you can change a pellet line to maggots, but not a maggot line to pellet, it just doesn’t work..that’s why, as long as the water temperature is around 5-6 degrees, you always start on pellet, if it’s only a couple of degrees, then start with maggots, well that’s what I’ve been shown , others may have different views 🤷‍♂️
Ive had that happen many times ,thought it was me lol. Maggots first swap to pellets and just an occasional fish . The only way i got out of that was a completely different line