Bait Droppers

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
As I say, only two pegs at the stretch and very fast flowing so I love to experiment with tactics there, I would even try a pole maybe with a flat float but I think I'd be the first person in history to ever fish this weir with a pole. I'll see how I get on with a 16' rod underarming it, it's not much of a cast so will hopefully work.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I don’t like using bait droppers on the rod I am float fishing with. I set it up on an Avon / barbel rod. Bait my float rod up and rest it ready to cast in. Chuck dropper in, reel it back in and flick float rod out and try to trot my hook bait down with the free offerings.

On some swims I take my MAP tks pole and use that to very quietly lower bait dropper in without the disturbance of casting it in.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It's about 10m max to the middle of the river. Float fishing the eddy on the far side where I usually feeder fish is something I haven't even tried to do yet, I have a feeling the float will just get dragged into the main flow, but that far side eddy is where the fish sit especially when it's cold, I'm still going to have a go over the next couple of months on the float and bait dropper though.
You could set your pole up as well. Use your pole to bait dropper your free offerings into place then run a stick or waggler over it ??? Just a thought.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I don’t like using bait droppers on the rod I am float fishing with. I set it up on an Avon / barbel rod. Bait my float rod up and rest it ready to cast in. Chuck dropper in, reel it back in and flick float rod out and try to trot my hook bait down with the free offerings.

On some swims I take my MAP tks pole and use that to very quietly lower bait dropper in without the disturbance of casting it in.
🙄. Bet me to it. Sorry mate. Didn’t see your post. 👍

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's about 10m max to the middle of the river. Float fishing the eddy on the far side where I usually feeder fish is something I haven't even tried to do yet, I have a feeling the float will just get dragged into the main flow, but that far side eddy is where the fish sit especially when it's cold, I'm still going to have a go over the next couple of months on the float and bait dropper though.

Nowv theres a situation where using your pole would be the far better option, feeding by dropper and fishing

Arch

Site Supporter

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
As I say, only two pegs at the stretch and very fast flowing so I love to experiment with tactics there, I would even try a pole maybe with a flat float but I think I'd be the first person in history to ever fish this weir with a pole. I'll see how I get on with a 16' rod underarming it, it's not much of a cast so will hopefully work.
Then why not make history. Free line Leger on the pole, its great fun. Just sit back and wait for the elastic to shoot out.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Mine are so old I can’t remember the make😂 Thamesley maybe?
Only time I ever use them is for getting choppy to the bottom in flow or deep stillwater. Any other time it’s loosefeed when clear, groundbait when coloured. Hemp is a great loosefeed in flow👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mine are so old I can’t remember the make😂 Thamesley maybe?
Only time I ever use them is for getting choppy to the bottom in flow or deep stillwater. Any other time it’s loosefeed when clear, groundbait when coloured. Hemp is a great loosefeed in flow👍
Thamesley ..... That name is a blast from the past. Thamesley bombs. 👍

Nicky Dodds

IMG_1422.JPG I use them a lot when pole fishing. I have attached wire rings to the end of my cupping kits. To this I have a larger snap link swivel and a length of fly line backing with a metre of 12lb line and on the end another large snap link swivel. The combined length of the 12lb line and backing coincides with the length of the top kit I'm using on the day be it top 3 or top 4. The white backing is so I can work out where my feed is deposited in a flow and the 1m of mono because it's less conspicuous. Shipping out is with the dropper hung over a tie wrap slid along the relevant pole section and when in position the pole is raised so the dropper is freed and when it's stopped swinging lowered into the swim.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Lots of good advice already.
for a river, anything smaller than the dinsmores is not very useful.
I also tend to use a pole or heavy whip to feed with a dropper.
I’d add that I don’t find them very useful for chub .... which generally prefer a steady stream of bait falling through the water than a bed of bait.
i do use them for
laying down a bed of micro pellets in small rivers for barbel
Chopped worm fishing
Getting maggots down below bleak, but not using ground bait (eg. Wye at Hereford)
feeding maggots for roach and dace in deep or boily pegs where loose feed can go anywhere
Feeding liccy bread in deep flowing water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Lots of good advice here so thank you all. Like I say, I like to experiment at this place so hopefully this will work out better than my PVA bag and Paste experiments there, both of which never really took off. I could try a pole but so much for travelling light there lol. But I guess I don't have to walk to the peg so it would be no problem, just having the motivation to set it up. I'll see how I get on.

trotter2

Lots of good advice already.
for a river, anything smaller than the dinsmores is not very useful.
I also tend to use a pole or heavy whip to feed with a dropper.
I’d add that I don’t find them very useful for chub .... which generally prefer a steady stream of bait falling through the water than a bed of bait.
i do use them for
laying down a bed of micro pellets in small rivers for barbel
Chopped worm fishing
Getting maggots down below bleak, but not using ground bait (eg. Wye at Hereford)
feeding maggots for roach and dace in deep or boily pegs where loose feed can go anywhere
Feeding liccy bread in deep flowing water.
I have the same issue some fish prefer to take the bait as its falling through the water column.
If your fishing an area that does not respond to ground bait what I find works is indroducing a longer stem to the dropper so it releases the bait off the bottom say a couple of feet up in the water. It still helps reduce the time it takes for the bait to reach bottom but acts as a mid water dropper if you take my meaning.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The Chub here really like maggot feeders, evidenced by spewing up a load of maggots when you catch them, so there's something to be said about a slow stream of bait going through the water even if some would say spewing up maggots means the shoal is small, so I'm not sure how well the bait dropper will work, and if the bait will just get taken by the flow too quickly anyway, but there are other species like Barbel there.

Before I'd caught Barbel there, a local told me the way to catch them was to put out several bait droppers full of hemp in a spot I rarely fish, a bit of a slack close to the brow of the weir, I doubted it slightly but now having had loads of Barbel from there I think there probably was something to what he was saying and I shouldn't have doubted it.

matti

Site Supporter
I'm not adverse to using a bait dropper on the pole, to get bait straight on the bottom without attracting loads of small fish 🐟

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I'm not adverse to using a bait dropper on the pole, to get bait straight on the bottom without attracting loads of small fish 🐟
Best used this time of year on canals and small stillwaters for red squat and red maggot fished over it. Cheap alternative to joker and bloodworm.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If the small fish return to the weir I intend to use it on I will jump with joy and probably just loose feed as it makes a nice alternative to when there's only big fish there but I don't expect them to return until next summer, and even then, after 2 summers of fishing there the small fish have only been there for the space of about 2 months.